• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

White lines around text boxes or images with applied effects.

Community Beginner ,
Sep 30, 2020 Sep 30, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I am trying to send a calendar for printing to a self publishing site for a fundraiser. My pdf files look great at my end but when I load to their platform and then view their print ready files there is a degradation in the photo quality and white outlines around text boxes and images with applied effects etc. (from what I can see it is only occuring on items with applied effects) I have contacted the company who tell me that those white lines etc are showing in my source file at their end but I do not see them at my end. I have screenshot their response to my concern here, and also a copy of my version of the pdf and their print ready file side by side, as well as a couple of other images for reference. The images with red pen marks are the copies of their files with the offending lines and image degradation.

I have tried saving in about a hundred different formats, and done all the things  recommended regarding flattening and overprint that I can find. I concede my skill level with InDesign is not outstanding but I have never had this issue with any other printing I have used for commercial projects. This is the first time I have attempted to use this particular company and they have been trying to be helpful but I am in Australia and they are in the US so with the time difference it is proving very difficult to get this project launched.   I guess what I want to know is WILL those lines print, will the image degradation appears as it does in their files and if yes to those things how do I fix this? Am super frustrated at this point and would be very grateful if anyone can help me with a solution to this.Tim.JPGc1.JPGc2.JPGc3.JPG

TOPICS
Bug

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Community Beginner , Sep 30, 2020 Sep 30, 2020

Hi Jens
Thanks for your very generous assistance. I am more than happy to share the file if it will load here - just can't see where to load it.

Votes

Translate

Translate
Enthusiast ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi,
this looks pretty much like a transparency issue. Can you share/upload the PDF you sent them? It would be way easier to troubleshoot.

Especially the second screenshot with those little white lines is a typically issue with flatten transparency and Acrobat's smoothing of vector objects/images.
Check in Acrobat your settings in regard to "Smooth line art" and "Smooth images", they should be under "Page Settings". Uncheck those to see if the lines/problems disapear. If so, then they won't show up in print.

But I find the first screenshot more concerning. You say you tried flattening but did you actually send them a flatten PDF (meaning PDF/X1 or PDF/X3)?
Again, if you're willing to share the PDF you send them I'm happy to help by analysing it further.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Jens
Thanks for your very generous assistance. I am more than happy to share the file if it will load here - just can't see where to load it.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Jens I altered the preferences you mentioned above and that DID get right of the lines. The images are still all 'dull' though and there are still shadows appearing where they shouldn't. Have attached a screenshot of what I mean. This is a copy of the file they sent back to me as a print ready file once I altered the preferences in acrobat. Adobe.JPGCapture.JPG

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Enthusiast ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Oh okay, didn't see the color shift. This seems to be yet another issue but this time with color management 😄

Can you upload the PDF in the Creative Cloud (assuming you have an subscription) or something like WeTransfer/Dropbox?

And just to clarify:
the Acrobat settings is a user-defined viewing setting!
It has nothing to do with the inner workings of the PDF/it doesn't change anything within the PDF!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Enthusiast ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I just realized... I thought in the different direction.
The issues at hand can all be caused by flattening the PDF and then processing it down the line differently than you would expect (not on your part).

If you keep live transparency (PDF/X4) you maybe have none of these issues.
So maybe just try sending them a PDF/X4

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Enthusiast ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

damnit...how do you edit posts in here??

In addition, check your color management settings in the export dialog.
Do you have RGB images placed in your document?
Depending on the requirements of your printer you can try converting all images to CMYK during export.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

When you say PDF/X4 is this what you mean?(see screenshot) If so I have tried this version too. I can certainly share the file to dropbox if you would consider looking at it for me. I will also look at the colour management and see if that affects the situation.

I really appreciate your assistance.Capture.JPG

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Enthusiast ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Bildschirmfoto 2020-10-01 um 08.22.04 Kopie.jpg
Also check your color conversions settings – you might have a different profile there (the "ISO coated v2"-part). This depends on the press profile of your printer. You should ask them which ICC profile you should use.

Bildschirmfoto 2020-10-01 um 08.22.12 Kopie.jpg

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I could cry with relief - I think you have fixed the problem ... a million thank yous. Sincerely ❤️ 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

It's a flattening issue when transparency is in place.

https://indesignsecrets.com/when-you-see-thin-white-lines-in-your-pdf-files.php

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank you I think I have resolved the white lines now but still have something odd going on with the colouring.

Appreciate you taking the time to give feedback!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

THis is related to the YDB Syndrome
https://indesignsecrets.com/eliminating-ydb-yucky-discolored-box-syndrome.php/comment-page-2

BTW, this part should not be placed as PSD but as PDF or PDP as text and vector is involved.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Nov 06, 2023 Nov 06, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

hello

You only need to convert it in a flat image...jpg image.

but not from Acrobat, you open the PDF in Photoshop and convert it from there. save each page like an jpg file and the you can convert it again in a pdf.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Nov 06, 2023 Nov 06, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

If you have vector elements this is not going to be helpful as all the vector elements, text etc is converted to pixels. 

The answers given already are the correct way of handling it - if it needs handling at all. 

It's transparency stitching issue. And can be dealt with while leaving all the quality of the file in tact.

However, if you have a fully raster PDF - then exporting or saving as JPEG can be an option - however, using a losless file format like TIF or PSD would be better. 
Jpeg is a lossy format, and can add artefacts to images.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines