• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Wrong dictionary for one text box

Community Beginner ,
Mar 31, 2021 Mar 31, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have a text element - a text box with some complex formatted text, that i keep copying and pasting into new iterations of a document I need to keep updating/recreating.

Every time I go to spell check the overall document, this one section switches to the German dictionary - I'm working in US English - and I can't effectively check that section. The rest of the document uses the US English dictionary.

I expect I could just rebuild the element... but it bothers me to not know how to switch dictionaries. I've tried simply selecting the US English dictionary from the User Dictionary panel under Edit > Spelling... but that doesn't do anything.

Is there a way to "assign" a dictionary to an entire document - I'm not even sure that makes sense....

Thanks for any guidance

darren

TOPICS
How to

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Community Expert , Mar 31, 2021 Mar 31, 2021

Changing the dictionary as you've done only affects any new items going forward.

You can certainly set a particular dictionary to be your default for any new documents (i.e., set the dictionary before you open a New document (making sure any Styles use that dictionary as well (e.g. Basic Paragraph)). As for existing text blocks, they will stay with whatever was assigned to them, or whatever is defined in Styles that may be applied to that text, unless you manually go in and select that text and c

Votes

Translate

Translate
Community Expert ,
Mar 31, 2021 Mar 31, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Changing the dictionary as you've done only affects any new items going forward.

You can certainly set a particular dictionary to be your default for any new documents (i.e., set the dictionary before you open a New document (making sure any Styles use that dictionary as well (e.g. Basic Paragraph)). As for existing text blocks, they will stay with whatever was assigned to them, or whatever is defined in Styles that may be applied to that text, unless you manually go in and select that text and change the dictionary assigned to it (Character panel). To make it easier. you can do a search and replace to find a particular dictionary and change it to another (making sure to update any Styles appropriately).

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Apr 01, 2021 Apr 01, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Thank you for the response - took me a second, but once i actually read the detail of your advice... manually change... on the Character Panel... seems to have worked. I kept trying to change/assign a different dictionary under Edit>Spelling>User dictionary... which didn't do anything.

Thanks for your help.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines