• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

P: Can not exit/switch Full Screen Preview (F Key) mode (LR Mac)

Community Beginner ,
Apr 08, 2014 Apr 08, 2014

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The only way to revert to Normal screen mode is to quit LR.

Bug Fixed
TOPICS
macOS , Windows

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

LEGEND , Aug 01, 2015 Aug 01, 2015
At least one cause of this bug has been fixed in LR 6.1.1 / CC 2015.1.1: http://feedback.photoshop.com/photosh...

Votes

Translate

Translate
73 Comments
LEGEND ,
Apr 15, 2014 Apr 15, 2014

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Do we know how long until they fix this? I use this feature so often and am beyond irritated.

Votes

Translate

Translate

New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Because there is no Bug-Track-System, I'm not quite sure if Adobe knows or cares about this problem. I don't think so.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Bingo Shawn, I can reproduce that! Great job!

Henry, there is an internal bug track system, you just can't see it. 🙂 The engineers watch these public bug track forums, although often without commenting, and a number of others can also add things to the internal bug tracking once it can be reproduced.

The value of having this public forum has been highlighted in this thread - the extra bit of information about quitting while in full screen mode is crucial to reproducing the problem and therefore being able to find and fix it.

Votes

Translate

Translate

New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

*Thumbs Up*

:-)

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community Beginner ,
Apr 16, 2014 Apr 16, 2014

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Victoria and others,

Tom Buckley's response above is a workaround that gets you out of the F-Key loop.

Quit LR and press SHIFT+F after re-opening LR.

Votes

Translate

Translate

LEGEND ,
Apr 16, 2014 Apr 16, 2014

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi,

I'm using the most current version of Lightroom 5 (for Creative Cloud subscribers) and it seems I have problems with it.

Once I go to Full size preview mode of an image, I can't go back it always stays on Full size preview, to fix it I have to "Force Quit" Lightroom, and it happens everytime I try to preview my images in Full size. I tried to reinstall the Lightroom and it didn't help. It worked properly before, not sure why the problem exists now, new update or what is the reason...

I'm also using Dreamweaver and I can't use FIND AND REPLACE tool there cause it's crashes everytime. 2 out of 3 apps I use from Adobe, are simply not working and have no idea what I can do to fix the problem.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Explorer ,
Apr 17, 2014 Apr 17, 2014

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I too am having an issue with LR 5.4 on a macBook Pro not letting me get out of full screen mode. Very annoying. It occurs in my library and develop modules. Is there a fix in the works?

Votes

Translate

Translate

LEGEND ,
Apr 18, 2014 Apr 18, 2014

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'm also having the same problem. I'm a CC user with the latest version of LR. Once I hit the 'F' button the only way out is to quit. The full screen view is therefore rendered useless.
It seems that there's enough people here with a LR only issue

Votes

Translate

Translate

New Here ,
Apr 19, 2014 Apr 19, 2014

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

When I access full screen in Lightroom I am unable to get back to loupe or grid view. When I hit "g" for grid it flashes to grid and returns to full screen. My only option is to quit the program and then hit escape. If I only quit the program the photo I was viewing in full screen is still visible making it appear as if the program is still running. Once I hit escape I am at Desktop.

Votes

Translate

Translate

New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I've been using LR 5.4 (and prior versions) for some time now and have recently developed a problem with full-screen mode. If I hit the F-key to go to full-screen, it works properly, but when I hit F again (or G,E, or D) to return to the prior view, my screen goes to that prior view only momentarily, then snaps back into full-screen without my commanding it. The only way I can get out of full-screen is to quit the program and then re-open it. I've tried re-booting the computer, with no resolution. I haven't made any other changes to the system recently - other than the upgrade to 5.4 with LR Mobile. I'm using a 2-year old MacBook Pro running OX 10.9.2. Any suggestions?

Votes

Translate

Translate

New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I, too, was stuck in the full screen mode. I tried this and it worked!!! I no longer get stuck!!! Thank you!

Votes

Translate

Translate

New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I tried Tom Buckley's response and was able to free myself!

Votes

Translate

Translate

New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I was having the same problem. It seems that maybe LR was quit while in the full screen mode.

I tried someone else's suggestion and it worked. Hope it helps you!

Votes

Translate

Translate

LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

That works. Thanks

Votes

Translate

Translate

New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

You're welcome!

Votes

Translate

Translate

LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I had the "cannot exit full screen" problem as well. MBP 2.7 GHz, i7. 16 GB, 10.9.2. Installed LR 5.4. Problem started.

Reading Henry's solution, I adapted it to my situation:
- removed LR
- restated
- removed com.adobe.Lightroom5.plist
- restarted
- installed LR 5.4
- recreated user
- imported catalog

I hope I remember to not quit when in full screen mode.

Walk well.

Votes

Translate

Translate

New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

It worked for me till today. I did not quit LR in Fullscreen Mode till today.
(Was mentioned above.)

Votes

Translate

Translate

LEGEND ,
Apr 21, 2014 Apr 21, 2014

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

when i request full screen with key F screen not return to normal view, there remains blocked in full screen.
Lightroom 5,4 Mac OS X 10,9,2

Votes

Translate

Translate

LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Quit LR and press SHIFT+F after re-opening LR. --- OK thanks

Votes

Translate

Translate

LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Brilliant! I just searched the web this evening for a solution and this worked for me too. Thanks!

Votes

Translate

Translate

LEGEND ,
May 01, 2014 May 01, 2014

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Started happening here. LR hung, so I force quit it. Now it keeps bouncing back into F mode even after I hit escape. I'm on Lightroom 5,4 Mac OS X 10,9,2.

Ugh.

Votes

Translate

Translate

LEGEND ,
May 09, 2014 May 09, 2014

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

On Mac my workaround is to use the Speakable Items feature in Accessibility preferences, in System Preferences, to create a Speech Command.

The command I created uses the Listening Word "Computer" before each command.
In the Commands tab, I enabled (checked) only Application Specific Items, and Menu Bar. This makes speech commands only respond when you're in LR.

So, to exit Full Screen Mode, I say: "Computer, Window Menu, Computer, Screen Mode, Computer, Normal."

For specific help, highlight Speakable Items in the Accessibility control panel, click Commands, then click the "?" to bring up the Help Center. If this is your first time setting up speech commands, it will take a few trial-and-error cycles until you get it right. One tip: remember to make LR the active application when speaking the command. It's easy to leave the System Preferences panel active when you're working with the Accessibility settings, so don't forget to switch back to LR to give the command.

HTH

If anyone knows where to report LR bugs, please submit this workaround there.

UPDATE!!! After I set up the speech command and used it a few times, just for fun, I tried tapping Escape to exit Full Screen and IT WORKED! I tried it a few more times successfully. Then I disabled Speech Commands and went into full screen and exited with Escape. Apparently executing the command by speech fixed something. I quit LR and restarted, and Escape still exits full screen. I haven't tried restarting the Mac to see if the fix persists.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Participant ,
May 11, 2014 May 11, 2014

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Same problem - started happening tonight. Doesn't matter which mode it's in. If you go to Full Screen - F key - it won't exit it. This is on an iMac, 10.9.2 LR5.4 latest version.

Press F - goes to full screen. Press escape, G, E, D, F - it returns to normal, but then bounces immediately back to Full Screen.

Really annoying. Haven't found a way around it yet - and am just about to attempt any fixes suggested above.
Hampshire Wedding Photographer / Documentary Wedding Photographer

Votes

Translate

Translate

Participant ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Deleting Cache - no effect
Deleting Prefs Files - seems to have cured it for now
Hampshire Wedding Photographer / Documentary Wedding Photographer

Votes

Translate

Translate

Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This is a problem Adobe is aware of and hopefully will have a fix for in their next update. Not sure there is anything you can do besides not use full screen mode until the next update is released.

Votes

Translate

Translate