Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

P: Message: "The catalog could not be opened due to an unexpected error."

Community Beginner ,
Mar 18, 2021 Mar 18, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This issue has returned.

The catalog opened ONCE (and only once) after updating to LrC 10.2; I do this as a test everytime I update LrC.

Now, a few days later, I get the pop-up with the error text: "The catalog could not be opened due to an unexpected error."

Bug Fixed
TOPICS
macOS , Windows

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Adobe Employee , Jun 08, 2021 Jun 08, 2021

We have fixed this issue in 10.3

Votes

Translate

Translate
replies 113 Replies 113
113 Comments
LEGEND ,
Mar 26, 2021 Mar 26, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I started using Lr at v2. Today I started looking for alternatives. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community Beginner ,
Mar 30, 2021 Mar 30, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

After 7 days (now March 30) my LrC catalog still opens fine.

I have not been using LrC for anything but testing over the last 7 days.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community Beginner ,
Apr 07, 2021 Apr 07, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

My catalog again failed to open today (April 7).

I have not be using LrC (10.2) recently outside of daily testing to see if my catalog still opens.

Screenshot of error dialog below.

ScreenShot20210407at11.04.51AM-a0e53676-396a-49fa-8ff6-e86ce9cbe40f-1649180928.png

Votes

Translate

Translate

New Here ,
Apr 07, 2021 Apr 07, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

and now it's back 😞  Restarting still solves it but darn.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community Beginner ,
Apr 10, 2021 Apr 10, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Still failing, same error. April 10.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Adobe Employee ,
Apr 12, 2021 Apr 12, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I am curious JPEG - if you simply rename the catalog (and corresponding preview folders) to a different name does the issue persist?

Rikk Flohr - Customer Advocacy: Adobe Photography Products

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community Beginner ,
Apr 12, 2021 Apr 12, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi @Deleted User

Surprisingly, my catalog opens just fine this morning (April 12). I have not made any changes to LrC or to my Mac so I can't understand this intermittent behavior.

Anyway, thanks for checking. I will conduct the test you suggest the next time catalog opening fails.

-JPEG

Votes

Translate

Translate

LEGEND ,
Apr 15, 2021 Apr 15, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I upgraded to Lightroom 10.2 earlier, and upon recently launching it encountered this error. I had to revert to the previous version *and* restart before I could open my catalog again. It seems this has gone on for a month, and there isn't useful, new information available here? No fix or suspected cause? Is this issue specific to operating Lightroom under Catalina?

As an aside, in my opinion Adobe needs to put a lot more work into stability. Constant Cloud Sync issues and anything that threatens a Lightroom library like this is remarkably bad for a program we are to rely on for professional application. It seems like I am spending as much time troubleshooting problems with Lightroom as I am actually making productive use of the program.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community Beginner ,
Apr 15, 2021 Apr 15, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The problem has returned for us again. We cannot open another catalog.

@Rikk you mentioned a thread in a previous post but I can't find it. Any update as we discussed this previously. Its clearly not a hardware issue with this many people experiencing a problem 

Votes

Translate

Translate

LEGEND ,
Apr 16, 2021 Apr 16, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Same here, 10.2 can't open catalog, reverted to 10.1.1 and everything's back to normal.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Adobe Employee ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

If you rename the offending catalog (and its associated Preview folders) does the problem disappear?

Votes

Translate

Translate

New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have not tried that

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community Beginner ,
Apr 23, 2021 Apr 23, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

After almost two weeks for normal/correct behavior, my catalog once again failed to open today (April 23). (Same error message.)

@Deleted User, the first thing I tried was just rebooting my iMac. Then, after the reboot, the catalog opened just fine. (!!!)

So, due to this success, I was unable to execute the renaming test that you suggested.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community Beginner ,
Apr 24, 2021 Apr 24, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I am getting this error with increasing frequency. Rebooting my iMac seems to fix it an allow me to open the catalog, but that is a giant hassle and not always feasible. (April 24)

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community Beginner ,
Apr 26, 2021 Apr 26, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I tried it @Rikk when the problem reappeared and that didn't work either 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community Beginner ,
Apr 26, 2021 Apr 26, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I sent @Rikk several corrupted catalogs. As a former software engineer you should be able to take that catalog and walk through the code to see where exactly it is breaking. There will only be certain conditions that trigger that error message. 

What was  interesting is that just prior to the corrupted catalog it reported a SQL error (the catalog is in a sql database)  therefore engineering should be able to find this problem

As I know with all bugs, unless you are a major customer seeing this, it goes to the back of the queue. Now if you are Peter Jackson trying to render a movie everyone is on it. Been involved in too many of those situations! 

I hope the Product Manager reads this and gives this bug some priority 

Votes

Translate

Translate

LEGEND ,
Apr 27, 2021 Apr 27, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Unexpected error opening catalog. The catalog could not be opened due to an unexpected error.

How to fix this error?

Lr Classic 10.2 [202103041821-226a1211], MacOS 11.2.3 (20D91)

Votes

Translate

Translate

Adobe Employee ,
Apr 27, 2021 Apr 27, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This thread is being merged into an existing authoritative thread for better tracking and response. Please review the official answer (if any) in the second post on the thread for more information. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

LEGEND ,
Apr 29, 2021 Apr 29, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I cannot open in 10.2 or 10.1.1.  I had upgraded to Big Sur about two weeks ago and had not had any issues until today when I got the "Unexpected Error Opening Catalog" pop up.

Votes

Translate

Translate

New Here ,
Apr 30, 2021 Apr 30, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Cannot see the reason to merge this thread  .

Why can Adobe  not just repair the problem.

There are enough instances of the problem in this thread alone.

Votes

Translate

Translate

New Here ,
Apr 30, 2021 Apr 30, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Same issue on a Mac. Catalogs will open directly after reboot but then will not open a second time. Obviously nothing wrong with the catalogs since a reboot fixes. This is hugely problematic.

Votes

Translate

Translate

New Here ,
May 03, 2021 May 03, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I upgraded to Lightroom Classic 10.2, and I CANNOT open any of my catalogs... THIS IS A BIG ISSUE. I am on a Mac Pro, running macOS 11.3, and all my updates to Adobe Creative Cloud have been prompted by Adobe.

Please get this fixed! It is literally stopping my work.

I see in discussions that I can downgrade to 10.1.1, but that cannot be the solution. I can also reboot the Mac Pro, and then it works again for a short while.

The solution is for Adobe to fix the issue, and distribute ASAP.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Participant ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

What is the problem? You can not open the catalog, why? Please provide information on what is happening, error message, system information of you Mac.

Votes

Translate

Translate

New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This is exactly what hundreds of people have been reporting the last 6 months.

I am on two Mac Pros, running macOS 11.3, and since Adobe update Lightroom Classic to ver. 10.2, I open Lightroom Classic, and I try to open any of my catalogs, and I get an error message says "An unexpected error happened" and to try again. I can't open my catalogs no matter what I do, and as a matter of fact, I can create a new catalog either.

The ONLY solution is to reboot my Mac Pro, which luckily only takes about 25 seconds. Then it usually works again, until I shut down Lightroom Classic, and open it up again.

This was reported by hundreds of users last fall, and the fix was that Adobe release 10.1. However, with release 10.2, the problem is back.

My catalogs are located on my Mac Pros, referencing files on my NAS. One Mac Pro is the 2013 version, and the other the 2020 version. I only run release software on my 2020 Mac Pro, and I run macOS 11.4 (Beta 1) on my Mac Pro 2013.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Adobe Employee ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Everyone who is seeing this problem, next time you encounter it please try to launch LrC through command line and share the logs with us.

Votes

Translate

Translate