Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Working with Outlined Text

Explorer ,
Nov 05, 2020 Nov 05, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi,

Prior to the update - when I converted text to outlines, they would be grouped. So, in other words - if the text were "the" there would be 3 compound paths, grouped together. Hit ungroup and I could edit each one (change color) - picture below for illustration - I am a stationery designer.

Now I am just getting one compound path and they only way I can work with each character to color is with the direct selection tool, which I'd prefer not to touch as it often has unexpected results.

Thoughts?

TOPICS
Performance

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 2 Correct answers

Community Expert , Nov 05, 2020 Nov 05, 2020

But it is absolutely not necessary to outline the text to color each letter separately.

Capture d’écran 2020-11-05 à 20.25.20.jpg

Votes

Translate

Translate

On behalf of Adobe …

Very Seriously!  If you have a “printer” who requires outlined text, you (or perhaps a client of yours) should be looking for a new printer!

There is absolutely no good reason for a print service provider in this day and age to reject a PDF file exported from InDesign using the PDF/X-4 export settings allowing for (1) live transparency and (2) use of ICC tagged RGB content where appropriate as well as “live text” referencing subset-embedded fonts.

The fact is that no R

Votes

Translate

Translate
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

But it is absolutely not necessary to outline the text to color each letter separately.

Capture d’écran 2020-11-05 à 20.25.20.jpg

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Wow - method?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks - got it. For printing - I need to outline text in the end no matter what - it at my printers need - but I see what you mean here. Alittle more awkward than my old way - but this will work. Thank you.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

On behalf of Adobe …

Very Seriously!  If you have a “printer” who requires outlined text, you (or perhaps a client of yours) should be looking for a new printer!

There is absolutely no good reason for a print service provider in this day and age to reject a PDF file exported from InDesign using the PDF/X-4 export settings allowing for (1) live transparency and (2) use of ICC tagged RGB content where appropriate as well as “live text” referencing subset-embedded fonts.

The fact is that no RIP/DFE used for making printing plates (for offset or flexo) or directly imaging a digital printer cannot fully and properly handle “live text.” In fact, all “outlining text” yields is bloated PDF file size, increased RIP times, an inability to search or do PDF text touch up, and in many cases, degraded print quality.

The only time one should “outline text” is in situations in which you need to do artistic transformations of glyphs that are beyond simple changes of color, rotation, size, etc. Highly-stylized logos using text might qualify for such a situation where outlining text may be the only way to achieve a particular graphical effect.

Then, why do we keep on hearing about printers who “require” text outlining (or pre-flattened transparency or all non-CMYK content converted to CMYK)? The basic reason comes down to lack of training or keeping current with modern end-to-end PDF publishing / print workflows. Perhaps the personnel involved got into the industry in the 1980s or early 1990s or learned the trade from someone from that era and have not kept up in terms of training as to industry best practices. Or maybe you are dealing with modern day Luddites?!?! Whatever, I'd be more that happy to personally help educate such printers!

Either way, if you are dealing with such printers, there is a very good chance that things can go very wrong in terms of the printed output you receive from same. You've been warned!

- Dov Isaacs, former Adobe Principal Scientist (April 30, 1990 - May 30, 2021)

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Alittle more awkward than my old way 

Are you serious? There is nothing more simple and more basic…

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

There is no way to control the outcome of grouping of characters, words, etc. when you create outlines.

I would suggest copy and paste outlines into Illustrator for easier selecting of elements.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines