• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Where to put Index markers in InDesign?

Explorer ,
Jun 10, 2020 Jun 10, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

New to ID.  I have placed a tiff file in a graphic frame. The graphic contains content that should be indexed.  Where do I put the index markers? The graphic frame is grouped with a text frame serving as a caption, which isn’t large enough to contain numerous markers. What do you suggest?

{Renamed by MOD}

TOPICS
How to

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

You add index markers to text and not to images, so yes add them to the caption.

Markers are invisible unless you show Hidden Characters, and even then they are very slender. (See screen shot, below.) Are you adding so markers the text is overset? Can't you just make the frame a bit wider? Maybe a screen shot would help us understand what is going on.

n3.png

~Barb

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Barb: Thanks for your response, see my reply to laubender below.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Airlens,

you say: "The graphic contains content that should be indexed."

Hm. What exactly should be in the index if a graphic is indexed?

Is the content somewhere in the graphic's metadata?

Can you give some examples?

Note: An index marker itself does not occupy any space in a text frame.

So what do you mean with the text frame is not large enough to contain numerous markers?

FWIW: With InDesign you could format text very small:

1 Pt text size with 1% width and 1% height and fill color set to [None] so that the text will be invisible and does not occupy much space in a text frame. Just to give you some hints.

Regards,
Uwe Laubender

( ACP )

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The graphic might contain names of persons places or things.  It would be nice to mark those so you could find them in the index (or with the index). I understand that you don’t put the marker in(or on) the graphic but if you put multiple markers in the caption, while it may or may not result in overset text, they would be very difficult to edit (or identify them individually) should that become necessary, unless there is a way to just have all the markers in the caption listed so you could edit them.  Is there something like that I am missing?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

To edit text that is very small and/or invisible one could use the Story Editor window:

StoryEditorWindow.PNG

Just a suggestion…

Regards,
Uwe Laubender

( ACP )

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

If you have multiple markers, you can find them (even when made very small or with Show Hidden Characters disabled) in Edit > Story Editor. Edits to the markers should be make in the Index panel. InDesign can always find them, whether or not you can see them. 

~Barb 

Story Editor view:

in4.png

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

If they show up in story editor and can be edited there, that resolves the issue.  “Edits to the markers should be made in the Index panel.” I read where there is an option to “go to marker” in the index panel.  That must be where you are suggesting the edit should be made. (Not working on my system right now so will have to try it out when I get back to it). Thanks to you both for your help and suggestions.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Here are the steps to edit a entry, which is accomplished in the Index panel (step 2). The only reason you might want to go to an actual marker is because you want to remove it. That said, I do keep my hidden characters visible so that I don't inadvertently remove the marker when I'm editing nearby. 

~Barb 

in5.png

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,
Jun 26, 2020 Jun 26, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Hi @Airlens,

Thanks for reaching out. I hope your issue is resolved by now. We'd appreciate if you can mark the most appropriate response correct. If you used any other method, we'd request sharing the solution with us. It'll help other users with similar concern.

If you still have issue, please share the information asked in earlier responses.

Looking forward to your response.

Regards,

Ashutosh

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines