• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Want to Add a Return After End of Bold Text in Multi Page Book

Community Beginner ,
Sep 16, 2020 Sep 16, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hello! Looking for a way to "FIND BOLD TEXT" and then at the end of the Bold Phrase, "INSERT RETURN" I have a 150 Page book with section heads in Bold that are in need of Paragraph Returns. 

I initially through I would use find format and change format to create a unique character style. So far I have the Find Format and Change Format working (on the find side), but even with the Change Format: correctly entered, it is deleting the text (it finds the bold phrase, but when I press change, it deletes it as it is referring to the blank dialogue text box for replacing text).

Thanks!

TOPICS
How to

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Community Beginner , Sep 26, 2020 Sep 26, 2020

Thanks for your time on this. I think I have found the best way to move text from a scanned text (in Acrobat & after OCR) into Indesign is to "Copy With Formatting" in Acrobat, paste it in Word (which keeps the formatting) and then copy it again and paste it into Indesign, from Word. It works!

Crazy but it solves almost all the issues I mentioned above, when I was copying from Acrobat (with Formatting) and pasting directly into Indesign. MWord is the key. I think I have resolved this issue, and

Votes

Translate

Translate
Community Expert ,
Sep 21, 2020 Sep 21, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Are you in Text tab or GREP tab?

Mike Witherell

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Sep 24, 2020 Sep 24, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks! So I think I found a workaround to the issue, I am using GREP and the issue is that when I find style BOLD and try to enter a carriage return in the Found box, it simply deletes the found word AND inserts a Carriage Return. I am guessing "Found Text" with a \r would solve that. In combination with Positive Look Behind?

My larger question, in case  you have any ideas on this one, is as a book producer, when I scan in and OCR the pages of a book (older software files no longer in existence), it is tricky getting the Acrobat OCR to copy and paste into Indesign properly. I have been able to "Copy to Clipboard" in Acrobat, and paste into Indesign, but it is finicky and pretty much hit or miss whether it brings over the formatting along with the text. 

Most often it brings over each line with a RETURN at the end, and once those are removed, I am left with trying to reinsert Returns at the end of each paragraph - over and over again. Which is a nightmare for a 150 page book.

My simpleton workaround was to save custom GREP searches (for each common English letter followed by [.] and positive lookbehind). With special custom searches for other punctuation as well (as in ! " and such).

Then as a I scan the physical book, all I need is the last letter and punctuation of each paragraph to search and insert a Return. Quick Example: Saved search for the Letter "h" at the end of a paragraph:

FIND

h[.](?<=)

REPLACE

h.\r

If there is a better way I am open to it. Sorry, this may be a really kindergarden solution to using GREP,  I am new to it all. I may also be missing some functionality I could use on the Acrobat side in order to copy, as well.

Appreciate any insights anyone has. Or links to previous solutions.

SB

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Enthusiast ,
Sep 24, 2020 Sep 24, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Can you post a screenshot of an example of the text you're wanting to fix?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Sep 26, 2020 Sep 26, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Thanks for your time on this. I think I have found the best way to move text from a scanned text (in Acrobat & after OCR) into Indesign is to "Copy With Formatting" in Acrobat, paste it in Word (which keeps the formatting) and then copy it again and paste it into Indesign, from Word. It works!

Crazy but it solves almost all the issues I mentioned above, when I was copying from Acrobat (with Formatting) and pasting directly into Indesign. MWord is the key. I think I have resolved this issue, and I very much appreciate your willingness to help!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines