• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

P: Develop module doesn't detect external changes to original file

Explorer ,
Aug 19, 2015 Aug 19, 2015

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

When i choose "edit original" in Photoshop then the LR develop module doesn't reload the image after i saved the tif in Photoshop. But the library module DOES refresh. So i end up with different previews in library and develop. Only solution is to restart LR. After the restart i can see the current preview in develop module too.

Steps to reproduce:
- Open your raw file (i use dng) in LR.
- Choose "edit in Adope Photoshop". Make some changes and save. Lightroom will automatically import the created tif file. Switch to develop module in LR
- Now make another change in PS and save.
- LR should detect that change to the tif file and refresh the preview. Maybe you need to switch to the next image and back to have LR refresh the image. But it should work.
- Now close LR and PS.
- Start LR again.
- Select the tif file again, switch to develop module and choose "edit original" in Photoshop.
- Make changes in PS and save.
- LR will not refresh the preview in the develop module! But it will refresh the library module. You will now see different versions of your file in develop and library until you restart LR.

tested with Lightroom: CC 2015.1.1 and PS CC 2015.0.1 on Windows on two different machines.

This is a real pain for me since i often switch between PS and LR!

This worked flawlessly before LR CC.

Bug Fixed
TOPICS
Windows

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Adobe Employee , Nov 17, 2015 Nov 17, 2015
This issue should be corrected by the Lightroom CC 2015.3/6.3 which is available today.

Details here: http://blogs.adobe.com/lightroomjourn...

Votes

Translate

Translate
53 Comments
Explorer ,
Oct 14, 2015 Oct 14, 2015

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

and another update...

some users reported that there is a workaround like this: when the develop preview doesn't update then use the right arrow to switch to the next image and then back to your image. Unfortunately this doesn't work for me.

BUT: if i switch to let's say the 5th image right of my image and use the left arrow key 5 times to get back to my image then the preview updates. So instead of closing and re-opening LR just switch between images until LR "thinks" it needs to update the preview...

Votes

Translate

Translate

LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I've noticed that if I open the image in Develop, I may have to wait 10 to 15 seconds sometimes for the updated image to appear. But it nearly always does if I just wait. (There's no "Loading" indicator or other indication it's computing.)

I think what might be going on in your case and in mine is that when you first display an image, LR kicks off a background thread to update the image, and you just have to wait for that to complete. Using the arrow keys to move to another image(s) and back isn't really affecting the outcome -- it's just something that we've been doing while waiting for the updated image to appear.

Votes

Translate

Translate

LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Bridge has a similar problem of not showing changes to a file (in my case, replacing a JPEG with another created by Save for Web from a PSD) until the cache updates. I suspect that caching issues might be to blame. Unfortunately there is not a way in LR to delete a file's cache like there is in Bridge.

Votes

Translate

Translate

LEGEND ,
Oct 16, 2015 Oct 16, 2015

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Dear all
I have a proplem: lately the develop module in LR CC does not show the refreshed edits I have done in PS CC. If I switch to the library, it refreshes and I see the edits done in PS, if I switch back to the develop module I see only the old version of the file. This is very unnerving, as I cannot add edits in LR if I do not see the newest version of the image. Files coming back from PS are .tif 16 bit

I work with Windows 7 professional 64bit, LR and PS CC, newest versions, I have 24 GB RAM

Do you have an idea how I can solve this problem? If I close LR and reopen it, the newest image is shown in the develop module. But I really don't want to use that "workaround" all the time. It also is not a constant thing, sometimes LR refreshes the image in the develop module, but every so often, and very often, it doesn't.

below is one image of today. The library module shows the edits around the eyes, the develop module shows the old version with the bags around the eyes.

Many thanks and best regards
Gabriella

Votes

Translate

Translate

Engaged ,
Oct 27, 2015 Oct 27, 2015

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This issue of saving in PS and not seeing the changes in LR has always existed at some level for me - it's one of those hundred things that for some reason, never get totally fixed in Lightroom. But it was relatively rare and at least, you could always force it to update by pressing left/right keys or switching between modules.

But since LR CC, far for being fixed for good, this issue has got critically worse - updating fails most of the time in the develop module and worse still, now there seems to be no workaround other than closing/restarting LR. Extremely annoying for anyone using the LR-PS-LR workflow. It's true that sometimes, if you wait, the image updates after some seconds. But for me, many times it won't update even after waiting for 1 minute (maybe it eventually updates but it takes extremely long).

I'm using LR 2015.2.1 on Windows 8.1. Please, fix this...

Votes

Translate

Translate

Explorer ,
Oct 27, 2015 Oct 27, 2015

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I am so tired of this and have started the process of Switching to Capture one, which has much greater tools for grading, masking, sharpening, noise reduction etc. and most importantly works in every aspect and then it is like a race horse compared to Lightroom. In my view Lightroom has turned in to a catastrophy due for retirement.

Votes

Translate

Translate

LEGEND ,
Nov 05, 2015 Nov 05, 2015

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi there,

I've been searching without succes on Google moreover to find a solution for the following nasty problem:

In Lightroom CC2015 the devellop module shows the wrong preview file once a PSD-File is reopend from Lightroom to make further changes. The preview only updates in library module, but as soon as I get back to the develop module it jumps back to the elder version of the PSD-preview.

I tried to render new previews, but that didn't work. The only way to get the correct preview is deleting the file preview and reimport the file/synchronize the folder or just to close Lightroom and start again. Only then the correct preview is shown.

Does anyone hase this problem to and has a solution?

Thanks!

Votes

Translate

Translate

LEGEND ,
Nov 09, 2015 Nov 09, 2015

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

A photo is brought into LR but not edited. Then sent over to PS for spot removal (cuz it's so slow in LR) on the original photo. Saved as TIF. When return to LR, the edits are seen as expected in the Library. However, none of the PS edits are found in Develop. I have to sign out and back into LR in order for the edits to be seen in the Develop module.

Votes

Translate

Translate

LEGEND ,
Nov 16, 2015 Nov 16, 2015

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

After the latest update to Lightroom CC 2015 6.1, once a .tif file is updated in photoshop, the image will not update in the develop module unless you restart Lightroom. It seems to work fine in the library module.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Participant ,
Nov 16, 2015 Nov 16, 2015

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have not seen a problem in any other formats other than tiff, but if I use any external editor call from the LR development module when the file is saved out of that external editor and things return back to LR those changes are not showing up until lightroom is restarted.

Win10 LR CC

Lightroom version: CC 2015.2.1 [ 1046594 ]
License: Creative Cloud
Operating system: Windows 10
Version: 10.0
Application architecture: x64

External editors include Photoshop CC latest current release and DxO Labs filmpack 5. I have reported this bug since moving to LRCC and it appears again that it still has not been addressed. When will this get fixed?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Adobe Employee ,
Nov 17, 2015 Nov 17, 2015

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This issue should be corrected by the Lightroom CC 2015.3/6.3 which is available today.

Details here: http://blogs.adobe.com/lightroomjourn...

Votes

Translate

Translate

Explorer ,
Nov 17, 2015 Nov 17, 2015

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I can't wait to get home now 😉

Votes

Translate

Translate

Participant ,
Nov 19, 2015 Nov 19, 2015

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Well I downloaded this last night and I still have this problem after the upgrade. I have logged in and out of my account many times,and still I have to restart LR to pick up changes...unless I wait for several hours .

When is this thing going to be fixed. It worked fine in LR 5.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Sure you got the LR Update installed?
Works without problems here now...

Votes

Translate

Translate

Participant ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Lightroom version: CC 2015.3 [ 1052427 ]
System architecture: x64
Logical processor count: 8
Processor speed: 2.2 GHz
Built-in memory: 12241.7 MB
Real memory available to Lightroom: 12241.7 MB
Real memory used by Lightroom: 855.8 MB (6.9%)
Virtual memory used by Lightroom: 813.6 MB
Memory cache size: 312.4 MB
Maximum thread count used by Camera Raw: 8
Camera Raw SIMD optimization: SSE2,AVX
System DPI setting: 96 DPI
Desktop composition enabled: Yes
Displays: 1) 1920x1080
Input types: Multitouch: No, Integrated touch: No, Integrated pen: No, External touch: No, External pen: No, Keyboard: No

Graphics Processor Info:
GeForce GTX 660M/PCIe/SSE2

Check OpenGL support: Passed
Vendor: NVIDIA Corporation
Version: 3.3.0 NVIDIA 353.54
Renderer: GeForce GTX 660M/PCIe/SSE2
LanguageVersion: 3.30 NVIDIA via Cg compiler

Application folder: C:\Program Files\Adobe\Adobe Lightroom
Library Path: C:\Users\Clark\Pictures\2015\2015-2.lrcat
Settings Folder: C:\Users\Clark\AppData\Roaming\Adobe\Lightroom

Installed Plugins:
1) Canon Tether Plugin
2) Export to Photomatix Pro
3) Facebook
4) Flickr
5) jf SmugMug
6) Leica Tether Plugin
7) Nikon Tether Plugin
8) SmugMug

Config.lua flags: None

Adapter #1: Vendor : 10de
D

Votes

Translate

Translate

Adobe Employee ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Which app or plug-in are you making changes in?

What OS/version are you running on?

Can you go to Help>System Info... and let me know what the first line of text is in that dialog?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Participant ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I am using DxO filmpack 5 and PS CC Win 10 and see my previous for system info

Votes

Translate

Translate

Participant ,
Nov 20, 2015 Nov 20, 2015

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have also no tried completely uninstalling and re-installing and that did not resolve the problem.

Observations:
Filmpack 5 creates and imports a tiff copy of the file when selecting edit with LR adjustments...then opens its program to make alterations and saves out the file back to disk

LR does not refresh the image even though the file on disk is different than the file currently stored in memory. At times the film strip will flash the changes, but when the image is selected it will revert to the in memory version rather then reloading the image from file.

In LR 5 and earlier, these changes were picked up immediately when returning back to LR from the DxO filmpack software.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Participant ,
Nov 20, 2015 Nov 20, 2015

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Oh and occasionally when closing LR to pick up changes I get a message about still writing to xmp files which of course should not be occurring when working with tiff files as xmp files are specific to RAW files. The original shots for my images are RAW. I edit in LR then export to PS cc and save back to LR as a PSD. from here I export into filmpack 5 as a tiff and save once changes are complete. I go back to lightroom and the filmpack changes are not visible in LR as they had been in previous versions. Between each export I will often make more minor adjustments in LR to the PSD or tiff file. On occasion if I wait for say an hour, the changes will magically be picked up. not always and in some case the film strip show the changes but not the image view and when clicking on the film strip, the film strip will revert back to the un modified version of the image.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Explorer ,
Nov 27, 2015 Nov 27, 2015

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Ok. Seems there is a new issue. Now when a file which was edited externally is being imported back there a development settings automatically applied to it?! It seems like some development settings from a previous file/session are stored and applied to the newly imported tiff?!

Votes

Translate

Translate

LEGEND ,
Dec 14, 2015 Dec 14, 2015

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Not fixed - 6.3 + Win10.

My workflow is to externally edit a TIF copy in Portrait Pro Studio. LR correctly displays the new copies created in this way, but the preview refuses to display the actual edited photo - so if I've done skin edits in PPS and saved them to the TIF, LR does not show these edits at all. Also, if I copy settings from another photo and paste them onto the problematic copies, the pasted settings aren't displayed.

This goes beyond just the display of previews - I've checked export and when I export from LR to JPG the skin edits are totally absent.

This has totally broken my workflow and I'm stuck on critical jobs without the ability to fix skin properly.

Lightroom version: CC 2015.3 [ 1052427 ]

Votes

Translate

Translate

New Here ,
Apr 22, 2016 Apr 22, 2016

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LR 2015.5 Edited photo in PS doesn't refresh in Develop module, changes only show up in Library module.

😞

Votes

Translate

Translate

Participant ,
Jul 10, 2016 Jul 10, 2016

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

After a long bit of study and research I found the real solution to this problem. In the catalog settings there is an option to automatically write out changes in the xmp files. If this is checked the changes are not picked up by LR until restarted. I had noticed there was an occasional message about not completing writing out the xmp file and it would complete the next time LR was restarted.

Unchecking this option allows the changes to be picked up immediately. Hope this helps someone else having similar problems.

Under catalog settings in the file handling tab you will see this option. If it is checked, try unchecking it and see if this allows your edits to be picked up when closing third-party applications work from LR.

Votes

Translate

Translate

LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Which exact version of LR are you running?  (Do Help > System Info.)

Votes

Translate

Translate

Participant ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The latest and greatest.

Lightroom version: CC 2015.6 [ 1078672 ]License: Creative Cloud
Logical processor count: 8
Processor speed: 2.2 GHz
Built-in memory: 12241.7 MB
Real memory available to Lightroom: 12241.7 MB
Real memory used by Lightroom: 1983.9 MB (16.2%)
Virtual memory used by Lightroom: 4801.8 MB
Memory cache size: 3195.5 MB
Maximum thread count used by Camera Raw: 8
Camera Raw SIMD optimization: SSE2,AVX
System DPI setting: 96 DPI
Desktop composition enabled: Yes
Displays: 1) 1920x1080
Input types: Multitouch: No, Integrated touch: No, Integrated pen: No, External touch: No, External pen: No, Keyboard: No

Graphics Processor Info: 
GeForce GTX 660M/PCIe/SSE2

Check OpenGL support: Passed
Vendor: NVIDIA Corporation
Version: 3.3.0 NVIDIA 353.54
Renderer: GeForce GTX 660M/PCIe/SSE2
LanguageVersion: 3.30 NVIDIA via Cg compiler

Application folder: C:\Program Files\Adobe\Adobe Lightroom
Library Path: C:\Users\Clark\Pictures\2016\2016.lrcat
Settings Folder: C:\Users\Clark\AppData\Roaming\Adobe\Lightroom

Installed Plugins: 
1) Canon Tether Plugin