Highlighted

Wanting to build a Catalogue for Food Service - New to Indesign

New Here ,
Jul 28, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi I am a novice in using InDesign but have used photoshop. We are a food services company and I would like to build a catalogue which I can fill with product images and pricing and also make changes to it from month to month. I need to print it and also make it downloadable from our website. Are there templates out there I could use that somone can point me to, or the best online turorial to help me. 

I have an example of one we use but is not very usable. Not sure what it was made with.

Thank you

D

Adobe Community Professional
Correct answer by Laubender | Adobe Community Professional

"Not sure what it was made with"

Check the PDF's document properties e.g. in Acrobat Pro, Acrobat Reader or even Firefox browser after you opened the PDF.

Document Creator said: Canva.

You could place this PDF page by page on a layer in the background of other layers in your InDesign document, lock that layer and use the placed PDF in the background to build your own document.

To get started with InDesign I recommend viewing some basic courses at Linked In from David Blatner for example:

InDesign 2020 Essential Training

Instructor: David Blatner

https://www.linkedin.com/learning/indesign-2020-essential-training?trk=learning-serp_learning_search-card&upsellOrderOrigin=default_guest_learning

Regards,
Uwe Laubender

( ACP )

TOPICS
How to

Views

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more

Wanting to build a Catalogue for Food Service - New to Indesign

New Here ,
Jul 28, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi I am a novice in using InDesign but have used photoshop. We are a food services company and I would like to build a catalogue which I can fill with product images and pricing and also make changes to it from month to month. I need to print it and also make it downloadable from our website. Are there templates out there I could use that somone can point me to, or the best online turorial to help me. 

I have an example of one we use but is not very usable. Not sure what it was made with.

Thank you

D

Adobe Community Professional
Correct answer by Laubender | Adobe Community Professional

Check the PDF's document properties e.g. in Acrobat Pro, Acrobat Reader or even Firefox browser after you opened the PDF.

You could place this PDF page by page on a layer in the background of other layers in your InDesign document, lock that layer and use the placed PDF in the background to build your own document.

To get started with InDesign I recommend viewing some basic courses at Linked In from David Blatner for example:

https://www.linkedin.com/learning/indesign-2020-essential-training?trk=learning-serp_learning_search-card&upsellOrderOrigin=default_guest_learning

Regards,
Uwe Laubender

( ACP )

TOPICS
How to

Views

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
Jul 28, 2020 0
Adobe Community Professional ,
Jul 28, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

https://www.linkedin.com/learning/indesign-2020-essential-training?trk=learning-serp_learning_search...

Regards,
Uwe Laubender

( ACP )

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Jul 28, 2020 1
Adobe Community Professional ,
Jul 28, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

the learning curve here is big. if you want a file you will rework goign forward you will want to use styles (Character, paragraph, object, tables, cells). Text variables and so forth will only help you automate things, inclusing GREP codes for auto formating. 

I would recommend you hire somebody to make you a template/first layout, you than can learn to work in indesign with a finished propperly put together file from that point.

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Jul 28, 2020 0
New Here ,
Jul 28, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks I considered this as well. I will look into this as well

Cheer

Dennis

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Jul 28, 2020 0