• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

What causes the message "This document contains application-specific information from InDesign."

Community Beginner ,
Dec 07, 2018 Dec 07, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

PDFs exported from Indesign CC2019 appear to contain new metadata or structural information.

This causes the message to pop up when editing the PDFs with Enfocus PitStop:

"This document contains application-specific information from InDesign."

or in german: "Dieses Dokument enthält anwendungsspezifische Informationen von InDesign."

Is it possible to say Indesign that this information is not written to the PDF when exporting?

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Dec 14, 2018 Dec 14, 2018

… and no color management and loss of hyperlinks and possible loss of searchability and possible loss of editability.

You never, repeat never, repeat yet again never should “refry” PDF files by outputting PostScript and distilling back to PDF.

If you really want to eliminate all PieceInfo, you can use Acrobat Preflight's built-in fixup Discard private data of other applications. Alternatively, you can use Acrobat's built-in PDF Optimizer and check the Discard private data of other applications to

Votes

Translate

Translate
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi yosimo ,

my assumption is that the new structural information is the new PieceInfo > InDesign entry.

Here a screenshot from Acrobat Pro DC showing a PDF exported from InDesign CC 2019 14.0.1.209:

PieceInfo-CC-2019.PNG

Also see this discussion at www.hilfdirselbst.ch:

Wie Meldung unterdrücken ""Dieses Dokument enthält anwendungsspezifische Informationen von InDesign."

York Simon | 7. Dez 2018, 09:44

https://www.hilfdirselbst.ch/gforum/gforum.cgi?post=567918#567918

If my assumption is correct, you cannot control the insertion of PieceInfo > InDesign with the PDF export process.

PieceInfo is needed so that the new feature PDF Comments is working correctly or at all. A PDF that is missing this kind of PieceInfo cannot be imported to the new PDF Comments panel.

Regards,
Uwe

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

FWIW: If you print to PostScript and distill to PDF, entry PieceInfo will not be written to the PDF.

But that also means you cannot do PDFs with live transparency.

Regards,
Uwe

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Dec 14, 2018 Dec 14, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

… and no color management and loss of hyperlinks and possible loss of searchability and possible loss of editability.

You never, repeat never, repeat yet again never should “refry” PDF files by outputting PostScript and distilling back to PDF.

If you really want to eliminate all PieceInfo, you can use Acrobat Preflight's built-in fixup Discard private data of other applications. Alternatively, you can use Acrobat's built-in PDF Optimizer and check the Discard private data of other applications to also eliminate such PieceInfo.

Uwe is correct that the PieceInfo is related to the new PDF comments feature of InDesign. Delete the PieceInfo and the PDF comment feature of InDesign is disabled for that PDF file.

All that having been said, there is very little file size overhead to that PieceInfo and it doesn't affect operation of Acrobat or any RIP in any way.

- Dov

- Dov Isaacs, former Adobe Principal Scientist (April 30, 1990 - May 30, 2021)

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Dec 15, 2018 Dec 15, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Hi Dov,

thanks for your further information.

I agree with you in all respects.

I edit all my self-exported PDFs in Acrobat with PitStop Pro. And so it is annoying if this message always appears before processing with PitStop.

Since the PDF export with InDesign is not influenceable, I will ask Enfocus if there is a solution for PitStop.

All I want is that PitStop not to give a message about the PieceInfo.

Because that means always an additional step or klick - I would like to avoid this.

Regards

York Simon

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines