Welcome Dialog

Welcome to the Community!

We have a brand new look! Take a tour with us and explore the latest updates on Adobe Support Community.

Lightroom: Adjustment Brush: Why is mouse wheel direction reversed for feather?

2 Votes
Enthusiast ,
Jul 25, 2011 Jul 25, 2011

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The size of the adjustment brush can be controlled using the mouse wheel: Rolling it away from me increases the size, rolling it towards me reduces the size (same as in spot removal).

When the mouse wheel is used while holding the shift key, it adjusts the feather. However, it does so in the opposite direction: Away from me decreases the feather, towards me increases it.

IMHO this is completely counterintuitive and confusing. Was this intented (if yes, why?) or is it a bug?

I use LR 3.4.1 on Win XP 32Bit SP3, no special mouse driver and a Logitech MX400 mouse.
Bug Fixed
TOPICS
Desktop

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

LEGEND , Aug 23, 2011 Aug 23, 2011
This issue has apparently been fixed in LR 3.5 RC. This will suit me a lot. Thanks team!

Votes

Translate

Translate
5 Comments
Mentor ,
Jul 25, 2011 Jul 25, 2011

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Heh...that's pretty silly! Never noticed that but I can confirm it here on Win7-64 bit.

If that was intentional, I don't follow the thinking. I'd call it a bug.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
LEGEND ,
Jul 26, 2011 Jul 26, 2011

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This has bugged me as well. I've somewhat accustomed myself to the counterintuitive reversal of direction but I agree that it doesn't make sense (for mouse users, maybe it's different for tablets).

It will be difficult to just change the behaviour as many will have trained themselves to do the right thing, but I'd support a feature request that asks for an additional preference option that controls in what direction the scroll wheel has to be turned when adjusting the feather.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Enthusiast ,
Jul 27, 2011 Jul 27, 2011

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Appears to be normal in Mac OS. Sounds like a Windows-only bug

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,
Jul 27, 2011 Jul 27, 2011

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Not intentional. I've entered the issue in our bug database. (And yes, the bug is Windows-only.)

Thanks,
Ben

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,
Aug 23, 2011 Aug 23, 2011

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST
This issue has apparently been fixed in LR 3.5 RC.

This will suit me a lot. Thanks team!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines