• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Word to InDesign to HTML Endnote Issue

New Here ,
Apr 28, 2021 Apr 28, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have an ongoing print magazine project that culminates in an output to html for additional online publishing. The magazine is endnote-heavy with many articles having over 100 endnotes. Typically, 80% of the articles output with no problems and have all of the endnote links intact within the html code. The other 20% do not. They won't output at all, hanging up at the html output stage indefinitely. In these instances I am only able to output the main text as html and have to output a separate rtf file for the endnotes and then manually create all the links within the website cms. That's awful. 

I can't determine where the problem is occurring. It seems completely random. The workflow for this publication is fairly old school - Word docs provided by editors, imported into InDesign for print layout, exported to PDF for print, exported to html for web.

Any thoughts of how to troubleshoot?

TOPICS
Import and export , Publish online

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

HTML out of InDesign is garbage, anyway. Why not take it right from Word?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

"I can't determine where the problem is occurring. It seems completely random."

Hi colbythor,

does the links to an endnote text and also back to the endnote reference work if you export to PDF?

Always? For all 100 endnotes? To make that work you have to check Insert: Hyperlinks and also Create Tagged PDF.

If some links will not work this way it is very likely that they will also not work with export to HTML.

How is a particular endnote defined in your HTML ?

Is it missing at all? Or is formed in an unusual way?

Below a working sample of one of my test documents from my German InDesign 2021 on Windows 10.

Endnote reference in the body text:

</span><span class="CharOverride-2"><span id="endnote-001-backlink"><a class="_idEndnoteLink _idGenColorInherit" href="#endnote-001">1</a></span></span><span class="CharOverride-1">

Corresponding endnote together with two other endnote texts:

<div id="_idContainer001" class="Einfacher-Textrahmen">
			<p class="Einf--Abs-">Endnoten</p>
			<p class="Einf--Abs-"><span id="endnote-001"><a class="_idEndnoteAnchor _idGenColorInherit" href="#endnote-001-backlink">1</a>&#9;Endnote text</span></p>
			<p class="Einf--Abs-"><span id="endnote-002"><a class="_idEndnoteAnchor _idGenColorInherit" href="#endnote-002-backlink">2</a>&#9;Endnote text</span></p>
			<p class="Einf--Abs-"><span id="endnote-003"><a class="_idEndnoteAnchor _idGenColorInherit" href="#endnote-003-backlink">3</a>&#9;Endnote text</span></p>
		</div>

Regards,
Uwe Laubender

( ACP )

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines