• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

P: Export dialog behavior changed: cancelling loses all settings!

Explorer ,
Nov 16, 2019 Nov 16, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

In Lightroom, versions prior 9 the Export dialog had a very convenient behavior: any settings changed were retained, regardless of the fact that Cancel or X (close) was clicked. Now, in v9 this has been changed, so Cancelling the dialog looses all settings!

The behavior before v9 was very convenient and somehow designed with the right intent: one may forget to do further adjustments to the files being exported, so the export procedure must be postponed...

The behavior in the current version, v9 is quite unusable. Ok, if Cancel means cancelling all settings, then let the user retain the settings made already (chosing export location, file type, size, etc) so please add a third button: 'Close dialog for now' (or something similar, clearly understandable). Clicking this button should retain the settings but should not start the export procedure.

Bug Fixed
TOPICS
macOS , Windows

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
26 Comments
LEGEND ,
Nov 16, 2019 Nov 16, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Did you make an export preset of your settings?

Votes

Translate

Translate

New Here ,
Nov 17, 2019 Nov 17, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Many thanks
Tom

Votes

Translate

Translate

New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Many thanks
Tom

Votes

Translate

Translate

New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

many thanks
Tom

Votes

Translate

Translate

New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

many thanks
Tom

Votes

Translate

Translate

LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Actually for many versions, as far back as I can remember and I've been using LR since version one, if you made changes to the export dialog and then did NOT do an export, in other words Canceled the export, those settings you changed are NEVER retained. The dialog is reset to what it was for the last time you actually did an export.
Only if you actually went through with that export are the settings you changed retained.
So what you are seeing is the normal behavior as far as I'm concerned.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Adobe Employee ,
Nov 18, 2019 Nov 18, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi,

Lightroom Classic never stored the export settings after cancelling the Export dialog. There has been no change in v9.0 around this. This is more of an idea than a problem. Converting this to an idea.

Smit | Lightroom Classic Team

Votes

Translate

Translate

New Here ,
Nov 19, 2019 Nov 19, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Many thanks
Tom

Votes

Translate

Translate

Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Please change the thread back to problem.
You should check yourself the old behavior...
On my laptop I still have the 8.4.1 version and I can send you a video of starting an export, changing settings in the export dialog and then hitting cancel: when next opening the dialog, the settings are retained.
Please install an older version of LR and check the behavior.
Thank you!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The problem isn't related to presets...

Votes

Translate

Translate

Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

You remember wrong, or didn't checked the behavior at all...
I still have LR 8.4.1 on my laptop and I double checked the behavior again. Yes, the Export dialog keeps the settings AFTER hitting CANCEL.
If you don't believe this or don't remember well, an older version may be installed easily and may be checked.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Enthusiast ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I am able to reproduce the behaviour of LR keeping the previous export settings using LR 5.7.1 on my Win10 Laptop and LR 2015.14 on my Win10 desktop after an export cancel.

On both devices LR 9.0 however does not keep the settings after cancelling an export.
(I did not roll back to 8.4.1 to check but can if further testing is needed?)

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community Expert ,
Nov 20, 2019 Nov 20, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Sounds like the current behavior is more logical and more consistent with other applications. If you cancel something, you cancel something. It only makes sense that any changes you made in the dialog just before you cancelled are also cancelled.

That is what happens in most other applications too, including in Lightroom. Try this: Choose 'Export' and click on a preset or change some settings. Click 'Cancel' and choose 'Export' again. The original settings are still active, not what you just changed in the Export dialog before you hit 'Cancel'. Or did that change too compared to previous versions?...
-- Johan W. Elzenga

Votes

Translate

Translate

LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Johan you remember, Think, the same as I do. There was times when replying to someones post that I would always said "You Have to Actually Export Something for the settings you changed to stick". "If you cancel the changes you made will revert to what they were before you made those changes"
Last night when reading the reply by the OP to my first reply I tested this on LR 5. In LR 5 if you change settings in the Export dialog then Cancel then Re-Open the Export dialog the setting you changed stay the way you had set them the last time even though you hit the Cancel Button. 
It was strange as I never remember that happening before. For me my memory recalls it just I stated in my first reply and the way you stated in the reply above.
So if anything Adobe changed the export settings Stick/Not Stick when canceling sometime before LR 5 and then changed it back to the way you and I remember it with LR 9.

Votes

Translate

Translate

LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I was suggesting that if you saved an export preset that you wouldn't lose your settings.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I see, but presets aren't suitable for that. Regarding the frequent changes in the Export dialog, I would quickly have hundreds of presets... 😞

Votes

Translate

Translate

Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LR should keep the way it was working before version 9, the 'Cancel' button should be renamed to 'Close'

Votes

Translate

Translate

Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Smit K, please change the thread back to 'Problem'. Thank you!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Adobe Employee ,
Nov 21, 2019 Nov 21, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

It is correctly categorized as an Idea as you are asking for a change to As-designed behavior. 
Rikk Flohr - Customer Advocacy: Adobe Photography Products

Votes

Translate

Translate

LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Rick in LR 5, which I still have installed, it does retain the settings change if you Cancel the export dialog.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

It isn't categorized correctly as idea!
The expected behavior has been changed into worse one.
I'm not asking for change. I'm asking to restore the original behavior of the Export dialog!

Votes

Translate

Translate

LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Absolutely agree!  Looks like I won't be 'upgrading' to v9 any time soon, the new features are nowhere near as important as the Export settings being 'sticky'.   <rant> why do developers think they know better than their users?

Votes

Translate

Translate

LEGEND ,
Nov 22, 2019 Nov 22, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I will load LR 4.4 on my old notebook tonight, if it isn't already on there, and do a test.
But IIRC the way it is now, If you hit the cancel button on the Export dialog window any settings you change get lost (go back to the way there were set the last time you actually exported something).
That is how I always remember it. What you supposedly saw in some previous version (and what I saw in LR 5 on my Win 10 system) is not the way I remember it. So either at some point after LR 4 Adobe changed that or it has something to do with the OS it is installed on.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Adobe Employee ,
Nov 28, 2019 Nov 28, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

We are looking into this.

Smit | Lightroom Classic Team

Votes

Translate

Translate

Explorer ,
Nov 28, 2019 Nov 28, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Please consider a third, "Close" button that saves the dialog's information.
The "Cancel" button can sit there and hitting it should cancel all changes, it's standard behavior.
Thank you!

Votes

Translate

Translate