Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

White lines on the print

Community Beginner ,
Aug 07, 2020 Aug 07, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi communnity.

I am having troubles with the In Design software.

I know it happens to export PDFs with sometimes white lines that shouldn't be there, which when they are printed disappear (picture1).

But this is the first time that in addition, there are also some in the print (and not necessarily the same) (picture2).

It's been happening to me for 2 days now.
I did some research on the forum. I tried to export in PDF/X-4, didn't work. The file haven't been opened in ID then in PS, etc...just ID.

Do you have an idea how could I fix it?

Thanks for reading me, have a nice day.

TOPICS
Bug , How to , Import and export , Print

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 2 Correct answers

Community Expert , Aug 11, 2020 Aug 11, 2020

Could you tell me more on never use PNG on an ID project please ?

There is no problem using a PNG as an image format for print as long as it is saved as 24-bits, with enough resolution, and an embedded color profile. PNGs can only be RGB, but they can be converted to CMYK on Export if necessary. When you Export an InDesign page to PDF, the original image format is lost—Acrobat’s Object Inspector would not show a difference between PNG, TIFF, or PSD.

But if the PNG was generated from a vector

Votes

Translate

Translate
Community Expert , Aug 11, 2020 Aug 11, 2020

Really ?? I never had this problem before.

Here I have a placed Illustrator AI file on the left, and an exported PNG of the AI file on the right:

Screen Shot 34.png

If I open the AI vector file in Illustrator, I can see there is a rectangle behind the yellow circle with a .1pt stroke.

Screen Shot 35.png

InDesign doesn’t show the stroke because the background image is interfering. If I hide the image I can see the stroked rectangle in both the PNG and AI files when they are on a dark gray background:

Screen Shot 36.png

Votes

Translate

Translate
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

If the lines are showing in a PDF/X-4 export, and in print output they are not stitching artifacts, which can occur when live transparency is flattened on export (PDF/X-1a). Looks like the placed logos are PDF or AI files? Without seeing the file and assets I would guess there is a hairline stroke somewhere in the logo file, or applied to the logo’s parent frame?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Aug 10, 2020 Aug 10, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks for your return.
In fact, it seems to be random. I tried to use many formats (EPS, AI, PNG...) of the same picture, whites lines were always there. I checked open it in AI : there png was indeed parasite by...sort of invisible cubes, which souldn't been there. Is that what you call "hairline stroke" ?
Then, I tried to import another PNG in ID, white lines there too. So I did same shapes but directly on my current working page, no importing anything. No longer white lines appeared.
That was the time when i thought i fixed the matter.
But when I opened another file, and copy paste the "good" shapes from when it worked, then again, white lines.

I'm french, maybe I don't understand 100%, sorry !

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Bonjour

Et est-il possible d'avoir une copie des fichiers (ai, png) qui sont importés ?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Ce que dit Bob, c'est qu'il pense qu'il ya réellement des filets très fins (hairline strokes) dans le logo ou sur le bloc dans lequel le logo est importé.

Si je comprends bien ta dernière phrase, tu dis que quand tu crées directement une forme dans InDesign, il n'y a pas ces fines lignes mais que si tu copies cette forme dans un autre fichier, elles réapparaissent ?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Aug 11, 2020 Aug 11, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Merci pour ta réponse, et désolée pour mon anglais 😃

Désolée je ne peux pas fournir les fichiers sources malheureusement, seulement des screenshots.
Lorsque j'ai copié collé mon montage de formes (le "badge") préalablement fait sur une autre fenêtre ID, sur mon projet de flyer, les lignes sont apparues. J'ai vérifié tous les contours et styles d'objets, il n'y avait rien pourtant.
J'ai donc refait le même montage directement sur le flyer, et les lignes ne sont pas apparues.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Sans voir les fichiers, c'est difficile d'avoir une idée juste du problème. Mais c'est résolu ou pas ?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

PNG is an image format, so the lines may have been added when the original vector art was exported to PNG.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

@rob day
Thanks for your reply. 

Really ?? I never had this problem before. I worked on ID to do the shapes.
Is ID bad at exporting PNG ???

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Really ?? I never had this problem before.

Here I have a placed Illustrator AI file on the left, and an exported PNG of the AI file on the right:

Screen Shot 34.png

If I open the AI vector file in Illustrator, I can see there is a rectangle behind the yellow circle with a .1pt stroke.

Screen Shot 35.png

InDesign doesn’t show the stroke because the background image is interfering. If I hide the image I can see the stroked rectangle in both the PNG and AI files when they are on a dark gray background:

Screen Shot 36.png

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I understand now, thanks for your patience.
I get this when I select the stroke window.

20200807-rapport-erreurImpression3.jpg

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

It looks to me like the art you have selected in Illustrator is a placed image file—it’s just pixels and no vectors? If that’s the case the lines could be opaque pixels in the image file.

Can you share the Illustrator file along with any placed assets?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Aug 12, 2020 Aug 12, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Indeed, I did the concept on In Design, so it's not vectorial, just pixels. So it could be sort of opaque pixels ?

Edit : Jmlevy corrected me, I did the concept on Indesign, so it's vector and no pixels.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Mais ce logo, il a été créé dans quel logiciel, à l'origine ?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Je l'ai fait sous In Design.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Mais si tu l'as fait dans InDesign, pourquoi l'as tu exporté en png ?  Pour un usage web ?

Et en anglais, tu écris « ce n'est pas vectoriel, que des pixels ». Si tu l'as fait dans InDesign, c'est justement le contraire : que des vecteurs, aucun pixel.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Aug 18, 2020 Aug 18, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Je l'ai d'abord fait sur un projet in design à part, pour le conserver plus pratiquement vu que je savais que j'allais probablement m'en resservir ailleurs.
J'en avais besoin sur un autre projet type flyer, donc je l'ai copié du projet 1 pour le coller au projet flyer.
J'ai eu ces traits blancs, donc j'ai essayé d'autres moyens, d'où le coller dans d'autres "formats".

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Bonjour,

Les impressions sont faites de quelle manière ? À partir d'InDesign ou d'un lecteur de PDF ? Sur quelle type d'imprimante ?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Bonjour et merci pour ta réponse.

J'ai tenté les deux provenances, mais le résultat a été le même. 
L'imprimante est une HP Office JetPro 8730.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Cynthia,

Sorry to hear about your experience. In addition to the questions asked earlier, I'd suggest trying steps given on this help article and let us know if they work.

Looking forward to your response.

Regards,

Ashutosh

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks for your answer.
I didn't found what I needed, but thanks for the share.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

THese stitching lines occur when transparency is flattened. It can happen when you export PDF/X-1a or X-3 or an EPS. Don't use them as import file types. If you import graphics, use PDF/X-4. Take care that no flattend content is placed in the placed images. Never use PNG.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The OP tried PDF/X-4 so they are not stitching artifacts.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks for your reply.

Indeed, like @rob day said, I tried export PDF/X-4.
I also tried in PNG, AI, EPS, PSD format, and copy paste directly shapes i did on ID, to the flyer project ID.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

There is no problem using a PNG as an image format for print as long as it is saved as 24-bits, with enough resolution, and an embedded color profile. PNGs can only be RGB, but they can be converted to CMYK on Export if necessary. When you Export an InDesign page to PDF, the original image format is lost—Acrobat’s Object Inspector would not show a difference between PNG, TIFF, or PSD.

But if the PNG was generated from a vector format like AI, or PDF; and you have the original vector file, PNG would not be a great choice. You would always be better off placing the vectors and not rasterizing the art.

For images, PSD is a more flexible format—you can turn a PSD’s layers on and off inside of InDesign via Object>Object Layer Options... PNGs can include transparency, but they can’t have multiple layers.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines