• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Where is the documentation for creating a reflowable ePub from an InDesign print document?

Explorer ,
Jul 09, 2020 Jul 09, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Where is the documentation for creating a reflowable ePub from an InDesign print document?

Adobe has one page that discusses export from InDesign to ePub.

Where does Adobe have documentation for controlling ePub formatting using existing Paragraph Styles, etc.? I can’t get the resulting ePub document to respect e.g. Spacing, Indents, Paragraph Before and After, etc.

Adobe advertises the ability of InDesign CC to create reflowable ePub documents, but nowhere can I find any documentation about how to control formatting, short of editing CSS — which is a big job.

TOPICS
EPUB , How to , Publish online

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Community Expert , Jul 09, 2020 Jul 09, 2020

Hi Gary,

you could start reading the articles here:

http://epubsecrets.com/category/secrets/indesign

And you could check if there are video tutorials at linkedin.

Maybe this one is something for you:

InDesign CC 2018: EPUB
Course Beginner + Intermediate

Instructor: Anne-Marie Concepción

https://www.linkedin.com/learning/indesign-cc-2018-epub?trk=learning-serp_learning_search-card&upsellOrderOrigin=default_guest_learning

Regards,
Uwe Laubender

( ACP )

Votes

Translate

Translate
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Have a look at the Linkedin Learning online video tutorials. You can get 30-days free access.

Creating Refowable ePubs is not intuative – for example, you need Paragraph (and Character) styles for everything, and no folios, no Master pages, or page size, and all images anchored.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank you. I turned to Adobe Support for zero help after trying to understand LinkedIn Learning tutorials. I’ll have to give them another try. It’s all there is! 

This is a big disappointment from Adobe after they have advertised how successive versions of InDesign CC have provided good support for ePub generation. They do not! Not even close!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

And, by the way, I use Paragraph and Character Styles, etc. as you recommend. I still can’t seem to control something as simple as new paragraph indents. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Gary,

you could start reading the articles here:

http://epubsecrets.com/category/secrets/indesign

And you could check if there are video tutorials at linkedin.

Maybe this one is something for you:

InDesign CC 2018: EPUB
Course Beginner + Intermediate

Instructor: Anne-Marie Concepción

https://www.linkedin.com/learning/indesign-cc-2018-epub?trk=learning-serp_learning_search-card&upsel...

Regards,
Uwe Laubender

( ACP )

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank you. I will look specifically at the LinkedIn tutorial you have linked. Earlier reviews of LinkedIn tutorials did not address my problems.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Notice I underlined everything in my answer.

This means for your text you may have one for first par no ident, another for subsequent pars with an indent another with space above as it has a subheading above, and another because it has a left indent.
Also note, the Paragraph border and Shading InDesign feature do not translate into Reflowable Pubs.

What does it state when you validate your ePub?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines