• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Word doc w imported endnotes, endnotes begin on recto page

Engaged ,
Aug 05, 2020 Aug 05, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi. Using the new endnote functionality and it's working well. (ID 15.1.1/Win10 1909). However, I am importing a Word doc (.rtf) using Place. I find that ID imports the doc and puts an end-of-flow marker # after the text and before the endnotes. The endnotes begin on the recto page. See screenshot.

How do I get the endnotes either to start under the text or (at the least) on the next page rather than the next recto page? The endnote text apparently starts a new flow within the same document.

Thanks to the community for any help.

-j

id_endnote_starting_recto.png

TOPICS
How to , Import and export

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Community Expert , Aug 11, 2020 Aug 11, 2020

Hi Nedlaw,

the endnotes do only work in endnote frames. You cannot cut/paste endnote texts to an ordinary text frame without loosing contact. Also moving the endnote texts by dragging selected text will not work as you expect. The endnote texts must remain in their own story.

Remains the question:

Why does the endnote text frame start on an odd page and not on the empty one after the main text flow?

Is there an empty frame on the page before the endnotes text frame is positioned?

Regards,
Uwe

Votes

Translate

Translate
Community Expert ,
Aug 06, 2020 Aug 06, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi,

Can you share the settings that you used for your endnotes?

Type menu > Document Endnote Options...

Annotation 2020-08-06 091338.png

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Engaged ,
Aug 06, 2020 Aug 06, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This is an excellent suggestion, and one that had completely escaped me... and it led me to try other solutions I had not originally considered. Many thanks.

Here are my Endnote Options as set:

:endnote_options.png 

and I see -- AHA! -- that there is a setting for where to place the endnotes. However, the choices are On a New Page or Load the Place Cursor. Changing this setting to Load the Place Cursor does not appear to do anything after the import; changing the setting prior to importing does not "load the place cursor" with the endnote copy. Either way, I end up with a single document of two initial pages, one page for body text, one page for endnotes, and each page with an overset marker. (See below) Adding pages to expand these overset markers  (I have my Type Preferences set to Smart Reflow | End of Story and I DO NOT have Limit to Primary Text Frame checked) results in a single document with two flows in succession. (And they are two separate flows as shown by the Story Editor.)

I am importing a Microsoft Word document (I have tried .rtf and .docx formats) with properly placed and formatted MS Word endnotes. BTW, ID brings these in well. InDesign does works differently if I have Load the Place Cursor set and enter the endnotes one by one as I compose the document. On entering the first endnote, it puts an "endnote frame" in the text flow where I select -- but only if I make this choice before entering any endnotes. (Once I do make that choice, I'm wedded to the method I select.) 

HOWEVER, I'm not entering endnotes one-by-one; I'm importing a Word doc. When I import the Word doc, even with Endnote Frame set to Load the Place Cursor, I still get two pages and two flows. (response continues below illustration)

endnote_import_two_flows.png

I tried opening the document in the Story Editor. There are indeed two different text flows in the same file. I tried copying and pasting (and then deleting) the endnotes, but the act of copying/pasting loses the reference numbers, and deleting the endnotes as originally imported deletes their references within the text.

I have tried joining the two frames together. Perhaps my technique is wrong, but loading the cursor from the output port of the upper section only superimposes the text on the lower frame without "pushing anything out of the way."

While I don't see a way to tell the endnote frame to begin on the next page (recto or verso) rather than have it automatically begin on the next recto page (even though labeled only "on next page") I tried deleting the blank verso page between the body copy and the endnote frame, and Lo! that page deleted, everything moved over, and I was able to get the endnote frame onto the "next available new page" without an intervening blank. This is satisfactory, even if not ideal.

In summary: while File | Place brings in the body copy and its endnotes from the writer's Word doc, controlling the placement is problematic. However, deleting any intervening blank page(s) after the fact can get the endnotes closer to the end of the body copy, and that may be the best I can do.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Aug 11, 2020 Aug 11, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Nedlaw,

the endnotes do only work in endnote frames. You cannot cut/paste endnote texts to an ordinary text frame without loosing contact. Also moving the endnote texts by dragging selected text will not work as you expect. The endnote texts must remain in their own story.

Remains the question:

Why does the endnote text frame start on an odd page and not on the empty one after the main text flow?

Is there an empty frame on the page before the endnotes text frame is positioned?

Regards,
Uwe Laubender

( ACP )

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Engaged ,
Aug 11, 2020 Aug 11, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

There certainly may have been an empty frame on the even page. I'm past the problem now. The brute-force fix was the correct one -- I simply deleted the blank page, the endnotes moved over, and all was as well as it needed to be.

After hitting my head on this several times, I came to the conclusion that you stated: the endnotes are in an endnote frame. I am appreciating and enjoying them where they are.

Thanks for the feedback.

-j

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines