• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Which is the BEST method to work together on the same .INDD file ?

New Here ,
Mar 27, 2021 Mar 27, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi community guys!

Probably a stupid question for experts, but I never collaborated with other designers on the same .indd file. 
So, like I wrote in the subject/topic: using > Adobe Cloud <, which is the BEST method to work together (online) on the same .INDD file ? For working together, I mean working on: graphics, styles, layout, text, images etc... everything! Not only limited to the normal collaborative duo designer+copywriter / Indesing+Incopy.
I'm very curious to understand also, if 3-4 persons are working on the same file at the same time (a complex book for example) how is possible to have "the final result" that includes everybody's modifies and edits without no problems (editing the same thing for example). 

Thank you so much !

Dan 

TOPICS
How to

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Jun 15, 2021 Jun 15, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Dan,

the only feature that comes to my mind is InDesign's book feature where you can add documents and everyone will work on a different document. If you like to do global changes to all documents hosted by the book file there should be a responsible person, who synchs styles for example.

Editing the "same thing" at the same time is not possible with InDesign.

Regards,
Uwe Laubender

( ACP )

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Engaged ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

More than one person cannot have the same file open simulateously.

Depending on the product with set pages - a brochure or magazine, for example - you might agree spreads or workload up front and keep your own files, and combine them all at the PDF stage. At least that's how I work on magazines, with each section being an individual document. As long as styles and branding is saved within each file or shared as libraries this works well.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

You all MUST NOT work on the same file at the same time.

Best result: you get an error saying the file is in use

Expected result: wasted time from lost edits because only one persons edits are saved.

Worst result: file corrupted and must be restored from backup.

You need an ABSOLUTE discipline for working on these files. You need to decide how you will enforce this.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

InDesign is not like Google.Docs. One person per file...AT ALL TIMES.

|    Bevi Chagnon   |  Designer & Technologist for Accessible Documents
|    Classes & Books for Accessible InDesign, PDFs & MS Office |

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Working on the same file at the same time is not possible using InDesign. It is possible using InCopy but if the intent is to allow other users to "design" then that won't work. I'm afraid it's all about wait your turn and good communication among the users who need to edit the file. Use a shared storage tool such as Creative Cloud Files, DropBox, Google Drive, whatever.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines