• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

What is the page count limit using InDesign "Book" feature?

Participant ,
Aug 31, 2020 Aug 31, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have a massive graphic design resource that theoretically could be up to 8K pages. It might need to be only 4-6K, but that of course is still huge.

Using the InDesign "Book" feature, which I have used quite a bit, is there a limit to the total number of pages Book will collate into one volume? The output is of course PDF, and might end up being 400-600 mb. 

Any insights about total page count?

Thanks

TOPICS
Print

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Community Expert , Aug 31, 2020 Aug 31, 2020

Hi dbonneville,

it might be more a restriction in the number of documents in an InDesign book file than the overall page count that is at a maximum of 9999 pages per document. You'll get an error message if you try to do a document with e.g. 10000 pages.

From my German InDesign where I tried that:

NumberOfPages-Max-9999.PNG

To check if a book file can manage more than 10000 pages, just do a book file with two documents and 9999 pages each.

How many InDesign documents do you plan to have in your book file?

Regards

Votes

Translate

Translate
Community Expert ,
Aug 31, 2020 Aug 31, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi dbonneville,

it might be more a restriction in the number of documents in an InDesign book file than the overall page count that is at a maximum of 9999 pages per document. You'll get an error message if you try to do a document with e.g. 10000 pages.

From my German InDesign where I tried that:

NumberOfPages-Max-9999.PNG

To check if a book file can manage more than 10000 pages, just do a book file with two documents and 9999 pages each.

How many InDesign documents do you plan to have in your book file?

Regards,
Uwe Laubender

( ACP )

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Participant ,
Oct 05, 2020 Oct 05, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have 89 InDesign documents each with 89 pages, so I have about 7900 pages total but only about 95 files (a few other chapters of very short page count). Sounds like it's not going to be a problem! InDesign was able to chug through all the files that make up the core of the book and compile them into one very large PDF.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Oct 05, 2020 Oct 05, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

It used to be a100-document limit in a book file, but I think that was removed about CS3. However, I would be sure to turn off the auto numbering updates if adding copious amounts of files. 

If you don't need fancy typography or layouts, Adobe FrameMaker can handle huge page counts and its book features are much more advanced than InDesign. 

David Creamer: Community Expert (ACI and ACE 1995-2023)

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines