Welcome Dialog

Welcome to the Community!

We have a brand new look! Take a tour with us and explore the latest updates on Adobe Support Community.

Lightroom 4 - GPS coordinates not saved in EXIF when Exporting JPEGs from JPEGs & RAW files

2 Votes
LEGEND ,
Mar 20, 2012 Mar 20, 2012

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have updated GPS coordinates using the new Map module but these are not output with the EXIF when I export JPEGs from originals of JPEGs & RAW files.
I have ensured that Remove Location Info is unchecked
regards JWW001
Bug Fixed
TOPICS
Desktop

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Adobe Employee , Oct 03, 2012 Oct 03, 2012
This problem has been fixed in Lightroom 4.2. Thanks, Ben

Votes

Translate

Translate
7 Comments
Adobe Employee ,
Mar 23, 2012 Mar 23, 2012

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi John,

I am not able to reproduce this problem. There are a couple reasons why GPS coordinates might intentionally be excluded from EXIF on export. One is the "remove location info" checkbox that you mention. Another possibility is that the photo falls within the bounds of a Saved Location that you have marked as private.

Assuming that neither of those are the case, then I would need some more info.
1. What operating system are you using?
2. What specific series of steps are you going through. Make these steps as detailed as possible, but at a minimum, include:
a. How are you assigning coordinate metadata to the photos (placed there by camera, drag and drop onto map, sync with track log, etc.)?
b. What export settings are you using?
3. How are you verifying that the metadata of the exported JPEGs do not contain the the GPS coordinates?

Thanks,
Ben

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
People's Champ ,
Mar 23, 2012 Mar 23, 2012

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Ben,

I was able to reproduce the problem as follows:

0) Export-Settings:
- JPEG
- Metadata ALL
- Do not remove location info

1) Add GPS Exif Info to images (JPEG / CR2)

2) Import images into LR4

3) Change GPS data on imported images (either by moving their marker on the map or altering the GPS field manually)

4) Export images to JPEG

Result:
Exported JPEG images still contain the Exif GPS data which they carried at import time.

Please note that this problem only seems to occur if the images carried Exif GPS data at import time already.

Exported JPEGs examined using ExifTool, IrfanView and re-import into LR.

Beat

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,
Mar 24, 2012 Mar 24, 2012

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Ben

My photos are taken with the Sony A55 and Sony HX5V both of which geotag photos. Unfortunately if I take a photo before the cameras have achieved a satellite lock the resultant photo contains the coordinates of the previous location. This is why I would like to use LR4 to amend the coordinates in the new map module. The original photos are in both JPEG and Sony ARW formats and I export all as JPEG. I do not want to change the original photos.

As in my previous post I have discovered that although I have amended the coordinates in the LR4 Map module these amended coordinates are not written to the EXIF information on the exported JPEGS. The original incorrect coordinates are unchanged on the exported JPGs.

To answer your questions I do not have private saved locations. When I select ‘remove location info’ then the exported photos have the coordinates removed correctly

1) Windows 7
2) The original coordinates have been inserted by the cameras. I have tried ‘sync with track log’ and also manual amending the coordinates on the map module both with the same result.
3) See my post in the Adobe forums for the export info
http://forums.adobe.com/message/42756...
4) Coordinates are verified in Windows Explorer and Microsoft Pro Photo Tools and other apps.

Please let me know if you require any further information
Thanks
John

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,
Apr 04, 2012 Apr 04, 2012

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Beat and John,

Thanks for the additional info. I have been able to confirm that if a photo already has coordinates at the time of import, and the coordinates are changed within Lightroom, and the photo is then exported, the exported photo contains the original coordinates, not the coordinates as edited in Lightroom. I have entered this issue in our bug database.

Thanks,
Ben

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,
Apr 04, 2012 Apr 04, 2012

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Ben

I'm glad that you have been able to reproduce the problem.

I look forward to the release of a fix so that I can use the new Map module to its full potential as it will greatly speed up my geotagging workflow.

Thanks
John

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,
Jun 06, 2012 Jun 06, 2012

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Just like to add I also have this problem and it bugs the heck out of me. I adjusted hundreds of picture locations then had the corrected locations wiped upon export, reseting them to the original coordinates. Unbelievably not fix in 4.1 either?!
Maps was billed to be the best addition to lightroom in the 4.0 release and i'm underwhelmed.
Please fix soon.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,
Oct 03, 2012 Oct 03, 2012

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST
This problem has been fixed in Lightroom 4.2.

Thanks,
Ben

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines