• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

P: Synchronize folder does not import new images unless show import dialog is active

Community Beginner ,
Oct 05, 2015 Oct 05, 2015

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Lightroom CC 2015.2 does not import new images with "Synchronize folder" unless "Show import dialog before importing" is ticked and imported that way. It does show that there are X new images to import, but just gives "No photos or videos were found to import." dialog after pressing "Synchronize". Using Windows 10 and images are on a mapped network drive.This has worked fine with all previous versions dating back to LR 3 or so when I started using it and definitely still with 2015.1.1 yesterday.

Bug Fixed
TOPICS
macOS , Windows

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

New Here , Dec 01, 2015 Dec 01, 2015
CC Release 2015.3 fixed the issue.

Votes

Translate

Translate
replies 112 Replies 112
112 Comments
LEGEND ,
Oct 20, 2015 Oct 20, 2015

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This worked for me but seems an unnecessary workaround that wasn't needed before

Votes

Translate

Translate

LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I can't find the relevant forum messages, but I recall that LR considers two photos "duplicates" if they have the same filename, date (not sure if that's OS file creation date or capture date recorded in the metadata), and size. Do the pairs of photos that are falsely considered duplicates meet those criteria?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Yep, filename at the time of import (which is not necessarily the same as the current catalog filename) plus capture date/time plus file size.

Votes

Translate

Translate

New Here ,
Oct 21, 2015 Oct 21, 2015

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The issue is not how Lr identifies 'duplicates' but the fact that having done so it will not let you import them under any circumstances.

It would certainly be possible to tweak the duplicate detection algorithm so that these particular files would not have been flagged. However no such algorithm will ever be infallible, so Lr must provide a user override.

Votes

Translate

Translate

LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

"The issue is not how Lr identifies 'duplicates' but the fact that having done so it will not let you import them under any circumstances."

I definitely agree that LR should let you import what it considers duplicates. But it seemed odd that it was flagging some of your stereo pairs as duplicates -- as you said, "something more fundamental". I would guess that it would be extremely rare for a stereo pair to have the same exact bytesize (unless the images were pure black or white).

This is why it would be worthwhile to check if the pairs had the exact same bytesize, so that, independent of the option for importing duplicates (which Adobe has recently said they'll bring back: http://blogs.adobe.com/lightroomjourn...), if there's an issue with duplicate detection, we can highlight that as well.

Votes

Translate

Translate

New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Sony ARW's tend to come in specific sizes. If you want to improve the duplicates algorithm, my top suggestion would be better awareness of the directory structure of the source -- Lr is quite weak on that, as you know.

Votes

Translate

Translate

New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

BTW all that blog post promises is restoring the import behavior of version 6.1.1 -- which also has the defect I am complaining about.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

In 6.1.1, the import dialog has a checkbox marked "Don't Import Suspected Duplicates". Are you saying that it still won't import them if that is unchecked?

Votes

Translate

Translate

LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

"Sony ARW's tend to come in specific sizes. "

What are the sizes of the pairs of photos that LR considered duplicate? Do all such pairs have the same size? My ARWs come in block sizes of 512 bytes, which may be large enough to mask size differences between stereo pairs, but it would be worthwhile to have the facts.

Votes

Translate

Translate

New Here ,
Oct 22, 2015 Oct 22, 2015

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I've duplicated photos using Bridge but LR won't let me import them when synchronizing folders.....

(Import dialog active)

Votes

Translate

Translate

LEGEND ,
Oct 22, 2015 Oct 22, 2015

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The ability to import duplicates was removed in CC 2015.2 / 6.2. If you want that ability, you'll have to roll back to CC 2015.1.1 / 6.1.1: http://www.lightroomqueen.com/how-do-...

Votes

Translate

Translate

New Here ,
Oct 23, 2015 Oct 23, 2015

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks, but these files are not duplicates, Lr only guesses they are. And, 6.1.1 has the same defect.

Votes

Translate

Translate

New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Facts, shmacts. Lr should let me import these files, period. I know what I am doing, and Adobe does not.

Votes

Translate

Translate

LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

"these files are not duplicates, Lr only guesses they are."

Do they have the same filename, capture date, and exact byte size? If not, then we should file a bug report, because LR's heuristic is not working as intended.

If they do have the same filename, capture date, and exact byte size, then you should file a separate feature request to improve LR's duplicate detection heuristic.

Votes

Translate

Translate

LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

"6.1.1 has the same defect".

6.1.1 uses the filename/capture date/exact byte size heuristic for determining suspected duplicates. But its Import window has the option "Don't Import Suspected Duplicates". If you uncheck that option, the stereo pairs should now import. If they do, then LR 6.1.1 is working as designed, and if you want it to work differently, you should file a separate feature request.

If they don't import, then you should file a separate bug report.

(This topic here is about a separate issue with Import in LR 2105.2.)

Votes

Translate

Translate

LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

We're just trying to help you get your work done and provide more effective feedback to Adobe. The more clearly stated the issue is, the more likely your feedback will influence Adobe. As it stands, we still don't know whether the LR 6 suspected-duplicates heuristic is working as designed on your photos, and we still don't know whether LR 6.1.1 will let you import your photos when you uncheck the option "Don't Import Suspected Duplicates".

Votes

Translate

Translate

New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

(I know that. My post was moved into this topic by some well-meaning -- but not very bright -- Adobe operative, or bot. Just the kind of thing I am complaining about)

Votes

Translate

Translate

LEGEND ,
Oct 28, 2015 Oct 28, 2015

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have the same issue, driving me nuts.

Votes

Translate

Translate

New Here ,
Oct 30, 2015 Oct 30, 2015

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

It's even worse. I'm using Lightroom 20.15.2.1 with a MacPro, OS 10.10.5.

I can't get Lightroom to sync three Olympus RAW files (e.g. filename P8210002.ORF) in a folder with two Canon RAW files (e.g. filename IMG_8125.CR2 with sidecars) that it did sync. In all cases, I was using the "Show import dialog before importing" option turned on.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Adobe Employee ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

See this workaround: https://helpx.adobe.com/lightroom/kb/...

The other option is to roll back to the 6.1.1 update until things are reverted and corrected: https://helpx.adobe.com/lightroom/kb/...

Votes

Translate

Translate

New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Please notice that in my original problem specification quoted below, I explicitly said that I had turned on the "Show import dialog before importing" option.

James Huff less than a minute ago
It's even worse. I'm using Lightroom 20.15.2.1 with a MacPro, OS 10.10.5.

I can't get Lightroom to sync three Olympus RAW files (e.g. filename P8210002.ORF) in a folder with two Canon RAW files (e.g. filename IMG_8125.CR2 with sidecars) that it did sync. In all cases, I was using the "Show import dialog before importing" option turned on.

Votes

Translate

Translate

LEGEND ,
Nov 02, 2015 Nov 02, 2015

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I also have the same issue. Haven't done an import in a while but just encountered the same problem in both of two different catalogs. Although the synchronize feature didn't work, I was able to do an import and it added the new folder.

I am also running Win 7 Pro. Looking forward to hearing for a fix.

Votes

Translate

Translate

New Here ,
Nov 03, 2015 Nov 03, 2015

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I just had the same problem with Lightroom 6.2. Even with Show Import Dialog checked it still refused to synchronize a new folder. I found that it apparently didn't like the hyphen (dash) I'd put into a folder name. Note that I have other folders with hyphenated names an LR5 had no trouble with them at all.

Votes

Translate

Translate

New Here ,
Nov 07, 2015 Nov 07, 2015

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This is a ridiculous situation but the workaround I have used that works is following the following Adobe help link. This workaround has been mentioned previously.

https://helpx.adobe.com/lightroom/kb/...

Votes

Translate

Translate

New Here ,
Nov 07, 2015 Nov 07, 2015

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I tried the workaround. LR didn't even see the folder until I removed the hyphen.

Votes

Translate

Translate