• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

P: Error 156 on update

Community Beginner ,
Feb 13, 2018 Feb 13, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

When trying to install the last couple updates to Lightroom CC or Lightroom Classic CC, I get errors and it fails to install.  This was reported at the last one as well, See this thread

The Photoshop and RAW updated without issue, before applying the workaround.

Windows 10-based PC with multiple drives, build 1709 (OS build 16299.192).

Exit Code: 156
-------------------------------------- Summary -------------------------------------- - 2 fatal error(s), 0 error(s), 3 warnings(s) FATAL: Error (Code = 156) executing in command 'CreateSymlinkCommand' for package: 'AdobeLightroomCC-mul', version:1.2.0.201801311556FATAL: Error occurred in install of package (Name: AdobeLightroomCC-mul Version: 1.2.0.201801311556). Error code: '156'WARN: Unable to delete directory "D:\Cloud Storage". Error 32 The process cannot access the file because it is being used by another process.. Check and correct folder & parent directory permissions and then try again.WARN: Warning (Code = 149) executing command DeleteDirectoryCommandWARN: Unable to create symlink at "[UserDocuments]\..\Desktop\Lightroom CC.lnk"-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

This is due top the fact that my user Documents directory is not on the same drive as my programs.  I have a 240GB SSD as my OS drive (Drive C), and a 3 TB as my data drive (Drive D).  My Documents, Pictures, Videos, etc. are on my D drive, not C, as they will not fit on the OS drive, nor do they need the performance.

A workaround that should not be needed, is to move the Documents directory to the D drive, and then it installs correctly without issue.  I do not know why it uses the documents location to place a desktop shortcut (Nor why it must put one there when I just delete it).  It doesn't care about where the desktop folder is located, which seems strange.

In addition, my laptop now uses the same setup with a 256 GB M.2 SSD and a HDD, and had to do the same.

Workaround steps:

1. Open Windows Explorer
  2. Right-click on Documents, select Properties (Should have a link to it pinned in the top of the left folder column)
  3. Select Location Tab and change the location to the C Drive.  (Note where you had it before)
  4. Say no to moving the files. 
  5. Hit apply, not OK & leave the properties window open
  6. Run the Lightroom CC and/or Lightroom Classic CC installer
  7. When the install is done, go back to the properties and move the Location back to where you had it.
  8. Hit OK to close the properties.
Bug Fixed
TOPICS
macOS , Windows

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
5 Comments
Community Beginner ,
Feb 15, 2018 Feb 15, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have this error message, cannot use 7.2 nor get back to 7.1

FATAL: Error (Code = 156) executing in command 'CreateSymlinkCommand' for package: 'AdobeLightroom-mul', version:7.2.0.1156743
FATAL: Error occurred in install of package (Name: AdobeLightroom-mul Version: 7.2.0.1156743). Error code: '156'
WARN: Unable to delete file at "C:\Users\Bryan\Documents\..\Desktop\Adobe Lightroom Classic CC.lnk". Error 5 Access is denied.
WARN: Unable to create symlink at "C:\Users\Bryan\Documents\..\Desktop\Adobe Lightroom Classic CC.lnk"

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Try deleting the desktop shortcut for the Lightroom/Lightroom Classic -- the first warn is just that it doesn't have the rights to delete it, so it fails with placing it.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank you for the reply.  I eventually got help from an Adobe tech.  It turned out to be Windows Defender blocking access to some folders the installer needed.  I am up and running now.

Votes

Translate

Translate

LEGEND ,
Apr 26, 2018 Apr 26, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Having the same problem here, at last resort I contacted Tech Support, they told me all fixed, but I informed it was at the end of downloading that is where it comes up as FAILED (and a prompt to retry) he refused to stay online until the end and now it's done the same again. I've checked above regarding your work around but my documents already reside in my C drive, giving it one more go before I try Tech support again (I've had 12 attempts at downloading this, frustrating to say the least)

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community Beginner ,
Apr 26, 2018 Apr 26, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST
What was the error message?  I have noticed the Lightroom CC now also needs the desktop folder on the c drive.

Votes

Translate

Translate