Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Why are my colours dulled in indesign?

Community Beginner ,
May 08, 2010 May 08, 2010

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi team.

I guess this is something to do with my colour set up.

basically I am in the process of creating some simple one colour graphics in illustrator. And in illustrator they look just how I want nice and vibrant.

However once I place them into indesign they look dull and lifeless. This would not bother me except when I export to PDF from indeisgn that dull lifeless image is carried to the PDF.

If I PDF from illustrator it looks just how I want.

Frustratingly in the links panel of indesign that same great colour is there but I cannot for the life of me work out why in the document it looks dull and int he PDF too, I really need help on this as its for a tender which needs to be in by the end of the weekend.

To clarify I am not worried so much about absolute colour correction, i.e. calibrating screens etc, my problem is illustrator looks great, indesign looks dull.

TOPICS
How to

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Jul 13, 2011 Jul 13, 2011

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I don't see why PDF wouldn't work. I just did a quick test placing a complex PDF/x and one native ID object on a page and exported it as an FLA. When I open the FLA the spread's movie clip asset has two objects—the PDF as a bitmap and the ID object, so there shouldn't be a problem tweening the PDF bitmap object in and out.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
New Here ,
Oct 31, 2020 Oct 31, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I never thought about creating a new InDesign document and copying and pasting... but in the end I had spent hours trying to fix it and it took 20 minutes to copy and paste. Maybe that's the solution, for now.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Aug 20, 2011 Aug 20, 2011

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

thanks everyone for contributing to this thread, it solved the problem for me. i had bright photos dulled in indesign but bright in the pdf export. and yes indesign was set to cmyk and came up brilliant when i changed it to rgb.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Mar 04, 2016 Mar 04, 2016

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Whenever I have a page that has a PNG file in it, it dulls all of the graphics on that page. It prints normally and exports to PDF normally.

Using original JPGs or other formats resolves this problem. No switching transparency blend space or RGB/CMYK is necessary.

Hope this helps!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Apr 26, 2016 Apr 26, 2016

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I just experience something the same - dull colours on one or two pages of a document but not on others and it had me pulling my hair out.

After much fiddling and asking a colleague if they'd had the same issues, I then looked at all the elements on the offending pages and it ended up being there were 2 objects one was text and one was a vector and both had drop shadows on them which when removed, the image that had been really dull became as bright as the original photoshop file I had used!

I don't think I've had this occur before - has anyone else?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Apr 27, 2016 Apr 27, 2016

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

That's expected behavior. When there's any transparent object ( like a drop shadow) on the page, the page's colors are displayed in the chosen Transparency Blend space. The default is CMYK, but you can set it to RGB.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jul 10, 2017 Jul 10, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Sooooo- i had the same issue so i just removed all PNG images off the page and the colours came back!!! Still doesnt answer how to resolve it or why its freaking out!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Sounds normal. Did you check your transparency blend space?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Literally had read this in the other comments and didn't know what it meant- just looked it up in help and you were dead on!! Changed the blend space to RGB and we are back in business!! Thank you!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jul 13, 2017 Jul 13, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank you Test Screen Name - that solve my problem too - legend

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Jan 07, 2020 Jan 07, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi there!

I had the same problem and now, after weeks I finally solved the problem. For me at least.
I clicked Window > Color > Color and then chose RGB in the right corner of that color window and then poof I had bright colors again. 

Have you solved your problem yet? 

Edit: sorry, saw this post was 10 years old haha. my bad. Maybe it will help someone 😉 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Jan 07, 2020 Jan 07, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

An RGB color might still get previewed as it would output to a CMYK device when Overprint is turned on, or there is any transparent object on the page, with the blend space set to CMYK:

Screen Shot 18.pngScreen Shot 19.pngScreen Shot 20.png

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Oct 21, 2020 Oct 21, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

You just saved me from my 7th rage attack of the day. You are a genius & I appreciate you ❤️ 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Nov 23, 2020 Nov 23, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

My situation is that indesign covert into pdf, everything in pdf looks black only,there is no color in the pdf. Afterwards,

I have undated my acrobat reader,than everything looks fine now~

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines