• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

What means "you want the table of contents to include elements in overflow text?"

Explorer ,
Jun 26, 2020 Jun 26, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi,

When i try to update my Table of Contents, i'm having this dialog box:

"you want the table of contents to include elements in overflow text"

Captura de pantalla 2020-06-27 a las 1.08.53.png

What it's mean and how i can fix this?

I'm working with the plugin Blurb.

TOPICS
How to

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Jun 26, 2020 Jun 26, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

It sounds like you may have text in your document in frames which has overset — it doesn't fit within the frame and wouldn't be visible. You can search for overset text by using InDesign's Preflight panel:

https://helpx.adobe.com/indesign/using/preflighting-files-handoff.html

Here is an example. The text on the left where you see the red + sign is overset. The Preflight panel detects the overset and suggests the solution:

Screen Shot 2020-06-26 at 5.55.49 PM.png

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Jun 27, 2020 Jun 27, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

@Steve_Werner thanks for your answer.

I checked Preflight and all it's ok.

Captura de pantalla 2020-06-27 a las 12.11.48.png

I'm using one plugin to generate books to be published at Blurb. When i active "Normal" view, i can see some instructions and text, but it say these content are not printable.

That is created by plugin BlurbThat is created by plugin Blurb

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Right there, corner below on your screenshot: we can all see the red plus sign so you do have overset text...

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Click in the text frame with the overset text and press Cmd + Y (Mac) or Ctrl + Y (Win). Do you see a red line on the left side and text that extends beyond what you're seeing in the layout? Often times it may just be an additional return that makes InDesign recognize it as overset. Delete the return if it's there and that may remedy your problem. I don't think you've divulged what version of InDesign you are using but if I recall, there was a version or two where the preflight panel was smart enough not to mark it as overset when it was a space character but the TOC still flagged it. I'm a bit meticulous with my files so I'd go through and get rid of them where they appear and more than likely this will resolve the error that you see when generating the TOC.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

The red plus sign is generated by one plugin (Blurb)  and i can't select the box which it appears. My real text frame is another (see brown arrow and explanation... i reduced it intentionally to see the difference).

Captura de pantalla 2020-06-27 a las 23.01.20.png

I try Cmd + Y but there are not "red line" at left side.

Captura de pantalla 2020-06-27 a las 23.09.04.png

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi a.cedano,

check your active preflight setting if it is looking for overset text.

Regards,
Uwe Laubender

( ACP )

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines