Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Variables in header stopped working mid-document

Community Beginner ,
Oct 02, 2020 Oct 02, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi there,

I wonder if anyone could please help me. I see this bug's been reported in 2017, but I'm experiencing this issue of my headers (consisting of text variables) suddenly not updating anymore.

I'm talking under correction, but think it started after my last Indesign update. Having said this, I should add that my CC 2020 is up to date, so that cannot be the problem.

Thanks in advance for any help!

M

TOPICS
Bug

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Community Beginner , Oct 02, 2020 Oct 02, 2020

Oooh, I figured it out!

From mid-doc I was typesetting chapter by chapter and had the headings in a separate box (not linked to body text). Turned out linking the header box with body boxes fixed the problem. It's strange though, as I don't think it should be like this...what's the point in defining a paragraph style then that needs to be in the header if it doesn't acknowledge any textbox on the page. 

But anyway, for now the problem is solved and I can continue.

Votes

Translate

Translate
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Moved from Using the Community (which is about the forums) to Indesign forum
To find a forum for your program please start at https://community.adobe.com/

Also, please post the web link where you started, that pointed you to the Using the Community forum

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I don't have a web link. I found it using Cloud's Help and Support.

Thanks for the tip though.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Oooh, I figured it out!

From mid-doc I was typesetting chapter by chapter and had the headings in a separate box (not linked to body text). Turned out linking the header box with body boxes fixed the problem. It's strange though, as I don't think it should be like this...what's the point in defining a paragraph style then that needs to be in the header if it doesn't acknowledge any textbox on the page. 

But anyway, for now the problem is solved and I can continue.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Guide ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Hi maryke007,

there are obviously incorrect settings in your file. If you want to share your file with us we can find where the problem is

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines