• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

What is a default guides to use in a magazine? (Rows and Columns)

Explorer ,
Feb 28, 2021 Feb 28, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I am redesigning a magazine, The Writer, and when I got to the part where I am setting guides (on the A-Master pages), I am stuck on what numbers to set for the rows and columns. 

TOPICS
How to , Type

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

No default guides. 

Your line length for text should be between 50-75 characters per line - so whatever font you're using should take up a line with that amount of characters, and that will give you an idea what width your column should be. 

For example if it was 3 columns you wanted - I'd put a grid of 9 columns, and possibly the same amount of rows. 

But that's just me - it's up to you I guess. But make sure your text columns aren't too long or it's hard to read. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

So I have a table of contents almost done with the guides, but I am still having trouble lining the text and images exactly to the grid. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines