• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

P: Converting raw DNG to lossy DNG doesn't honor File Extension (case) setting

Engaged ,
Dec 23, 2020 Dec 23, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

When converting a raw DNG file to a lossy DNG file from within Lightroom Classic, the setting "File Extension" is ignored. This setting determines whether the resulting file extension will be DNG (upper case) or lower case (dng).

convert_to_dng-cc33b838-3a03-4473-ad0a-9549ba88e0e8-1493306912.pngconvert_to_dng-cc33b838-3a03-4473-ad0a-9549ba88e0e8-1493306912.png

With other types of raw files, it works ok. But with raw DNGs, the resulting lossy DNG file keeps the same case from the original file.

The only way to make it honor the File Extension setting is to uncheck the box "Delete originals after successful conversion". In this case, the correct case is applied, albeit the resulting file is altered ("-2" is added), and of course, one has to go and manually delete the originals if they are no longer needed. So it's just a workaround for a feature which I think is not working as designed in this specific situation.

In this video the problem is demonstrated (you have to pay attention to the "Filename" field in the Metadata panel after each conversion:

https://youtu.be/gM6LgxUJ4uM

I'm using Windows 10 and Lightroom Classic 10.1 (latest version at the time of writing this).

Thanks for looking into this if you can.

Bug Fixed
TOPICS
macOS , Windows

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Adobe Employee , Jun 08, 2021 Jun 08, 2021

Greetings,

Updates to Camera Raw, Lightroom Classic and the Lightroom Ecosystem products for Desktop, Mobile and Web, were released today and contain a fix for this issue.

Please refresh your Creative Cloud application and install your update when it becomes available. Thank you for your patience.

Votes

Translate

Translate
4 Comments
Adobe Employee ,
Jan 05, 2021 Jan 05, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The team agrees this is a bug and not a Windows design limitation. We've logged a bug for it.

Thanks for the report!

Rikk Flohr - Customer Advocacy: Adobe Photography Products

Votes

Translate

Translate

Engaged ,
Jan 05, 2021 Jan 05, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hey Rikk,

Thank you so much for looking into this issue. Hoping to see it fixed someday!

Thanks again for your answer, keep up your great work with LR Classic!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Adobe Employee ,
Jun 08, 2021 Jun 08, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Greetings,

Updates to Camera Raw, Lightroom Classic and the Lightroom Ecosystem products for Desktop, Mobile and Web, were released today and contain a fix for this issue.

Please refresh your Creative Cloud application and install your update when it becomes available. Thank you for your patience.

Rikk Flohr - Customer Advocacy: Adobe Photography Products

Votes

Translate

Translate

Engaged ,
Jun 08, 2021 Jun 08, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Hey Rikk thanks for the heads up. I've run a very quick test, and apparently, this feature (lower or upper case when converting between raw and lossy DNG formats) is now working as expected. That's great! To be honest, I wasn't counting on a fix for this for several years to come, so I'm really happy.

I won't go into details, but this really, really means a lot to me due to my workflow, and I'm sure it will help anyone converting from raw DNG to lossy DNG, since being able to have control over the extension helps a lot to differentiate between both flavors of DNG files, hence improving DNG file format adoption (hopefully).

Thank you so much!

Votes

Translate

Translate