• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

What are people using for custom running heads?

Participant ,
Jul 24, 2020 Jul 24, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi, I was wondering what people are using for custom running heads --  the kind not possible with the built-in tools. I figure I will have to use Applescript, but am curious as to how other people are doing it. Any thoughts, insights, or links to info, methodology, logic, programs, etc., is appreciated! 

TOPICS
How to , Print , Scripting

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Community Expert , Aug 11, 2020 Aug 11, 2020

I think the best you can do is an Object Style with repeating Paragraph Styles, but that only works if there are no exceptions.

No Object style applied

Screen Shot 42.png

An object style applied with 3 Paragraph Styles using Next Style

Screen Shot 43.png

The Object Style‘s Paragraph Styles setting: Ahead has a Next style of BHead, BHead’s Next is Text, and Text’s Next is AHead.

Screen Shot 44.png

Votes

Translate

Translate
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

,Can you better explain (or preferably give an example) of what you mean by a custom running head not possible with the built-in tools, please. It's not at all clear to mean what you mean.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Participant ,
Aug 10, 2020 Aug 10, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi, I added some details as requested. Any ideas? Thanks!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Aug 11, 2020 Aug 11, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

What you are looking for doesn’t sound like the traditional running head that Barb is describing in her post— a repeating page head generated from a master. 

Seems like you are looking for automated next styles in the running text that change depending on a condition. I think conditional styling would need a script.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

OK, thanks. I have a somewhat elaborate method to do it using a database and scripts, but was wondering what the "state of the art" was these days and whether I could simplify with some new tool or not. Maybe this always requires elaborate custom scripting. Thanks again!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I think the best you can do is an Object Style with repeating Paragraph Styles, but that only works if there are no exceptions.

No Object style applied

Screen Shot 42.png

An object style applied with 3 Paragraph Styles using Next Style

Screen Shot 43.png

The Object Style‘s Paragraph Styles setting: Ahead has a Next style of BHead, BHead’s Next is Text, and Text’s Next is AHead.

Screen Shot 44.png

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,
Aug 12, 2020 Aug 12, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks for this example! Also fairly elaborate, but something for me to experiment with.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Aug 12, 2020 Aug 12, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

It would work with items 1-4 in your example (assuming all of the items are single paragraphs). The occasional 5th item would not work, and would break the repeating styles.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'm also unclear on the question.

• All running heads are added to the master pages, and anything added to a master page appears on the body pages assigned to use it.
  • Static text is typed or pasted into text frames and static images are added to graphic frames.
  • In situations where the running head needs to pull content from the page, use a Running Header variable that pulls content using either a paragraph style or a character style.

What do you need beyond those basics?

~Barb

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi All:

Thanks for the comments so far. The document I have to do is basically a list of names and numbers, by categories, completely styled with paragraph and character styles. That's the good news. What makes it interesting is that there are several levels of hierarchy, one optional.

For example:

1. Category subhead (alphabetical order)

2. Subcategory subhead (Area, one of four, alpha order, but 

OPTIONAL for category, ie, some categories have this 

subhead, some don't)

3. Skill Type subhead (first "Professional", then "Amateur", 

so not alpha)

4. Person's name and numbers (alpha)

5. Some names (<10%) have a second paragraph 

following their listing paragraph.

- There are Continued From frames on every page.

- There are full page ads, so the text flow can skip up to 4 pages.

- The people under each Skill Type subhead have the same 

paragraph and character styles, so there is no way to tell 

which is which just by inspecting a paragraph.

- Some Categories are so long that abbreviations for them must 

be used in the Continued From text.

Now, what they want for the Continued From is something like: 

Line 1:  Category (possibly abbreviated to fit) [[Skill Type]]s (plural), 

[[optional , Subcategory, eg, " , North Area"]]

Line 2: "Continued from Page [[#]]"

Reading the Help file led me to believe that this kind of running header was not possible, thus my question. Happy to be proven wrong!

If anyone needs more info, please ask. Either way, thanks for reading!

-k

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines