I discovered a very strange performance problem in LR4 final (64 bit, Win7):
1. Load a RAW file into develop module, e.g. from a Canon 40D
2. Reset to adobe defaults
3. Set "Highlights" to a different value than zero, use e.g. -40
4. Change the exposure value. Refresh rate should be relatively fast.
5. Now turn *off* the entire "Detail" section.
6. Change the exposure value. Refresh rate drops dramatically!
The strange things are: a) The refresh rate does *not* drop if sharpening, luminance and color noise red. are all set to zero instead of turning of "Details". b) The refresh rate does *only* drop if the "highlights" or "shadows" sliders are set to something different than zero ("whites" and "blacks" do not matter!).
The effect seems to happen in all zoom stages, and seems to affect all other settings, too, e.g. clarity and saturation (and even "highlights" or "shadows" themselves).
Edit: There seems to be no similar effect in PV 2010 - using recovery and fill light while "Detail" is turned off does not affect performance.