Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

P: Adjustment brush Auto Mask broken for 32bit TIFF image

LEGEND ,
Oct 31, 2012 Oct 31, 2012

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hello,

I am using Lightroom 4.2 (updated today) on Windows 7 64bit. I have an issue using the adjustment brush with the option "Auto Mask" within a 32 bit TIFF file: the Auto Mask magic there does not work.

I've created 32 bit TIFF files using the "merge to HDR Pro in Photoshop" workflow, where the resulting TIFF is automatically added back to Lightroom. There, I edit the TIFF just in the same way as I edit any other picture in Lightroom. Some of my TIFF files have very clear edges with high contrast. Example:

I assume you agree with me that the adjustment brush Auto Mask must be able to detect this particular edge between the blue sky and the almost black wall of a building. However, when I use the adjustment brush on this edge (no feather, 100 density and flow, show selected mask overlay in green), it does not detect the transition:

When I do the same in one of the RAW pictures that contributed to the TIFF above, Auto Mask works as expected:

I tried this with various edges in various TIFF and RAW files. In the RAW files, basically all edges are detected, while the Auto Mask feature entirely fails in my TIFFs. I've first observed this in Lightroom 4.1. Then I updated to 4.2 which did not change the behavior.

Is there something I can do wrong? Note that in this tutorial: http://tv.adobe.com/watch/the-complet... Julieanne Kost is doing exactly this: first she merges a set of pictures to a HDR TIFF and then she uses the adjustment brush with Auto Mask in the resulting TIFF. In the video it looks like the edge detection works properly for her.

Any suggestion is welcome. Thanks!

Bug Investigating
TOPICS
macOS , Windows

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
12 Comments
LEGEND ,
Nov 01, 2012 Nov 01, 2012

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Cannot reproduce in 4.2 Win7 64.
Automask works on a 32-bit TIFF here.

Votes

Translate

Translate

LEGEND ,
Nov 02, 2012 Nov 02, 2012

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

On the one hand this is good to hear. On the other hand, I tried it again and still was not able to get it working. What could I possibly do wrong? I am quite new to Lightroom, so it could be that I'm doing something very stupid. However, as already mentioned, for normal raw files I am able to use the Auto Mask feature.

Maybe the TIFF files I am working on are very special in a certain regard (shouldn't be, I created them with Photoshop CS 5 in the 'normal' HDR Pro merge workflow).

Does it make sense to upload the data I am working on for someone else to try?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Adobe Employee ,
Nov 02, 2012 Nov 02, 2012

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Could you post the image you're having trouble with? (Dropbox, etc) Might be specific to the file or give us other clues.

Votes

Translate

Translate

LEGEND ,
Nov 04, 2012 Nov 04, 2012

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Here you can find one of my TIFF files with which I have the described problem:

http://gehrcke.de/files/perm/tiffissu...

It's a 180 MB zip file which contains a TIFF file of 204 MB. I know this is crazy, but I did not want to introduce another uncertainty by modifying the file and I trust in your internet connections. If requested, I can try to create a smaller test case.

Votes

Translate

Translate

LEGEND ,
Nov 04, 2012 Nov 04, 2012

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I can now reproduce with your file.

Votes

Translate

Translate

LEGEND ,
Nov 05, 2012 Nov 05, 2012

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Okay -- how do we proceed now?

Votes

Translate

Translate

LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I've reported the bug. Sit and wait, perhaps? 🙂

Votes

Translate

Translate

LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Please keep the file available at the address you posted.

Votes

Translate

Translate

LEGEND ,
Nov 06, 2012 Nov 06, 2012

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Of course. Is the bug report and its progress available to the public?

Votes

Translate

Translate

LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

No.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Adobe Employee ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This topic is the public record and would be updated if/when a fix is available.

Votes

Translate

Translate

LEGEND ,
Nov 25, 2013 Nov 25, 2013

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST
I have this same problem using LR 5.2 x64 and Photoshop CC (14.1.2 x64) on Win7.

Votes

Translate

Translate