Highlighted

Why are certain characters, included spaces, highlighted in this file?

Community Beginner ,
May 04, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This will likely be a simple problem for whoever sees the screenshot, but it's baffling me.

I just reopened this file, and certain characters, including spaces, are now highlighted in cyan. I have no idea what this means, what setting or preference in what menu may be causing it, or whether it implies some action that is needed to be taken on my part.

If anyone understands the cause of this and could answer the questions above, it would be very helpful for me.

Thanks.

Adobe Community Professional
Correct answer by Barb Binder | Adobe Community Professional

Hi Chuck:

That is the style override highlighter. You can turn it off by clicking the plus button in the top right corner of the paragraph styles panel or in the character styles panel. But what it means is that the highlighted characters are not following the style – they have an override. So for example, that highlighted space is not the same type face (or size or style) as the text on either side of it.

~Barb

TOPICS
Type

Views

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more

Why are certain characters, included spaces, highlighted in this file?

Community Beginner ,
May 04, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This will likely be a simple problem for whoever sees the screenshot, but it's baffling me.

I just reopened this file, and certain characters, including spaces, are now highlighted in cyan. I have no idea what this means, what setting or preference in what menu may be causing it, or whether it implies some action that is needed to be taken on my part.

If anyone understands the cause of this and could answer the questions above, it would be very helpful for me.

Thanks.

Adobe Community Professional
Correct answer by Barb Binder | Adobe Community Professional

Hi Chuck:

That is the style override highlighter. You can turn it off by clicking the plus button in the top right corner of the paragraph styles panel or in the character styles panel. But what it means is that the highlighted characters are not following the style – they have an override. So for example, that highlighted space is not the same type face (or size or style) as the text on either side of it.

~Barb

TOPICS
Type

Views

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
May 04, 2020 0
Adobe Community Professional ,
May 04, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Chuck:

~Barb

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
May 04, 2020 3
Community Beginner ,
May 12, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank you, Barb.

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
May 12, 2020 0