• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

P: Improved Fuji X-Trans Support?

Contributor ,
Jul 02, 2014 Jul 02, 2014

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Is Fuji X-Trans support being worked on?I appreciate that the support is better now than it was, but the reality is that Lightroom is still a long way behind other RAW developers, all of which are less well funded and with smaller teams working on the software.Lightroom has been the leader in RAW processing an image cataloging as far back as I can recall; but with the Fuji X-Trans files many people I know are leaving Adobe Lightroom for one of the many other developers, all of which are producing far better results than Adobe Lightroom.Ones I have personally tested are as follows: Iridient DeveloperPhoto NinjaLightZoneCapture OneApertureSilkyPixRaw TherapeeIridient is very good, and this is a piece of software made by a single man.My question is, if he can get it right, why can't Adobe? They have been leaders in innovation for many years but it seems in some areas now they are falling behind - I have never seen so many people leave a major developer for smaller independent ones, but to Fuji users (both enthusiasts and professionals) it's a pretty simple decision when you compare results.So all I'd like to know is if my patience sticking with Lightroom is justified, and whether a solution is being worked on - or will always be worked on. Or is it a case that the users wanting such a change are not enough to support such work.

Bug Acknowledged
TOPICS
macOS , Windows

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Adobe Employee , Feb 12, 2019 Feb 12, 2019
Hi Everyone,

We are happy to announce the release of Lightroom Classic CC 8.2. With this release, we’ve introduced a new feature called Enhanced Details.

Photographers using cameras featuring X-Trans sensors should see an improved rendering of their Fuji raw files.

To learn more about how this new feature works check out the blog post:  https://theblog.adobe.com/enhance-details/

Cheers,
Carissa

Votes

Translate

Translate
replies 376 Replies 376
376 Comments
Adobe Employee ,
Feb 12, 2019 Feb 12, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks for responding. I just ran 3 files back to back. The shortest was 20 seconds the longest was 25 seconds.  Do you see this magnitude of slowness on all files or just this one?
Rikk Flohr - Customer Advocacy: Adobe Photography Products

Votes

Translate

Translate

Participant ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This is the first one I tried, processing is still running and the option Enhanced Details is greyed-out now for all other .RAF photos.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Participant ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Rikk, I just gave up, killed Lightroom, restarted machine and works like a charm now. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Participant ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Well, seems to work pretty good, making stack of an old and enhanced picture. BUT - since the stacks are not being synced (this topic ), all photos with Enhanced Details are now duplicated on mobile devices  😠

Also, enhanced picture is 5 (five) times bigger then original on the cloud. Yes, the image is just a slightly sharper, but not 5 times bigger.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Adobe Employee ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Good news!  Glad a restart helped.
Rikk Flohr - Customer Advocacy: Adobe Photography Products

Votes

Translate

Translate

LEGEND ,
Feb 18, 2019 Feb 18, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Details at 100% still look pretty watercolour awful.

Votes

Translate

Translate

New Here ,
Jun 04, 2019 Jun 04, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Same here . Four issues that should be resolved : 1.the main one is that Lightroom does not handle .RAF files properly creating the “worm” artifact when details begin to be above 30 or so (>4 years without a solution). 2. Enhance details is a very poor fix to the problem, it takes long and creates big duplicates making it unusable. 3. Third is that LR CC Mobile applies high detail levels by default on import for .RAFs creating worms by default . 4th is that on Lightroom CC Cloud there is no way to apply just a detail fix in batch for many photos. You can copy and paste all edits but not just the detail fix. Profiles only work one by one . These 4 things make adoption of .RAF files a real PAIN in Lightroom CC/Cloud Mobile . I either need to change my gear or find alternates for LR CC Cloud

Votes

Translate

Translate

LEGEND ,
Jun 04, 2019 Jun 04, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

When using RAF and LR, just apply an insane amount of cognitive dissonance. Slide the cognitive dissonance slider to +100 and you’re good to go.

Votes

Translate

Translate

New Here ,
Jul 08, 2019 Jul 08, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hey all,

So I know that you know that we know there are issues with Fuji's X-Trans processors but when are you going to tackle this please?

I've just downloaded Capture One and there are zero issues with worming and red teeth. I'm astonished Adobe haven't rectified this yet and everyone seems content to just wait.

I'm actually loathed to move everything across to C1 as my entire back catalogue is in LR (and I use PS too) but I'm seriously thinking about it as the quality of my LR files are appalling.

Can I ask if resolving this is a priority for Adobe please?

Votes

Translate

Translate

New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I was not content with waiting. I waited long enough snd eventually got tired Adobe’s half baked “fixes” like the groundbreaking enhanced detail, which was an absolute joke, so I defected to Alien Skin’s Exposure X4. I didn’t care for the interface and controls of C1. I found it very clunky and not very intuitive. Too much clicking in and out of menus to access basic tools. It rendered XTrans files beautifully but falls short on interface and clogged up my workflow. Exposure X4 is almost identical to LR so there is virtually no learning curve and unlike LR, it actually displays RAF files correctly. I only use LR for my infrared work now. If I didn’t do that, I would just be done with Adobe all together. If I were you, I wouldn’t wait any longer. This has been a problem for years and years and they still haven’t figured it out. It iiterally one man (creator of Iridient) has figured it out, surely Adobe with their assloads of money and thousands of people can. But they won’t. So stop waiting. Try all the softwares available and go with one you like. Adobe has made it painfully apparent that they just don’t care about Fuji shooters

Votes

Translate

Translate

New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Yeah but Iridient was giving me a gigantic file. Much too big

Votes

Translate

Translate

New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Yeah the link at the top of this post is for Windows 10 which I don't have so that isn't going to help. Surely they must know this is ongoing? 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I can't see from your screenshots what you mean, and it's meaningless without seeing your Detail panel settings. The trouble is that as soon as one questions someone's crude use of these sliders, they go into defensive mode!

Votes

Translate

Translate

New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Why would they do that?! I figured out from another group I had a couple of sliders on i.e. Color 25, Detail 50, Smoothness 50 but amended these to: Sharpening 15, Radius 1.0, Detail 10, Masking 10, and have Noise Reduction sliders to 0. Base preset is Classic Chrome as recommended by someone. But still rubbish! What do you use? 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Because one is inherently saying that they don't know what they are doing, and people don't like that 😉
I use settings that are specific to the characteristics of the image. Maybe what will help you is to break away from the mentality of the "Base preset is Classic Chrome as recommended by someone" and "I figured out from another group". Sure, choose Classic Chrome if you like its look, but try other looks too. For what it is worth, I prefer the Previa film simulation as it gives a neutral but attractive look from where I can add saturation or not, as I see fit. As for the Detail panel settings, I don't feel high Detail settings do much for Fuji, but higher Masking is often beneficial as it allows one to use more aggressive sharpening and target it only on those areas that need it. Make sure you hold down the Alt/Opt key when you drag these sliders. Hope that helps.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Whilst the careful use of settings can mitigate how badly Lightroom renders X trans files, you simply do not get this problem with Capture 1 etc.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Participant ,
Jul 09, 2019 Jul 09, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Honestly, I'm also not fan of all that worms in .RAF images, BUT... notice that Adobe RAF processing completely removes color noise. Absolutely, no action needed, never. And looking at your screenshots, I see massive loss of sharpness in Capture One. You can set strong noise reduction in Lightroom and then you're probably gonna get similar output.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community Beginner ,
Aug 28, 2020 Aug 28, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'm curious if this is being investigated and worked on? There is a well known issue that Lightroom Classic renders Fujifilm X-trans sensor raw files poorly and shows worming and other strange artifacts compared to other raw processors.

This is actually becoming a major issue, and Fujifilm users are not an insignificant portion of users who are tempted by other products that do render their files properly.

Enhance Details does seem to render the files better, but then we are left with a large DNG file to manage, not to mention the processing time.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Advisor ,
Aug 29, 2020 Aug 29, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

You could use Iridient X-Transformer. It gives better results and is faster than Enhance Details. It is also well integrated with Lightroom.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Samoreen I’ve used it. But why? Think of how awful this would be if all users of Lightroom (Sony, Canon, Nikon etc) had to first make a duplicate copy of their raw files in another program in order to properly edit them. And then manage 2-3 different files of the same image (RAF, DNG, JPEG)

Adobe really needs to address the native rendering of Fuji files with Camera Raw.

As a stop gap they could provide an option to use the Enhance Details engine to render/preview/export without generating new DNG files.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Advisor ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

> Adobe really needs to address the native rendering of Fuji files with Camera Raw.

Agreed. However, Adobe seem to consider that the problem is fixed on their side. Do not expect any solution from Adobe in the near future. So, Fuji X-Trans users have to find a solution. There are not much :

- DxO Photolab still doesn't support X-Trans RAW files
- Capture One gives good results but the UI is far from being user friendly and the pricing is excessive.
- Silkypix Developer Studio Pro is also able to handle these files correctly but the UI is archaic.
- ... (not aware of any other good RAW processors that are able to handle these files correctly or that are stable enough to be used safely).

Votes

Translate

Translate

Participant ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Different, yes. Better, in the eye of the beholder.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Participant ,
Feb 22, 2021 Feb 22, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Is a real solution still being worked on? Enhance Detail is, as far as I am concerned, is not a real solution because it takes extra clicks and time for every photo. And the new files that are created take up extra space. Then I have to spend extra time deleting those files later. 

So, I just wanna know if a real solution is being worked on?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Participant ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I really hope this is still being worked on. Lightroom still does not render X-Trans files correctly.

And Enhance Detail is not a good solution. It works, but it also requires a lot of extra time and disk space when you have to do it for thousands of photos. And if you want to get the extra disk space back, you have to spend even more time to delete the files. Its not a good solution.

Can Adobe confirm that this is still being worked on? Or should we all just cancel our subscriptions and switch to another program?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Participant ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

As a Fuji X-T3 user I sympathize but the real problem is the silly sensor which is Fuji's fault. Contrary to what some "believe", all image editing software has problems with the sensor except DxO which does not even attempt to support it. 

Votes

Translate

Translate