• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Zero-byte .indd files

Explorer ,
Mar 06, 2020 Mar 06, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I've seen some similar posts, here and elsewhere, but never one quite like this. 

My colleagues and I exchange files, including InDesign files, via a Microsoft OneDrive file server. We also use OneDrive loaded on our machines, for security. 

Often when I download an InDesign file from the server and attempt to open it locally, nothing happens--no message or anything; the file simply doesn't open. Then I notice that the File-Open window indicates Zero Bytes. 

Screen Shot 2020-03-06 at 2.12.05 PM.jpg

When I view the same file in the finder, it indicates a reasonable size--30-something MB. 

Screen Shot 2020-03-06 at 2.11.36 PM.jpg

But it still won't open--and again, when I look at it through the File-Open window in InDesign, it shows Zero Bytes. 

This doesn't happen with any other program--just InDesign. Of course it is a major time-sink. 

I've seen reports of similar problems with Google Drive, but there is no Google Drive in our workflow. 

I have tried closing InDesign and reopening, then trying to open the file again. Doesn't help. 

Sometimes I can then download the filea gain from the server, and then it will open. Not always. But that's the fix, such as it is: Keep downloading the file until finally it works. Pretty inefficient. 

A fix would be very much appreciated. 

Jim 

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

>Often when I download an InDesign file from the server and attempt to open it locally, nothing happens--no message or anything; the file simply doesn't open. Then I notice that the File-Open window indicates Zero Bytes. 

It sounds like the problem is with the server. Your IT department may have to configure it correctly.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

>It sounds like the problem is with the server. Your IT department may have to configure it correctly.

If the problem is with the server, then why does it affect only InDesign files? 

It's clear that those files are downloading; I can watch the bytes tic as they download, and then I see the filesize displayed--same size as on the server. It's when I attempt to open it that the file size goes to zero bytes. 

Thanks,

Jim

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Turn off smart sync

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

>Turn off smart sync<

Isn't that a Dropbox thing? 

Thanks,

Jim

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST
Both services offer it.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines