• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Workflow for searchable PDF org chart?

Explorer ,
Jul 10, 2020 Jul 10, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have a number of org charts that I'm braiding into one org chart.

I'd like to make the resulting PDF searchable, by name, by classification, by branch or office, or by location.

Any ideas about how I'd go about this? Or, rather, HELP!

The seperate org charts start out asPDFs auto-generated from a database I don't have access to. Then I'm editing these PDFs through Illustrator, then assembling the result in InDesign, into a wall chart, about 12'x6'. I'd like to make the file into a searchable PDF, since we don't seem to be in the office much lately.

Any suggestions appreciated.

TOPICS
EPUB , How to

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Guru ,
Jul 10, 2020 Jul 10, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Acrobat comes with a find function to search for text in you .pdf file. 

or are you asking if you can program your own search engine inside your layout?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Dec 08, 2020 Dec 08, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

It appears that the Find function is working, and I can see correct results when I open the Advanced tab, but the search doesn't zoom to the text in any way - is there a way to change this?

I wonder if I'm going about this all wrong and should go back and study interactivity somehow, as well as user experiences for this type of display of information?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Jul 11, 2020 Jul 11, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The Acrobat and Reader search tool works well for live type, it does not work for outlined or raster type.

Have you considered adding alphabetical lists for name, classification, branch or office, or location? You could add hyperlink destinations (or cross-references) to each list item that would take you to the location of the item on the chart. Alternately, you could add buttons to each list item that would highlight the location on the chart. One way to do this would be to add an InDesign layer for each item that would contain a yellow box located behind the item location(s) on the chart, clicking or hovering over the item on the list would reveal the yellow box.

A banner sized PDF might produce a screen PDF that would be hard to read, unless zoomed in, so you will need to address that issue. Color coding would probably help keep things organized. Lastly, remember that people always are on the move, so try to make the chart easy to update, and include the revision date (modification date text variable).

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,
Jul 20, 2020 Jul 20, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi there,

I'm hoping that the issue is resolved for you. 

If any of the above-mentioned solutions or suggestions helped, please mark them correct.

If not, do let us know so that we can assist you further.

Regards,

Sheena

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Dec 04, 2020 Dec 04, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I am getting the feeling that I'm not understanding the workflow here - I'm ePublishing this document? Or am I making a PDF?

I'm finding unfortunately that my auto-generated source PDFs are often a mess, with fragmented character strings.

The target finished project is a wall chart, searchable by humans with little ladders for getting up to read bits … thought some interactivity would make this work on a tablet or monitor as a PDF - but I think maybe the ePub thing is a possibility.

Also, I put in a question about Bookmarks and zooming, but it seems hyperlinks are the way to go? Zoom to the object? I thought all interactivity was jettisoned when making a PDF?

Thanks for your answers BTW - appreciate all you guys do here.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines