• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

P: iPhone movies wrongly rotated

LEGEND ,
Feb 15, 2018 Feb 15, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

After installing the Feb 2018 update yesterday, portrait movies imported from my iPhone (6S) are strangely rotated 90o to landscape orientation. Previously, no problem with such files.

As part of my weekly collation of images from my phone, I export originals from Apple Photos, then import them into Lightroom. The specific files I am now having problems with, but didn't have before, are portrait movie files that are part of "live photos". The associated jpegs from live photos are all rotated correctly, and landscape "live photos" have no problem.

I tested and this extends to all portrait movies, not just the .mov parts of "live photos". The problematic imported .mov files look fine in Quicktime and Finder.

Bug Fixed
TOPICS
macOS , Windows

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 3 Correct answers

Adobe Employee , Jun 19, 2018 Jun 19, 2018
Lightroom 7.4 was released earlier today and should have a fix for this issue. Give it a try and let us know if you continue to see this problem. Thank you for your patience!

Votes

Translate

Translate
Adobe Employee , Jun 18, 2018 Jun 18, 2018
Hi,

Lightroom Classic 7.4 was released today and should address this issue.  Please update your Lightroom to the latest version and let us know if you continue to see the issue. Thank you for your patience.

Thanks,
Smit Keniya

Votes

Translate

Translate
Adobe Employee , May 16, 2018 May 16, 2018
Hi,

We have been able to reproduce this and have logged a bug for the same.

Thanks,
Smit Keniya
Lightroom Classic CC Team

Votes

Translate

Translate
40 Comments
Adobe Employee ,
Jun 19, 2018 Jun 19, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

@dAvE Hutchinson and @m4fi3ux , is your experience the same. Once played the thumbnail corrects itself?
Rikk Flohr - Customer Advocacy: Adobe Photography Products

Votes

Translate

Translate

LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Yes, the thumbnails are correct after playing.  Interesting thing though, when you just hover your mouse over the thumbnail, it is wrong, but when just looking at the thumbnails, they are corrected after playing.  

Votes

Translate

Translate

Adobe Employee ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

It may be that they just need to be refreshed and playing them corrects them. Let me know if you have any that won't reorient correctly. 
Rikk Flohr - Customer Advocacy: Adobe Photography Products

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thumbnails are not correct, even after playing but when hovering mouse over the thumbnail, it is correct.  
New video imports work well.
I'm on Mac if it can help

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Rick.

All my videos from several cameras & iPhones played upside down in v7.2 and 7.3, and all the thumbnails were upside down too.
With 7.4 all the videos from all the cameras play the right way up now, which is great!
But most thumbnails (not all, about 90%) for Live Photos from several different phones are still upside down. Even ones I imported back in 2016.Also, most of the thumbnails for regular iPhone videos imported from about the start of Feb 18 are still upside down.
The videos are also shown upside down in the preview window, and they don't correct themselves once the movie has been played.
I'm on Windows 10.

It all worked perfectly up to 7.1...

Votes

Translate

Translate

LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This update is a step in the right direction for this issue but there are still some kinks.
I can confirm that iPhone based Live Photos thumbnails being upside down.

I have also have some .mov files that will play audio out of sync with the video.

Quicktime video codec: H.264 640x480 millions of colors
AAC mono 41.000kHz,
movie fps 21.54,
playing fps 21.54
data size 26.57,
3.96 mbits/sec
this same video plays fine is windows 10 pro from the explorer and quicktime.please let me know if I should post this playback issue separatly.

Votes

Translate

Translate

LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

UPDATE: I have also found that a small percentage of my older H.264 based movies have an issue when you expand the movies to fill the frame and on the duration slider/playback open the right gadget switch to show the video's thumbnail/clip strip that this will be flipped even though the larger movie is in the right orientation.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Adobe Employee ,
Jun 20, 2018 Jun 20, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

For previously imported videos, thumbnails might not get updated automatically in Lightroom Classic 7.4, but they should play correctly. 

Playing the video would ideally update the thumbnail in Grid. 

We have not faced the issue where they do not update with this. 

AndsOff, could you share couple of videos where you are facing this issue to keniya@adobe.com? This will help us in reproducing the issue and find a solution for the same.

Smit | Lightroom Classic Team

Votes

Translate

Translate

LEGEND ,
Jun 28, 2018 Jun 28, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Same problem here, even after updating to 7.4. Thumbnails appear upside down. When hovering over them or playing them, the orientation is correct. See screenshot.

RackMultipart201806281054841pk-e0480ba1-1dd0-4acf-a719-faa6d3ca933b-1801293065.jpg

Votes

Translate

Translate

Adobe Employee ,
Jun 29, 2018 Jun 29, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Could you share a video where you facing this to keniya@adobe.com?

Smit | Lightroom Classic Team

Votes

Translate

Translate

LEGEND ,
Jun 29, 2018 Jun 29, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Too big to email (even a 9 sec video is too big). I've noticed the problem videos are only those which LR Classic have downloaded from the cloud and are location inside C:\Users\<ME>\Pictures\Lightroom\Mobile Downloads.lrdata

Votes

Translate

Translate

New Here ,
Jul 11, 2018 Jul 11, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

My movies now play in the correct orientation.  Yay!  Unfortunately, a lot (but not all) of the thumbnails remain upside down.  This is on a Windows 10 PC with Android (Samsung Galaxy S7) videos on Lightroom Classic CC 7.4.
So thank you for fixing the main problem I was having.  But one issue still persists. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community Beginner ,
Aug 27, 2018 Aug 27, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I updated to 7.5 and experiencing the same bug, thumbnails of iPhone 6s video show up upside down. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community Beginner ,
Aug 27, 2018 Aug 27, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'm having the same problem, thumbnails upside down (see screenshot), shall I send a video? I got wetransfer account.RackMultipart2018082764768epoo-1f68f4f3-9598-46af-9893-0a72a044bac4-217475430.png

Votes

Translate

Translate

Explorer ,
Sep 28, 2018 Sep 28, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST
Running LR Classic 7.5 - Video plays in correct orientation, however, thumbnail is still in incorrect orientation even after playing the video completely

Votes

Translate

Translate