Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

What should I charge for design projects (UK)?! InDesign/Photoshop

Explorer ,
Jul 30, 2020 Jul 30, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hello UK forum members!

I'm going to throw it out there to the Adobe UK design community and if not a suitable question for this forum, then no worries.

I've just completed a 130-page print project using InDesign/Photoshop for a charity; and because of my involvement with the charity, have not charged. I have been in the past a self-employed music typesetter (incl book design and page layout) and web designer; but the only print design I have undertaken recently has been as an employee. As I was working on this one, which involves photo editing, layout, overall design concept, creative text editing, etc, I mulled over from time to time what I would charge for it if commercial. I came up with a sort of estimate of the overall time devoted to each page and therefore a price per page kind of system. What system do you professionals in the UK tend to use, and what are the figures on it? If I may be so bold to ask.

Incidentally, I've just received a quote request on the back of this project!

TIA

Anna

TOPICS
Print

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Community Expert , Aug 02, 2020 Aug 02, 2020

Hi Anna - Our Design Team would work out roughly how long it will take to create each page in the document provided the text and images are provided. If you need to source the images then allow a search time and purchase of the images in the quote. On average is works out at 15-20 minutes per page. Then cost of search time - roughly 1 hour based on the complexity of the job.  (You should know the type and style of images you need or they will be provided)

We normally work of a retainer based sys

Votes

Translate

Translate
Community Expert ,
Aug 02, 2020 Aug 02, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Anna - Our Design Team would work out roughly how long it will take to create each page in the document provided the text and images are provided. If you need to source the images then allow a search time and purchase of the images in the quote. On average is works out at 15-20 minutes per page. Then cost of search time - roughly 1 hour based on the complexity of the job.  (You should know the type and style of images you need or they will be provided)

We normally work of a retainer based system that allows clients to book hours with us in advance. This way they can budget for projects like this and have some time built up to be used to keep costs down. Some months it works in their favour and others in our favour - we then invoice any hours additional on a quartly basis. Our retainers are on a £60 per hour term but we invoice in 15 minute blocks. If it only takes 15 mins then the client timesheet reflects that.

Work out your hourly rate for the client is and see how things compare. Happy to chat more on this or help if needed.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Aug 02, 2020 Aug 02, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank you! The way I worked to realise the previous project, that has now potentially won me a new commission, was multiple revisions for artistic reasons as the concept evolved, which worked out closer to an hour per page. I was looking at freelance (rather than agency) rates and UK average per hour at mid-level is £28 (Major Players salary survey) so it would be swings and roundabouts on a lower hourly rate but more time per page. 

Your example is great to reflect on and gives me food for thought; I would dearly like to build up a freelance practice rather than be employed.

All best

Anna

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Aug 04, 2020 Aug 04, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Happy to help. Hope it all goes well for you and I can't wait to see some of the designs !

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines