• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Where or how do i install the SDK?

Advocate ,
Jul 09, 2020 Jul 09, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hello i'm trying my hat at making a plugin to see what all i can do. I have the SDK downloaded so that part is done. Where am i supposed to place the plugin folder that unzips and do i need an external coding software? Can i use Extendscript Toolkit that i currently use for my Javascript plugins?

TOPICS
SDK

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 2 Correct answers

Community Expert , Jul 09, 2020 Jul 09, 2020

Unzip it at any location that won't matter, you will have to access files from that folder within your project that is the only requirement. For development you would need VS Studio on Win and XCode on a Mac. Refer the documentation html present inside the sdk folder, it has all the detailed information on how to setup the environment, object model, also sdk ships with lots of sample plugin projects so the first step to test your setup would be build those and load the plugins on InDesign.

Happy

Votes

Translate

Translate
Community Expert , Jul 09, 2020 Jul 09, 2020

Funny enough, you actually can use the ESTK to write C++ code. It's just a simple code editor. But that very question is exceptionally alarming, as it strongly suggests you are not aware of the fact that there is a vast (vast, vast) difference between Javascript scripts (not "plug-ins", as you call them!) and , well, actual plug-ins.

You may need to read my answer to an earlier similar question: https://community.adobe.com/t5/indesign/highlighted-text/td-p/11257455?page=1

Votes

Translate

Translate
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Unzip it at any location that won't matter, you will have to access files from that folder within your project that is the only requirement. For development you would need VS Studio on Win and XCode on a Mac. Refer the documentation html present inside the sdk folder, it has all the detailed information on how to setup the environment, object model, also sdk ships with lots of sample plugin projects so the first step to test your setup would be build those and load the plugins on InDesign.

Happy learning

-Manan

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Funny enough, you actually can use the ESTK to write C++ code. It's just a simple code editor. But that very question is exceptionally alarming, as it strongly suggests you are not aware of the fact that there is a vast (vast, vast) difference between Javascript scripts (not "plug-ins", as you call them!) and , well, actual plug-ins.

You may need to read my answer to an earlier similar question: https://community.adobe.com/t5/indesign/highlighted-text/td-p/11257455?page=1

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Jongware, well sure code can be edited using any editor and for that matter even ESTK. But in that case we will have to set up the build system outside the XCode or VS like configuring the make build system etc (i have not done this myself). So i surmise your advice will send the OP down a rabbit hole at this stage, and might frighten him. If an IDE makes my life a bit easy then why not 🙂

By the way excellent points made in the other thread you linked.

-Manan

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Advocate ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I know there is a difference between the 2 (i've made several scripts for indesign) i just dont know what all i can do with the SDK yet. Having read the link i am obviously not ready to make a plug-in yet since I am not very well versed in C++. I'm still going to try my hand at it just because thats how i am but i'm not expecting to get what i'm wanting done quickly lol.  Thanks for your advice and help.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Advocate ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

THank you Very much

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines