• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Why is a vector turning pixelated when exporting a pdf from Indesign

New Here ,
Jun 22, 2020 Jun 22, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have a vector file in illustrator that I need to bring into Photoshop in order to add a grain effect (which I do so by pasting it in and selecting the 'smart object' option). I add a mask (using blending modes to make sure the grain only affects the colour and not the white area). It looks fine in photoshop. Then, I bring in this psd file into Indesign. Here the edges look a little bit blurry, but it's when I go to export the file as a high res pdf that the edges look really bad and there's even some odd black dots in the white area. Why is it so blurry if it's a vector file?? Please see attached for before and afters.Vector file in illustratorVector file in illustratorclose up of how it looks in a HR pdfclose up of how it looks in a HR pdf

TOPICS
Import and export , Print

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Once you bought it into Photoshop to apply a raster effect it stopped being a vector. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi AngeG,

InDesign is not able to maintain the vector information as vector if you place the PSD file.

Solution:

From PhotoShop: Save the PSD file to PDF/X-4 without downsampling and place the PDF on your page. That will maintain the vector as vector information if possible ( means: If no transparency effect in InDesign would render the vectors to pixels with PDF export ).

Unfortunately I was wrong. See Rob Day's answer below!

Regards,
Uwe Laubender

( ACP )

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Uwe, I’m not sure if there is a way to keep an AI Smart Object as vectors—at least I’ve never been able to get it to happen. Photoshop Text and Shape Layers work but not a pasted smart object:

Screen Shot 13.png

The Photoshop text and shape layers exported to PDF/X-4

Screen Shot 14.png

The Illustrator Smart Object get rasterized in the PDF:

Screen Shot 15.png

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Rob,

thank you for that!! And you are right!

No chance that the vector objects from AI can survive as vectors when placed as smart object in PhotoShop. Not as AI file, not as PDF from Illustrator. Did some tests now… The only chance to get high resolution is to set PhotoShop's resolution to a high value.

Thanks,
Uwe Laubender

( ACP )

EDITED MY REPLY ABOVE

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

There is a work around for simple shapes. You can create a working path and paste an Illustrator shape into the path and then make a new Solid Fill Layer. That would work in this case, but doesn’t help with complex drawings—I ran into the problem trying to place large format CAD drawings.

Paste the shape into a Path and not the layer:

Screen Shot 16.png

With the Path selected make a Solid color fill

Screen Shot 17.png

The vector path becomes the mask for the solid color fill

Screen Shot 18.png

The PDF

Screen Shot 19.png

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Jun 23, 2020 Jun 23, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Alternately, you can place the photoshop file with the grain into an Illustrator layer and use the Illustrator path to KO the grain. Save as an .ai or PDF and place into InDesign.

Vector with grain.png

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines