Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Vcard/VCF in pdf

Community Beginner ,
Mar 29, 2019 Mar 29, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi!

I will explain what my idea is in case anyone has any alternative to how to do it. I am doing a digital business card that will be sent by phone to clients. It is created so that if you click on the logo, it opens the business web site; if you click on the phone it opens the caller; if you click on the email it sends an email (duh), etc. I was "suggested" that maybe there could be a way for the client to click something and open a vcard with all the data too. Is it possible?

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Community Expert , Mar 29, 2019 Mar 29, 2019

Hi,

Can you describe in what format you will send that digital business card?

Because a vCard is a file, I would suggest to upload it to the website and insert a link to that in your design. The visitor clicks on the link and it downloads a vCard from the website.

Votes

Translate

Translate
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi,

Can you describe in what format you will send that digital business card?

Because a vCard is a file, I would suggest to upload it to the website and insert a link to that in your design. The visitor clicks on the link and it downloads a vCard from the website.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Apr 01, 2019 Apr 01, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I ended up doing what you have suggested. I was concerned by what Beni Chagnon said about it being flagged, but since it is supposed to be sent to one contact to another, it shouldn't happen. Thank you!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Consider using QR Codes as it could include all the info you want in a simple 'icon'

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Interactive PDF beyond Acrobat and Reader on a desktop is a crapshoot.

Why does this have to be a PDF? What does “sent by phone” mean?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

By "sent by phone" I mean that instead of giving a paper business card, our salesmen could send a pdf (I was creating it in a pdf, but I could use any other format that fits the purpose) say by WhatsApp or any other medium. It is something I was asked to do, so I guess it could be useful for them in some cases.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

First, many email systems won't let users click on something and execute a file; and that's what would happen when they click anything and the vcard opens. So right off the bat, a sizable portion of your intended audience will be prevented from doing this.

Additionally, large institutions (corporations, government, etc.) would flag that email as a security threat and possibly block anything from your domain name ever again. This is not a good outcome for a business card!

You should give the user the choice of whether to open the vcard or not. If they click (without any warning of what will happen) and the vcard is opened, you have violated security protocols.

Some other ideas to consider:

1. Send the vcard the traditional way: attach it to an email.
  2. When the user clicks, take them to a webpage where they have the option to download the vcard and possibly learn other information about your company.

And to answer your original question, yes, you can script the PDF to open the vcard when something is clicked. Do that in Acrobat after the PDF has been exported, not InDesign.

It sure would be nice to write the Acrobat script in InDesign and have it automatically built into the PDF when we export from InDesign, but that is just a dream for now!

|    Bevi Chagnon   |  Designer & Technologist for Accessible Documents
|    Classes & Books for Accessible InDesign, PDFs & MS Office |

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jul 04, 2019 Jul 04, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Bevi,
Thanks in advance, can I ask about this part of your answer of the original question

And to answer your original question, yes, you can script the PDF to open the vcard when something is clicked. Do that in Acrobat after the PDF has been exported,

I do have a PDF file with a phone number in it and my client wants the phone number to be clickable and to pop-up a (vcard)

to "save contact"
I have found a way to open the phone number -by clicking on it-  on the caller dialing screen but it wasn't enough, I need it to open save as contact (number with name ....etc)
Thanks a lot
Bevi Chagnon | PubCom

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Jul 08, 2019 Jul 08, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi,

The easiest is to save the vCard file online, on a web site that anyone can read.

Then embed the hyperlink to this in your document.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks a lot Eric

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi,

if this works for you, consider marking this reply as the 'correct answer' to help other users with the same query.

Thanks

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I wanted to do so (marking the reply as "correct answer") , but I asked my question in someone else's thread so I do not have the option, all I can do is to mark it (helpful) ...... Many thanks to you Eric

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Jul 10, 2019 Jul 10, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

That's great, thanks

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Sep 11, 2020 Sep 11, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Hi Eric, i need to attach a vcf to a pdf so that a user can click a button and open it. I've tried everything, searched everywhere and i can't find how to do this. I've got a big pitch to a law firm in a couple days and would really like this to make it easy for them. I can't do a link to dropbox or other sites because of the strict security. HELP!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Aug 14, 2020 Aug 14, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

VCF file when uploaded to server/dropbox works for Android when linked to PDF BUT does not work on iPhone. Any clue why? Any Alternative for the same?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines