• ķ•œźµ­ ģ»¤ė®¤ė‹ˆķ‹°
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

P: Book Module ā€“ Unfinished book vanishes

Community Beginner ,
Apr 02, 2012 Apr 02, 2012

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Iā€™m creating my first Blurb book inside of Lightroom 4. There are some 175 images in my collection/filmstrip. I was about 80% complete with the book, when I selected an image to go into the Development Module for adjustments. When done I returned to the Book Module. But the book was gone! The filmstrip at the bottom of the page is there indicating images are in the book, but the book itself is empty with only a cover and two blank pages. If I add an already ā€œusedā€ image, the filmstrip counter goes from 1 to 2.

Trying to fix this problem, I backed up and optimized my catalog. But upon restarting Lightroom no change... and no book!

Any suggestions as how to get my book back? Or do I have to start over!

Bug Fixed
TOPICS
macOS , Windows

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 2 Correct answers

Adobe Employee , Dec 02, 2012 Dec 02, 2012
Hi Ben,

This bug is fixed in Lightroom 4.3. Upgrading may not recover your book, but will prevent you from losing books in the future.

Becky

Votes

Translate

Translate
Adobe Employee , Oct 09, 2012 Oct 09, 2012
Sharad, the product manager for Lightroom, has just posted an update as blog entry on this book issue. It includes specifics on what can cause it and how to avoid it. Thanks to the help of Marko and few other users the team has tracked down a reproducible case/steps that the team can use to nail down a more permanent fix in a future update to Lightroom 4:

http://blogs.adobe.com/lightroomjourn...

Votes

Translate

Translate
replies 124 Replies 124
124 Comments
Adobe Employee ,
Oct 16, 2012 Oct 16, 2012

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

As noted above in the official answer are directions to upgrade to 4.2 and to avoid this problem.

Votes

Translate

Translate

LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Yeah, but a lot of people might not upgrade, or delay upgrading because they do not know there is a serious issue.

Think about it. You sit down to work, have only a couple hours of time, and tons of ideas for your precious book project. You bootup Lightroom and the update screen pops up, what do you do you? hit 'update later' of course, because updating is time consuming, and you have work to do.

However, if people knew the risk they were taking by using the book module, then they would update right away.

The responsible thing for your company to do is warn people so they don't miss they update. you know there is an issue in 4.1. you have confirmed it. Please warn people. And please don't pass responibilty on the user who is unaware of the problem.

Votes

Translate

Translate

LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Yeah, but a lot of people might not upgrade, or delay upgrading because they do not know there is a serious issue.

Think about it. You sit down to work, have only a couple hours of time, and tons of ideas for your precious book project. You bootup Lightroom and the update screen pops up, what do you do you? hit 'update later' of course, because updating is time consuming, and you have work to do.

However, if people knew the risk they were taking by using the book module, then they would update right away.

The responsible thing for your company to do is warn people so they don't miss they update. you know there is an issue in 4.1. you have confirmed it. Please warn people. And please don't pass responibilty on the user who is unaware of the problem.

Votes

Translate

Translate

New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Yes, that's what I'm doing now (save in pdf) + I save manually my catalogue, so I can come back to the last saving if a problem occurs.
But now I avoid to edit images when they are in the book (If I have to do so I start to erase the image from the book, then reinsert it after editing); since this time I have no problem.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Adobe Employee ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

That's why the application informs you that upgrades are available when you launch it.

Votes

Translate

Translate

LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Arrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrgggghhhhhhhhh!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Good point.

Votes

Translate

Translate

LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

If the application said "UPGRADE NOW YOU ARE IN DANGER OF LOSING ALL YOUR WORK BECAUSE OF A BUG IN THE BOOK MODULE" people would upgrade right away. However, people generally do not upgrade right away for a couple of reasons:

1 ) Upgrades are time consuming, and people are often time constrained and need to get work done, so delay.

