• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

P: always case sensitive for extended characters: øæå ÆØÅ

LEGEND ,
Oct 13, 2011 Oct 13, 2011

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I am teaching Lightroom in my local Photoclub, and we discovered something we think is a bug.

Lightroom is case sensitive for a-Z, but in Norway we have 3 more letters. æøå og ÆØÅ. And these letters are treated as special characters.

When I try to search for keyword, I have to search with correct case.

This is very annoying. It will be the same for Danish users.

Best regards,
Tom Jarane

Bug Investigating
TOPICS
macOS , Windows

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
10 Comments
Adobe Employee ,
Oct 13, 2011 Oct 13, 2011

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks for reporting this. I have logged a bug about it.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Explorer ,
Mar 29, 2012 Mar 29, 2012

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I would suggest that a lot more than 2 people have problems in the way LR handles letters carrying accents. In French it so happens that capital letters don't usually carry accents and adding an accent to an A, E, I and U isn't particularly easy, so people don't usually bother. However the way that LR handles accents and localisation specificities such as these Norwegian characters indicates that Adobe hasn't put as much thought into this matter as, I think, it should.

Votes

Translate

Translate

LEGEND ,
Apr 06, 2012 Apr 06, 2012

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Votes

Translate

Translate

LEGEND ,
Feb 03, 2013 Feb 03, 2013

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This bug also affects Lithuanian users.
Rytis Umbrasas
Lithuania

Votes

Translate

Translate

Explorer ,
Oct 04, 2013 Oct 04, 2013

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I am pretty sure that this bug affects most of non-english speakers who uses own native language for keywording with upper case letter for proper nouns.

As a programmer, I can only guess that there's something wrong with routines that Lightroom uses for comparing words. Obviously only (ancient) 7 bit US-ASCII character set is taken account in incase sensitive comparison and all other characters are treated like a different characters.

I don't know why only few bug reports exists. Perhaps most users doesn't realize what really is wrong and just tries to live with a bug when it troubles.
(for making searches work, one can always add lower case version of keyword to synonyms).
However, this doesn't help with keyword list's filtration.

This bug should be relative easy to fix... For those who uses language that is written in some form of latin alphabets.

Votes

Translate

Translate

LEGEND ,
Oct 04, 2013 Oct 04, 2013

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

"there's something wrong with routines that Lightroom uses for comparing words"

Indeed. The LR plugin SDK's function LrStringUtils.lower() is to supposed to return the lower-case version of a string, but it does so only for ASCII letters. E.g. LrStringUtils.lower ("Б") returns "Б", not "б".

Votes

Translate

Translate

LEGEND ,
Sep 03, 2017 Sep 03, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Part of this problem has been fixed.  The Lua function LrStringUtils.lower ("Б") now correctly returns "б".

However, searching still doesn't properly ignore case.  E.g. doing "Any Searchable Field Contains б" doesn't match a photo containing "Б" in its caption field.

Tested in CC 2015.12 / OS X 10.12.6.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Explorer ,
Oct 29, 2017 Oct 29, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

So 6 years on we have Lightroom Classic CC and Lightroom CC and we still don't have a fix to this problem ! Admittedly implementing a solution is unlikely to allow Adobe to sell more subscriptions but, at a time when people are asking themselves whether sticking with LR is a good idea, a little bit of "bonne volonté" (goodwill) would not be amiss. Surely there's a trainee somewhere who could prove his worth by implementing the correction.

Votes

Translate

Translate

LEGEND ,
Oct 29, 2017 Oct 29, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

At this point, I think it's very unlikely Adobe will fix these long-standing bugs and issues in Library.  Victoria Bampton (Lightroom Queen), who is very plugged-in to Adobe, wrote, "Future development of Lightroom Classic is being refocused on improving performance and enhancing the editing tools."  So whatever "focus" there was previously on Library, it is diminished going forward.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Explorer ,
Oct 30, 2017 Oct 30, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST
Very true !

Votes

Translate

Translate