• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Why are InDesign text frames uneditable, or converted to outlined objects, when opened in CS4?

Community Beginner ,
Nov 09, 2009 Nov 09, 2009

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

When opening a CS3 Layout in CS4 to make client text changes, all the text frame box edges (on their appropriate layers) are shown as dotted lines, and none of the type is editable!

I restored the old version, and opened in CS3 old version, and the same thing applies! Arggggh - there must be a frame preference that I don't know about or an instruction accidentally given.

How do I convert the text boxes back to editable regions? Got a deadline and am miffed.

I am a 20 year veteran of Pagemaker/Indesign/CS and this has never happened to me before!

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Community Expert , Nov 09, 2009 Nov 09, 2009

Dotted lines for frame edges means that the item is on the Master Page. That’s why you can’t edit items, because they are on the Master, not on the numbered page. Either Command-Shift-click on the object to edit it or edit it on the Master Page. You should find out why so much of the document was built on the Master Page. Either the designer meant this to be a template for multiple existing or future pages, or someone just wasn’t paying attention and didn’t realize they were designing on the Mas

Votes

Translate

Translate
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

It sounds like they got converted to outlines (Type > Create Outlines) at some point - possibly to curb a font issue.  As far as I know, there is no way to undo this, you'll need to retype it all, or find the earliest version possible!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Dotted lines for frame edges means that the item is on the Master Page. That’s why you can’t edit items, because they are on the Master, not on the numbered page. Either Command-Shift-click on the object to edit it or edit it on the Master Page. You should find out why so much of the document was built on the Master Page. Either the designer meant this to be a template for multiple existing or future pages, or someone just wasn’t paying attention and didn’t realize they were designing on the Master.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jun 19, 2012 Jun 19, 2012

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I've been having the same problem trying to edit several items on a purchased template. Ctrl-Shift-Click works perfectly. Thanks Scott Falkner!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
May 27, 2015 May 27, 2015

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

you are a genius!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Nov 08, 2018 Nov 08, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

You deserve a cookie, worked like charm

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Oct 17, 2014 Oct 17, 2014

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

thanks so much.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Sounds like everything was either a: converted to outlines, b: grouped and locked, C: on a master page.

If it's a, you're pretty much screwed.

Bob

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Jun 15, 2018 Jun 15, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Just had the same problem thanks! Ctrl-Shift-Click works

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines