• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

P: Unresponsive after Eject SD Card/USB Drive

Engaged ,
Apr 22, 2018 Apr 22, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This is a reproducible crash that I have found in Lightroom Classic 7.3 running on a Windows 7 Pro 64bit OS Toshiba laptop fitted with a built-in SD card reader.

Follow these steps to reproduce:

1. Launch Lightroom Classic 7.3 and ensure that Auto Import is disabled and the Preference 'Show import dialog when a memory card is detected' is unchecked.

2. Insert an SD memory card. Close the Auto Play dialog if it is displayed.

3. Use the Safely Remove Hardware icon in the system tray to Eject SD Card. An error dialog is displayed stating that 'This device is currently in use...' Click OK to close the dialog.

4. Open Windows File Explorer, click on Computer to show Devices with removable Storage. Right-click on the SD card icon and select Eject from the pop-up context menu. An error dialog is displayed stating that the drive 'is in use' and to 'Save any open files on this disc...' In this dialog you have three choices: Cancel, Try Again or Continue. The dialog states 'If you choose to continue, the files will be closed, which might cause data to be lost.' Click the Continue button and the SD card is ejected.

5. Lightroom has how crashed with the busy cursor whirling away and (Not Responding) displayed in the title bar. Lightroom must now be forced to close.

Following these steps while Lightroom CC version 6 is running does not crash LR6.

So, why is LR7 opening files on an inserted SD card? There is no reason for LR7 to be accessing the SD card at all at this stage and it certainly shouldn't crash when the SD card is ejected.

Would other LR Classic 7.3 users try this too and report the result?

I would like a proper response from the Adobe team on this and by this, I mean someone who actually has the authority to do something about it. If I don't, I will assume that the development or management team are not interested in fixing the problems that infest this version of Lightroom.

Bug Acknowledged
TOPICS
macOS , Windows

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 2 Correct answers

Adobe Employee , Jun 18, 2018 Jun 18, 2018
Hi,

Lightroom Classic 7.4 was released today and should address this issue.  Please update your Lightroom to the latest version and let us know if you continue to see the issue. Thank you for your patience.

https://helpx.adobe.com/lightroom/help/whats-new.html

Thanks,
Smit Keniya

Votes

Translate

Translate
Adobe Employee , Apr 23, 2018 Apr 23, 2018
Thanks for letting us know.
We are aware of this issue and a fix is underway.

Thanks,
Sunil

Votes

Translate

Translate
43 Comments
Community Expert ,
May 21, 2018 May 21, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Yes, we're one week closer to the fix being released. No dates to share though, I'm afraid.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Explorer ,
May 24, 2018 May 24, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Unfortunately, Adobe doesn't seems to know Hotfixes as most software company's are providing for critical bugs to customers before they release their next "normal" update. It's now a month ago since 7.3.1 was released and its still a pain to work with this buggy piece of software. Yesterday i had to process a few hundred files from an event and i lost so many time because the delay while previewing presets, the 2 seconds i always loose, when i crop an image and it first shows me the previous photo, the freezes/crashes during editing and not to forget the slow import and export. Its sooo frustrating working with LR currently

Votes

Translate

Translate

LEGEND ,
May 29, 2018 May 29, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'm experiencing the same frustrations as Renato Richina, above.  Only adding my comments to keep this live and at the front of Adobe's mind

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

After Import, LR used to eject my card and I couldn't access it from any program (without removing and re-inserting it). Now LR (7.3) still claims to eject the card after import but the card remains mounted and  available in the Windows filesystem and cannot be ejected by any means until LR is closed.

Perhaps this is associated with the equally-annoying bug that has LR open any attached removable drive, keeping them from being safely removed. That bug seems like an invasion of my personal property and I hope both of these shenanigans can be resolved asap.
Seems like more and more programmers cheated their exams.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'm shocked that the latest update came out from Adobe and didn't solve this problem.  What are those programmers doing anyhow?  This didn't start to be a problem until recently, so why not just roll back the damn code until they can figure out who screwed up the system.  I'm getting fed up with paying month after month for Creative Cloud while they turn out buggy software.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Explorer ,
May 30, 2018 May 30, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Same problem, ejecting a card, a card reader, or an external drive crashes LR. 

Win 10 Pro 64bit, LR 7.3.1., tested using Sony UHS II SF-G64 card, MRWS1 UHS-II SD Card Reader, External 4TB WD drive.

Some process opens up in the task bar with the title "Shadow" (which in task manager shows as belonging to Lightroom). This provess can only be seen in the task bar, it has no visible window.

I have to kill the process(es) in the task manager, in order to start working again.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community Beginner ,
May 30, 2018 May 30, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I did a small series of tests on this Windows 10 laptop and seem to have isolated the problem.

This works:

With Lightroom NOT running, insert camera card.

Start Lightroom. Import photos from card.

After import, LR says it ejected the card.

Windows Explorer agrees. Card is not mounted.

This is the fail:

With Lightroom already running, insert camera card.

Import photos from card.

After import, LR says it ejected the card, but the card is still mounted
and cannot be ejected from Windows because it is still being used.

Close Lightroom. Now the card can be ejected.

There is a much bigger problem if a USB drive is removed while a camera card has been mounted after LR has started. (In these examples, the USB drive is never intentionally accessed with LR.)

insert USB drive
start LR
insert camera card
import photos
LR says ejected card but card still mounted
eject USB drive
try to use LR - not responding
try to close LR - Windows has to terminate it

Or more simply:

insert USB drive
start LR
insert camera card (don't do anything with LR)
remove USB drive
try to use LR - it hangs - not responding
try to close LR - Windows has to terminate it

Notice the failure is due to inserting the camera card while LR 7.3 is running.
The following all work fine:

insert USB drive
start LR
remove USB drive
use LR
no problem

start LR
insert USB drive
remove USB drive
use LR
no problem

insert USB drive
insert camera card
start LR
import photos
LR says card is ejected and card is actually ejected
remove USB drive
close LR
no problem

So it seems there is a huge problem with LR noticing the camera card insertion, but LR is not set here to automatically open a camera card (and it has no reason to open the USB drive).

Good luck.

Votes

Translate

Translate

LEGEND ,
Jun 01, 2018 Jun 01, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'm not sure if this has been reported, but inserting a CD or DVD into an optical drive will also cause LR 7.3.1 to hang (Not Responding) on my Windows 7 system. Preference ' Show import dialog when a memory card is detected is NOT checked and LR is open in the Library module.

https://forums.adobe.com/message/10419322#10419322

Votes

Translate

Translate

LEGEND ,
Jun 02, 2018 Jun 02, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Like so many other issues that appear with subsequent releases, how was this not apparent in testing?! Even if inserting and removing a memory card isn't in the test script, did this problem not happen at all to any tester? Or engineer or developer who actually uses LR? How do bugs the size of Godzilla ever get out the door?!

Seems way past due for a management shakeup in the Test/QC department(s)...

Votes

Translate

Translate

Adobe Employee ,
Jun 18, 2018 Jun 18, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi,

Lightroom Classic 7.4 was released today and should address this issue.  Please update your Lightroom to the latest version and let us know if you continue to see the issue. Thank you for your patience.

https://helpx.adobe.com/lightroom/help/whats-new.html

Thanks,
Smit Keniya

Smit | Lightroom Classic Team

Votes

Translate

Translate

Adobe Employee ,
Jun 19, 2018 Jun 19, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Lightroom Classic CC Version 7.4 was released earlier today and should have a fix for this issue. Give it a try and let us know if you continue to see this problem. Thank you for your patience!
Rikk Flohr - Customer Advocacy: Adobe Photography Products

Votes

Translate

Translate

Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

On my system the update does fix the issue. Tested before (crash) and after (everything worked fine).

Thanks guys!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

When does this roll out to Europe?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Adobe Employee ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

It should be worldwide. You may need to refresh your Creative Cloud App to get it to appear. [Ctrl/Cmd]+ [Alt/Opt]+ [ R ] to refresh. 
Rikk Flohr - Customer Advocacy: Adobe Photography Products

Votes

Translate

Translate

Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I already got it (Germany).

Votes

Translate

Translate

LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks Rikk. The fix works on my Windows 7 system.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

No joy with refreshes/restarting the app, but "Check for App updates" worked. Cheers for the info though.
(Windows 10)

Votes

Translate

Translate

LEGEND ,
Jul 07, 2018 Jul 07, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST
Lightroom 7.3.1 was released earlier today. After installing it, please let us know if you continue to see the crash on ejecting the card. 
I know that, Lightroom is very popular software for photo editing

Votes

Translate

Translate