• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Where's Text Autoflow?Did they change that in 2019?

Participant ,
Dec 14, 2018 Dec 14, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Okay. What's changed?

New computer (iMac). New upgrade to InDesign CC2019.

Have opened up existing project files, no problems with any of them. But then, the text is already placed in those.

I need to build a new project. Suddenly the text won't flow. Or rather, it won't autoflow. I can copy/paste the text into a text frame on the first page. I click on the arrow at the bottom to load the text for further placing and it loads. I move to page 2, position the text loader, hold down the shift key, click, and get one column of text. No autoflow. And the text loader goes away. I've used InDesign since version 1.0. This is not how that tool was supposed to work in any of the earlier versions of the program.

Holding the option key gives me back the loader which enables me to load text into each text frame individually, so long as I keep the option key down. That iteration of the tool hasn't changed. But this is a novel-length document and I would really rather not have to load every page individually. I would rather not have to save the project out in the format which can be read by 2018 and uninstall 2019 because it's been crippled, either.

So what got changed? Is it the tool? The key command? The defaults? The Preferences? Turning on Smart Autoflow in the Preferences does not get the text loader to autoflow. There is no change in performance in that regard.

How do I get autoflow back? What is the current method. Holding down the shift key, obviously isn't it.

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Participant , Dec 15, 2018 Dec 15, 2018

Well, it appears I've got a case of Auto Shop Syndrome. After fighting with it until I was at a standstill, I posted the question above.

When I went back to fight with it some more, all of a sudden it worked exactly as it was supposed to.

I have no idea what was stopping it. I have no idea what I did. I have no idea what fixed it.  However, it appears that the tool has not actually been changed, so I don't know what was going on.

*Grumpf*

Votes

Translate

Translate
Community Expert ,
Dec 15, 2018 Dec 15, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thread text among frames in Adobe InDesign

For smartflow to work you need to have threaded text frames on the master page.

https://indesignsecrets.com/make-indesign-add-pages-automatically-as-you-type.php

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Participant ,
Dec 15, 2018 Dec 15, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Well, it appears I've got a case of Auto Shop Syndrome. After fighting with it until I was at a standstill, I posted the question above.

When I went back to fight with it some more, all of a sudden it worked exactly as it was supposed to.

I have no idea what was stopping it. I have no idea what I did. I have no idea what fixed it.  However, it appears that the tool has not actually been changed, so I don't know what was going on.

*Grumpf*

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Nov 01, 2023 Nov 01, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

My tool is doing the same thing. Ugh! 25.1 0 Photoshop 2024. I need to flow type for an Ebook and the little X at the botton of the text box will not turn red to execute the pointer tool filled with the next load of text ... and flow it into the next box Ugh! Ugh!  I am on a MACbookPro.    UGH!  Any suggestions? Anyone?  Anyone?  Thank you, Carol

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines