• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

wrapped-around graphic with caption

Engaged ,
Feb 16, 2019 Feb 16, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi. I'm looking for a way to place a graphic (let's say it's half the width of the text column, and placed flush right within the text column). I want the text to flow around it to its left AND I want a numbered caption below it.

I can easily put in a graphic that flows with text and has a numbered caption below it -- IF that graphic and caption occupy the text column from left to right. I know about paragraph styles that don't user predecessor styles for the graphic. I use this technique all the time, putting screen shots into documentation.

When I go to put in a flush-right half-column graphic, however, and have the text flow around it, things become problematic. It seems that I can put in an anchored graphic and position it flush right in the text column, and the text flows around it just fine... but I can't find a place to put the associated following paragraph that is the numbered caption. I can also put in a graphic (using the full-width column technique) and make that graphic flush right AND I can put a numbered caption below it... but then I can't get text to flow around it.

Obviously, I'm missing a crucial bit of technique, here.

Thanks for any help.

-JW

In summary, what I'm trying to achieve:

• Flush-right graphic occupying ~half the text column
  • Numbered caption below the graphic that stays with the graphic (critical for the cap to be in the text flow so that the numbers adjust correctly)
  • Text flows around graphic and its caption
  • Graphic and caption will rise or fall in the text column along with the text, with added or deleted text above them.

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Community Expert , Feb 16, 2019 Feb 16, 2019

Group the graphic and the text caption.

Draw a frame that is large enough for both.

Select the grouped graphic and caption and cut the group.

Select the empty frame and choose Edit > Paste Into.

Position the group and apply a text wrap.

Votes

Translate

Translate
Community Expert ,
Feb 16, 2019 Feb 16, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Group the graphic and the text caption.

Draw a frame that is large enough for both.

Select the grouped graphic and caption and cut the group.

Select the empty frame and choose Edit > Paste Into.

Position the group and apply a text wrap.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Engaged ,
Feb 17, 2019 Feb 17, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks so much, Barbara. This is exactly what I needed and performs precisely as I need it to.

--JW

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Engaged ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I spoke a moment too soon. This method does indeed put a graphic and a numbered caption into the text stream and the text wraps around it... but it does not move down when new text is added above it. Now I'm searching for some way to anchor the frame to specific text so that it flows up and down.

-JW

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Engaged ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Okay: figured out. The instructions in your correct answer "Draw a frame large enough for both," and "Paste into" -- that frame must be an anchored frame. Sorry to be so dense... but you certainly put me on the right track.

--JW

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Great! Glad that helped. Sorry I didn't see you question about anchoring sooner. But its even better that you were able to figure it out yourself.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines