• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Write on two different text box

New Here ,
Mar 04, 2021 Mar 04, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hello!! it is possible to create some kind of file/script/action, could be on Indesign or illustrator, where the operator (not graphic designer people) can write on the box number 1 (as show in the picture) and that text reflect at the same time on those to "coins"? so they dont have to touch or deal with the design, only fill the text out and export as PDF, the final use is to engrave with laser machine

TOPICS
Scripting , Type

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 2 Correct answers

Community Expert , Mar 04, 2021 Mar 04, 2021

Hi db1407,

the next best thing you could do this ( without writing a script ) is to use a Story Editor window that is showing the contents of three text paths and two text frames threaded to one story. Of course InDesign is required and the operators have to select one of the text paths or one of the text frames where the type is running and press Cmd + Y (Mac) or Ctrl + Y (Windows). From my German InDesign 2021 on Windows 10 where the Story Editor window is open:

Coin-ThreadedTextPathsAndFrames-StoryEditor-1.PNG

How the text paths and the

Votes

Translate

Translate
Community Expert , Mar 04, 2021 Mar 04, 2021

Using Story Editor and the linked frames is brilliant, Uwe. Here's what I'd add to the workflow:

1. Lock the coins for their protection. Create para styles for the white coin. Create para styles for the black coin, based on the original styles, with just a color change to white.
    1.png
  2. Use Edit > Place and Link and map the paragraph styles. I am mapping the black styles to the white styles. 
    2.png
  3. Place, align. Then, edit the parent story in Story Editor. The out-of-date link icon appears on the black coin's f

Votes

Translate

Translate
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

As you described it, that is not a facility offered by either InDesign or Illustrator.

You haven't told us the details ot the workflow. Maybe you can describe it in more detail and people can chime in with alternatives. The more details you provide, the more likely a  suggestion can be made.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi db1407,

the next best thing you could do this ( without writing a script ) is to use a Story Editor window that is showing the contents of three text paths and two text frames threaded to one story. Of course InDesign is required and the operators have to select one of the text paths or one of the text frames where the type is running and press Cmd + Y (Mac) or Ctrl + Y (Windows). From my German InDesign 2021 on Windows 10 where the Story Editor window is open:

Coin-ThreadedTextPathsAndFrames-StoryEditor-1.PNG

How the text paths and the text frames are threaded:

Coin-ThreadedTextPathsAndFrames-StoryEditor-2.PNG

All paragraphs can be formatted in a different way. Use paragraph styles for this.

But all paragraphs should be formatted with Start Paragraph: Next Frame

Coin-ThreadedTextPathsAndFrames-StoryEditor-3.PNG

Regards,
Uwe Laubender

( ACP )

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Using Story Editor and the linked frames is brilliant, Uwe. Here's what I'd add to the workflow:

1. Lock the coins for their protection. Create para styles for the white coin. Create para styles for the black coin, based on the original styles, with just a color change to white.
    1.png
  2. Use Edit > Place and Link and map the paragraph styles. I am mapping the black styles to the white styles. 
    2.png
  3. Place, align. Then, edit the parent story in Story Editor. The out-of-date link icon appears on the black coin's first frame.
    3.png
  4. Just click it to update it. 
    4.png

~Barb

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

You guys are the best Uwe, Barb!!! thanks so much, that helps a lot

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

We are always happy to help. I also added the scripting tag to your original post. Who knows? Maybe you can do all this with a single click! 😆

~Barb 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

One last thought—I would actually put the coins on their own layer and lock the layer. And add the text to an unlocked text layer.

A new (or careless user) can unlock a locked object by inadvertently clicking one of the padlock icons in my first screen shot. They're much less likely to get into the Layers panel and unlock a layer that they're not even aware of.

~Barb

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Guide ,
Mar 05, 2021 Mar 05, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines