• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

When can InDesign put all user dates on the non system disk?

Enthusiast ,
Apr 28, 2021 Apr 28, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

In fact, many other softwares already have this function.

That is, the user's own setting data is put on his own hard disk, even if the software is re installed, even if the system data is re installed, it will not be lost.

For example, preferences settings, scripts, regular expressions, shortcut keys, PDF export presets, etc. can be placed in userdate and never be lost.

Sometimes it's tiresome to repeat work.

I would like to vote on indesign.uservoice.com, but I find it much more difficult for me to log on to indesign.uservoice.com than to log on to indesign.uservoice.com www.adobe.com .

I'm too hard... Too hard

If you think it's useful, please send a post to indesign.uservoice.com

TOPICS
Activation billing and install , Feature request , How to , Import and export , Performance , Scripting

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Jul 12, 2021 Jul 12, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The product development team will only see your idea if you put it on user voice. On this forum we are users just like you.

~ Jane

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Jul 12, 2021 Jul 12, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Jul 13, 2021 Jul 13, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Eugene,

I do not think our OP dublove is after that.

When installing InDesign you cannot choose a directory on a different volume than the volume of the system where InDesign preferences, caches, program data etc.pp. should be stored. It has to go to the User folder. And that is true for all CC apps. In the end, when you installed all CC apps or different versions of InDesign, PhotoShop, Illustrator etc.pp., the amount of data installed and written by Adobe apps on the system folder volume is immense.

Regards,
Uwe Laubender

( ACP )

EDITED

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Jul 13, 2021 Jul 13, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

For example, preferences settings, scripts, regular expressions, shortcut keys, PDF export presets, etc. can be placed in userdate and never be lost.

You might look at an incremental backup software like Time Machine or Retrospect, or at least a simple cloning app like CarbonCopy cloner, so you have a copy of your user and applications folders backed up—then you would be able to restore your preferences or lost scripts rather than rebuild them.

I use Retorspect which does incremental backups—a backup of the entire system only takes a few minutes because only modified files get added to the backup. It lets me go back and get my InDesign prefs from any day going back 6-months.

https://www.retrospect.com

https://bombich.com/

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Jul 14, 2021 Jul 14, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

I agree. There is a school of thought that says that operating-system data should not be mixed with user data.

I would like to vote on indesign.uservoice.com

As others already mentioned, your voice won't be heard here (not by Adobe engineering anyway). Besides, thousands of people have found their way to indesign.uservoice.com -- you, too, should be able to. Keep trying!

P.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines