• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

P: Develop module doesn't detect external changes to original file

Explorer ,
Aug 19, 2015 Aug 19, 2015

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

When i choose "edit original" in Photoshop then the LR develop module doesn't reload the image after i saved the tif in Photoshop. But the library module DOES refresh. So i end up with different previews in library and develop. Only solution is to restart LR. After the restart i can see the current preview in develop module too.

Steps to reproduce:
- Open your raw file (i use dng) in LR.
- Choose "edit in Adope Photoshop". Make some changes and save. Lightroom will automatically import the created tif file. Switch to develop module in LR
- Now make another change in PS and save.
- LR should detect that change to the tif file and refresh the preview. Maybe you need to switch to the next image and back to have LR refresh the image. But it should work.
- Now close LR and PS.
- Start LR again.
- Select the tif file again, switch to develop module and choose "edit original" in Photoshop.
- Make changes in PS and save.
- LR will not refresh the preview in the develop module! But it will refresh the library module. You will now see different versions of your file in develop and library until you restart LR.

tested with Lightroom: CC 2015.1.1 and PS CC 2015.0.1 on Windows on two different machines.

This is a real pain for me since i often switch between PS and LR!

This worked flawlessly before LR CC.

Bug Fixed
TOPICS
Windows

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Adobe Employee , Nov 17, 2015 Nov 17, 2015
This issue should be corrected by the Lightroom CC 2015.3/6.3 which is available today.

Details here: http://blogs.adobe.com/lightroomjourn...

Votes

Translate

Translate
53 Comments
LEGEND ,
Sep 17, 2015 Sep 17, 2015

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Same problem. For me the edited version flashes on the Develop module before going back to the unedited version. I can see the edited version on the Library module. This is super annoying because if I take the time to go into Photoshop I actually want to *see* my changes in Lightroom.

Lightroom version: CC 2015.1.1 [ 1032027 ]
Adobe Photoshop Version: 2015.0.1 20150722.r.168 2015/07/22:23:59:59 CL 1032107 x64

Votes

Translate

Translate

Adobe Employee ,
Sep 18, 2015 Sep 18, 2015

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Are you both running Windows or Macs here?
Rikk Flohr - Customer Advocacy: Adobe Photography Products

Votes

Translate

Translate

Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Ihave the same problem on Windows 7. This is extremely annoying Adobe, do something and fast. This causes enorumous amonts of wasted time for a whole lot of you customers. Adobe ought to issue subscription discounts for bugs like this. Thanks Steen Knarberg

Votes

Translate

Translate

LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks so much for the quick reply Rikk. I am running Windows 7.

Votes

Translate

Translate

LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I feel like this bug was introduced recently because I don't recall the problem before.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Adobe Employee ,
Sep 20, 2015 Sep 20, 2015

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

A question for you all.

If you invoke Edit in PS from Library Grid View, does the file update?
If you invoke Edit in PS from Develop module, does it fail?
Rikk Flohr - Customer Advocacy: Adobe Photography Products

Votes

Translate

Translate

Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

It doesn't matter from where I invoke. But what matters is how the file is created. If I create the psd with "edit in photoshop" everything is OK. But if the file, both psd and Tif, are created with export and at the same time added to the catalogue it fails.

But Adobe, I have spent countless hours on this and now acting as your bug investigation unit, but unpaid. Adobe has to compensate us for this economicly! How much do we have to put up with. I would expect Adobe to have its own staff of testers and investigators to make sure that what customers pay for are fully working software. This approach is not acceptable!

Thanks, Steen Knarberg

Votes

Translate

Translate

LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

That's a little harsh. It's hard to replicate a problem and you can't fix it until you can replicate it. I worked in QA/QC for software for a couple years and he's actually trying to fix the problem so I really appreciate it.

In playing around with it quickly, it may be the fact that the image has a rating. For instance I create the PSD file in Develop mode using "Edit in Photoshop" and it's all good whenever I edit it - I can see all the changes in Develop. But once I assign it a rating of 4, it stops showing me the Photoshop edits. I don't know if that's the problem but that's what I came up with on this end.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I totally disagree with you Amy, we ate paying a fairly high amount for the use of Adobe's software, so it has to work. After all this is not beta software or free "use as is" And this is not a minor bug, this is essential key functionality. The tests I did last evening didn't involve rating, so this had no effects on my reproduction of the fault, which was easy to do. So either Adobe makes sure they can reproduce the fault in their lab with the number of PC's needed or they pay their customers to do the work for them and report back to them. The problem is not going away by it self.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Explorer ,
Sep 26, 2015 Sep 26, 2015

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

like mentioned in the original post i'm on windows and tested this on different machines. Also i've seen this on Windows 8 and 10.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This bug was introduced with the june updates.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

it's more complicated. If i startup LR in library module mode and invoke "edit in PS" then the preview updates after edits in photoshop. If i then switch to develop module and save another change in PS the LR preview does NOT update in the develop module but DOES update in the library modul. So i have two different views on my file then. To solve this the only solution is to close and restart LR.

The bug only affects the develop module. The library view always updates.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Explorer ,
Oct 08, 2015 Oct 08, 2015

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I updated to 2015.2 and this bug is still not fixed...

this is a really annoying issue! I do this all the time and having to restart LR all the time just to refresh the preview really sucks!

Why isn't there a real issue tracker? Do Adobe devs even read here???

Votes

Translate

Translate

Explorer ,
Oct 09, 2015 Oct 09, 2015

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I hope Rikk Flohr reads this and what a disapointment it wasn't fixed. What are they doing at Adobe?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

removing all useful import options i guess 😞

Votes

Translate

Translate

LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Similar symptoms started happening to me using Export to invoke a Photoshop droplet on TIFFs and add the result to the catalog (which is what some third-party plugins do too). Both Library grid view and Develop initially show the unedited image.

A workaround for me is to open the suspect image in Develop, use the right-arrow to move to the next image, then left-arrow to come back. Usually the image updates after a second or two.

Details:

I'm on LR CC 2015.1.1 / OS X 10.10.5. I invoke an export preset on a TIFF with these settings:

- Export To: Same folder as original photo, Add To This Catalog, Add To Stack: Above Original
- Rename To: Custom Settings
- Image Format: TIFF, Compression: ZIP, Color Space: ProPhoto RGB, Bit Depth: 16.
- Include: All Metadata, Write Keywords As Lightroom Hierarchy
- After Export: Open In Other Application, a Photoshop droplet that applies an action and saves the file.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Adobe Employee ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Our QE have a repro case and the engineering team is investigating this issue. Thanks.

Votes

Translate

Translate

LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Excellent, thanks for the update.

Votes

Translate

Translate

LEGEND ,
Oct 13, 2015 Oct 13, 2015

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I edit a photo using external editor (DxO Filmpack 4). The edited photo is now in Lightroom but in development mode LR shows unedited (original) version. If I save between the original and edited version, they look the same. In full screen version the edited photo can be seen sometimes but sometimes is is the original. The edited version quickly flash but the the original is seen. In catalog view (G) one an see the edited version. I couldn't find any logic in this.

If I quit LR and come back the it works as it should.

Votes

Translate

Translate

LEGEND ,
Oct 13, 2015 Oct 13, 2015

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Jao vdL reports this has been fixed in LR CC 2015.2.1 / 6.2.1: https://forums.adobe.com/message/8063.... Before you update, however, be wary that many people are still reporting serious issues with that version.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Explorer ,
Oct 14, 2015 Oct 14, 2015

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

@John R. Ellis: It's NOT fixed in LR CC 2015.2.1!

I just double checked and it's still there.

Votes

Translate

Translate

LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

It's fixed for Jao but not for you. That's most unfortunate.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I updated the other thread too. Maybe he just wasn't aware that the problem doesn't occur on the first "edit in PS" but only in combination with "edit original file" on subsequent edits...

Votes

Translate

Translate

Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Great to hear that! This bugs me since june 😞

Votes

Translate

Translate

Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

just for the records:

i have this problem on two windows machines. One workstation with windows 10 and a Dell XPS 15 laptop with windows 10. Both have gone through various lightroom updates in the past.

I don't see this bug on a Macbook Pro from late 2012 which has got a fresh Lightroom install some weeks ago.

All LR installs have been updated to the latest version.

Votes

Translate

Translate