2 ) Upgrades may introduce new bugs, so people wait a bit to see if there are any issues. For example, there is also a thread on this forum (which you are monitoring) about new problems cause by upgrades.

http://feedback.photoshop.com/photosh...

The thing is don't blame the user. Inform them. As good interface designers should know, the user is (almost) never wrong. If the user is don't doing something correctly, then maybe there is a problem with the design. In the case the problem lack of info. The users don't know how critical the update is.

Instead of playing the Cover Your A** game, Adobe should just be honest, and send an email to all registered users and let them know about the problem and the critical importance of the upgrade.

Votes

Translate

Translate

LEGEND ,
Oct 28, 2012 Oct 28, 2012

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Crazy, i just spent 50 hours on my book with a lot of text, it's gone when i quit LR and saved database. Is there any possibility to restore ???

Votes

Translate

Translate

LEGEND ,
Oct 29, 2012 Oct 29, 2012

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

What Lightroom version?

Votes

Translate

Translate

LEGEND ,
Nov 08, 2012 Nov 08, 2012

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have the same issue. I have lost 60 pages of a book and about 60 hours of work down the drain. Will be switching back to Blurb.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Adobe Employee ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Sorry about the lost work -- Have you updated to LR 4.2 yet?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Adobe Employee ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'd also suggest trying the 4.3 public RC (just posted at http://labs.adobe.com/technologies/li...), which contains a fix for this book problem.

Votes

Translate

Translate

New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have had the same problem and am now half way through a new book of 140 pages.
i have asked whether it is safe to upgrade to 4.2 whilst in the middle of this book and have not had an answer. Is it safe?
I am also having problems saving to PDF. it worked on an early draft of the book but I now get an error message with no explanation. Any ideas what may be causing it?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Adobe Employee ,
Nov 09, 2012 Nov 09, 2012

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Matt,

The cause of the vanishing books involves using different text colors within the same text cell. If you don't have multiple text colors in your book, you should be safe.

I would recommend updating to Lightroom 4.2 to be even safer. This Lightroom Journal blog post describes how Lightroom 4.2 can help: http://blogs.adobe.com/lightroomjourn...

As I mentioned earlier in this thread, the public RC of Lightroom 4.3 is now available on labs. The bug is fixed in Lightroom 4.3. I know not everyone is willing to install a pre-production version of software, so I understand if that is the case for you. Just trying to present you with all your options so you can make the choice that suits you best.

Regarding the PDF saving issue, please post back if it still happens for you in Lightroom 4.2 (or 4.3, if you choose to go that route).

Becky

Votes

Translate

Translate

LEGEND ,
Nov 26, 2012 Nov 26, 2012

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

HELP! I'm 65 pages into a book and none of the pictures are showing up in their cells. Formatting , text is all there. No images. My LR4 is up to date and I'm not using multiple texts, or text color. What should I do?

Votes

Translate

Translate

LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

What version are you running?

Votes

Translate

Translate

LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Votes

Translate

Translate

LEGEND ,
Nov 27, 2012 Nov 27, 2012

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Can you recall what exactly were you doing when the photos have disappeared (like typing text, formatting text, switching modules etc.)?

Did you receive any warning/error messages?

Votes

Translate

Translate

LEGEND ,
Dec 02, 2012 Dec 02, 2012

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hey,

it also just happened to me. Photo book module does not show any image in the book, I was working on. Thumbnils in the strip are shown. I was changing the color of the title before (the only text so far), but cannot tell, if this caused the issue. I switched definitely between modules in between. I did not get any warning or message. I am on Lightroom 4.2.
I tried to duplicate the book, export it ... nothing.
Would upgrading to 4.3 solve this problem?

Hope you can help me...
Thanks! Ben

Votes

Translate

Translate

Adobe Employee ,
Dec 02, 2012 Dec 02, 2012

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Ben,

This bug is fixed in Lightroom 4.3. Upgrading may not recover your book, but will prevent you from losing books in the future.

Becky

Votes

Translate

Translate

Engaged ,
Dec 04, 2012 Dec 04, 2012

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

It is still a Release Candidate - hopefully will go prime time soon

Votes

Translate

Translate

LEGEND ,
Dec 24, 2012 Dec 24, 2012

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Becky and Jeffrey,

I regret to tell you that the issue is NOT fixed in Lightroom 4.3 -- or, perhaps, that a new but similar bug has popped up.

I've just lost my book in LR 4.3. I've posted about my experience elsewhere, but I think this is where I should be posting so I will repeat it here. (Also, incidentally, I called Adobe tech support about the issue today, and they were incredibly uninformed. You might want to look into that, too.)

I've been working on a Blurb book in Lightroom, initially 4.2 and 4.3 since the weekend (Win 32). I have never (knowingly) used mixed-color text in a single box, so it doesn't seem to be the same trigger.

I'd saved the book at the very beginning as a Book Collection. That collection contained the layout and picture/page captions, along with about 150 pictures. I'd been starting and stopping LR several times a day and never had trouble finding my book, either waiting for me in the Book Module or by clicking the "Go To Book" arrow next to the Book Collection.

Today I wanted to add some other pictures to the book that weren't already in the Book Collection. I went back to the Library and dragged several dozen other pictures into the Book Collection. Then I thought, why not, let me drag all my 2500+ pictures into the Book Collection so I can have easy access to the lot while working on the book. When I clicked back on the Book Collection, though, all I saw in the Book Module main panel were a blank cover and two blank pages. But -- strange -- the pictures that I know were already placed into the book layout still showed the "1" label in the filmstrip, indicating that they were in the book layout somewhere. I just couldn't see any of that layout. Control Z didn't help. Restarting LR didn't make a difference, as it was said to with the earlier bug.

None of this is reproducible, though. I tried making a brand-new Book Collection and retracing the steps I mentioned above, but that book didn't disappear. So I don't think those steps were the cause of the disappearance, but I wanted to paint a picture for you of what was happening before the book disappeared. (I'd paint a picture of what happened AFTER the book disappeared, but it's ugly and involves words that would get me in trouble if I repeated here.)

I'm attaching a screenshot of what I see now when I open my Book Collection. Note the empty layout (blue circle) and the filmstrip shields showing plenty of pictures that are supposed to be in the layout (red circle).

As an aside, the workflow for creating and saving books is unintuitive, besides being fatally buggy. I should be able to save my book layout as a preset or as a layout "recipe," unrelated to the collection of photos that happen to be associated with the book. Maybe allow me to make a layout and it creates a smart collection containing all pictures that are currently in the book, but giving me access to the entire library (or to any other collection) for adding pictures to the book from. When I add or remove pictures from the book, that should be reflected in the collection automatically. But -- key -- I should still be able to see my whole library or any collection while working on the book. In other words, just as LR separates the concepts of photo negatives from photo developing recipes, you should also separate the concepts of book layout from book contents.

Votes

Translate

Translate

LEGEND ,
Nov 01, 2014 Nov 01, 2014

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST
There is still a glitch somewhere that causes the loss of book work, now in LR 5.6 (Mac with OS 10.9.5)
I can only generally retrace the steps but will try to at least lay out a few details.
Working on a saved book of 180 images I switched unintentionally over to another collection for another book project which had all its assets off-line. I clicked on one of the pages to see if the preview would open up. It did not. I then went back to my active book project of 180 pages and the pages were there, page numbers were there but no images. Looking at the cover it turned out that the image was gone, the title was gone and instead I had the title for the off-line book. Sound like a magic trick? I tried backstepping in my work flow but to no avail. Because I work fast and have until now felt that LR had my back I never rule out making the stupid mistake unknowingly but I don't think this is the case here. No warnings of any kind appeared. Fortunately, I periodically upload my work to Blurb to see how it will look at a book so at least I can rebuild a good part of the sequence. I have still lost many hours of work but worse, confidence in this software.

Votes

Translate

Translate