Lightroom Classic: Develop Presets did not all convert to new format in 7.3

34 Votes
Explorer ,
Apr 03, 2018 Apr 03, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

On the first start up the new LR 7.3 converted 3 folders of develop presets, but not the rest (I have them organized by where I got them).  I can now not make new folders in the Preset panel to import the missing presets.  Any I import only go into User Presets.
Bug Fixed

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 2 Correct answers

Adobe Employee , Apr 05, 2018 Apr 05, 2018
Here is a help doc on the issue https://helpx.adobe.com/lightroom/kb/not-all-presets-are-converted.html. Successfully converted .lrtemplate develop preset would be renamed with a prefixed tilde character "~". If the preset conversion stopped prematurely, you can go through your original .lrtemplate develop preset folders and find the first instance of the .lrtemplate file that did not convert (without the prefixed tilde "~"). And see if the file name has any special characters such as the forwa...

Votes

Translate

Translate
Adobe Employee , Apr 04, 2018 Apr 04, 2018
I've investigated Joseph's issue. The problem seems to be in the file naming of the original .lrtemplate file itself. If the original .lrtemplate file name contains any special characters (in this case, it is the forward slash "/" in the .lrtemplate file name). On macOSX, forward slash "/" has special meaning, which is is the folder delimiter. If you manually change the “/” character in the .lrtemplate file name to a space character, then relaunch Lr and it would convert the preset correctly. ...

Votes

Translate

Translate
93 Comments
Adobe Employee ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Don,

At first I thought I could no longer make a new preset folder but after playing with it a bit I found I needed to scroll up to find "New Group"

Like this:

61041q21g6g_inline-5845f065-1527-44a5-a099-6ce2ccd0c7a8-2092834369.png

Does that help?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi,
so far I cannot reproduce this issue. All presets converted here.
Also I can:
  • right click on a folder and import directly into it
  • move presets between folders by dragging them with the mouse
To create a new folder, I just created a new dummy preset that I deleted when I no longer needed it.

Hope that helps.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Found New Group in the Develop-menu. Also accessible via Alt + Ctrl + N. But apparently this isn't working.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Adobe Community Professional ,
Apr 04, 2018 Apr 04, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Confirmed here.
-------------------------------------
The Lightroom Queen - Author of the Lightroom Missing FAQ & Edit Like a Pro books.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Don, check your file permissions for presets that aren't converting. It's a long shot, but some of mine were set to Read-Only and didn't convert correctly until I changed them. File locations are listed here: Lightroom Classic File Locations
The Lightroom Queen - Author of the Lightroom Missing FAQ & Edit Like a Pro books.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Yes, it is broken.  Has someone reported this bug? 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Is that when you create a new preset?  Not clear how you got there.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Contributor ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

That’s correct. It’s not quite clear, nor is it intuitive but when you click the plus sign to create a preset, at the top, where it allows you to select the folder(i.e. User Presets), click on it and it should be the first option.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

We are having the same discussion on your forums 😉 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I can create a folder this way, then manually import my presets that did not copy and convert on the first start up of LR 7.3.  A cumbersome workaround.    

Votes

Translate

Translate

New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Victoria, how do I restart the conversion process once I have amended the permissions?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Just restarting Lightroom will convert any that don't have a ~ on the filename

Votes

Translate

Translate

Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This is with the presets in the old location? It did not work for me.  

Votes

Translate

Translate

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This is getting confusing with the same conversation in 2 places. 😉  Which shall we use to carry on? Here is probably best so the engineers can follow.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I was just trying to make it clear for Seth, and to confirm I was doing what you suggested.  I have imported all manually, so I am just trying to help now.  

Votes

Translate

Translate

LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Permissions don't see to be the problem.  Folders named A-R automatically converted to .xmp (and renamed the old files with a tilde), but anything S-Z will not auto convert.  This includes those with open permissions.  
I've done to work around where I've created a dummy folder and imported manually - this seems to be working, but also isn't renaming the original .lrtemplate files with a "~" which I imagine will create duplicates once the conversion tool is fixed...

Votes

Translate

Translate

LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Permissions don't see to be the problem.  Folders named A-R automatically converted to .xmp (and renamed the old files with a tilde), but anything S-Z will not auto convert.  This includes those with open permissions.  
I've done to work around where I've created a dummy folder and imported manually - this seems to be working, but also isn't renaming the original .lrtemplate files with a "~" which I imagine will create duplicates once the conversion tool is fixed...

Votes

Translate

Translate

LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

reposting this from the adobe Lightroom support forums.

Updating to the new Lightroom Classic CC v 7.3 I found I was missing a large majority of my user presets.  In this new version of LR presets are converted from .lrtemplate to .xmp presumably to help with previous cross application issues and keeping everything in a central location.  After some digging, I realized they also have moved the active preset bank from the Lightroom to the CameraRaw folder (the preferences menu still directs you to the Lightroom folder which is an issue when importing anything new).  It also only converted and moved about 1/2 of my user presets converting every folder A-R but stopping there leaving behind the most necessary previous "User Preset" custom folder.

SO

1) The Lightroom Preferences Presets menu "Show Lightroom Presets Folder" needs to be updated to direct to the CameraRaw settings folder if that's where presets now live.

2) How does one convert .lrtemplate files to .xmp (or how can I reinitiate the automatic conversion that began when initially I updated the application itself).

macOS High Sierra 10.13.3

iMac Pro 3 GHz Intel Xeon W

128 GB ram

Radeon Pro Vega 64 16GB

Votes

Translate

Translate

Adobe Employee ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

tracking issue in new thread

Please reference the new conversation here: Lightroom Classic 7.3: Keyboard Shortcut for Presets "New Group" not working.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Anything non-standard about the S-Z presets? A different character in a folder name or preset name, something like that?

Votes

Translate

Translate

LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

No, and regardless the standard Lightroom created "User Presets" folder did not automatically convert so that should speak to there being some choke in the conversion process that's not based on permissions.
A few of us are seeing the same issue. https://forums.adobe.com/thread/2473692

Votes

Translate

Translate

Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I never even use presets but my new version of LR is stuck in "updating presets" after 20 minutes at least.    MBPr 13" 2015 16gb 1tb I7 everything updated including OS.   
RackMultipart2018040422845aw1b-8ba87935-4fcf-4d5d-bc39-e58d906f81d3-152725804.png

Votes

Translate

Translate

Adobe Employee ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Try force kill the Lr 7.3 process and relaunch and see what happens.

Votes

Translate

Translate

New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Permissions don't seem to be the issue with me either... all folders containing presets have read and write permissions.  

Only 1 folder of presets was converted for me (and not fully)... it was the first folder (alphabetically) in my Develop Presets folder.  

I have approx 80 folders of presets in total.

Also converted were some presets made by DVLOP which I had purchased... I think these may have already been installed in the ACR folder, so it's unclear whether the new LR 7.3 was converting old presets or just using the ones that already existed in the ACR folder... (at this point I'm as confused as Lightroom seems to be....)

Votes

Translate

Translate

LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Same here only half of my presets converted, have now un-installed v7.3 and re-installed v7.2 which reinstated the lost presets. Over to you Adobe to sort this issue. 

System MacOS High Sierra latest update.

Votes

Translate

Translate