• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

P: Drag and drop GPS tagging not working. Right click on map also not working

Explorer ,
Mar 04, 2019 Mar 04, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I cannot geotag photos in the 'Maps' module of Lightroom 8.2. Drag & Drop does nothing, and right click 'set selected photos GPS coordinates' does nothing. There is no error, no message, no metadata is updated at all. 

On initial startup, if I am very quick, I can drag & drop a photo successfully. But ~15 seconds after startup it stops working. 

My issue is identical to those posted here. https://feedback.photoshop.com/photoshop_family/topics/lightroom-8-latest-update-win10-drag-and-drop...

v8.2 seemed to solve the problem for many, but it did not help me. 

I have provided sample photos and logs to Adobe staff already and communicated with them, but as the original thread is now marked 'solved' I have created a new one. 

I have address book enabled. I am on OS Windows 7 Ultimate.

Bug Fixed
TOPICS
macOS , Windows

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
99 Comments
Community Beginner ,
Jul 21, 2020 Jul 21, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi, you're on the good way.
What you have to do is to restart the import several time and identify where the import process fail (during a specific folder processing). During next import, exclude the portion of your catalog which is corrupt.
After you have re-run the import, you will have a fresh non-corrupted catalog and you will be able to use the GPS again.
Good luck !

Votes

Translate

Translate

LEGEND ,
Jul 21, 2020 Jul 21, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks Jérôme - once I identify the offending folder, I need to exclude that folder from the import?

Votes

Translate

Translate

New Here ,
Aug 05, 2020 Aug 05, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hello
I'm still facing this issue. 
I opened a ticket and a support team had a look. After several weeks, support team sent me an email as they wanted I test and send back the log file. They ask me to use a config.lua file but it was not sent to me as attached in the email. Then, 1min after, my ticket was closed ! 
I was upset and I call support. The guy was not able to find the file and told me he would have a look. 
Finally, they closed the ticket 1 day after ! 
This is just unbelievable ! 

Then, the workaround I found is to use prefered location. Using this, it works, and GPS details can be added. But it takes so much time every time...
Creating a new catalog did not work for me...

Votes

Translate

Translate

New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have the same issue.
When I click on the Map module; it loads the map on the right bottom of the window and dropping a picture on the map does not work.

Votes

Translate

Translate

New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I tried to disable the GPU acceleration in the Performance Tab in LR Preferences and it didn't work.

Votes

Translate

Translate

New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have Lightroom Classic 9.3 Release (subscription).
WIN 10 version 2004.

Votes

Translate

Translate

LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

More troubleshooting steps:

- Update your graphics driver directly from the manufacturer's web site, rather than relying on Windows Update:
https://helpx.adobe.com/lightroom-classic/kb/troubleshoot-gpu.html#solution-4

- Set the option Edit > Preferences > Interface > Font Size to Automatic (or 100%, if that appears as an option).  Restart LR.

- Reset LR's preferences: 
https://www.lightroomqueen.com/articles-page/how-do-i-reset-lightrooms-preferences/

LR sometimes soils its preferences file, and resetting it can fix all sorts of wonky behavior in the user interface.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Explorer ,
Aug 07, 2020 Aug 07, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

It isn't a preferences file issue. It's when Lightroom tries to lookup place names using Address Lookup and gets stuck. I went through it with the engineers months (years?) ago. 

'Preferred Location' workaround is tedious, but has always worked. That proves that it is possible to fix this issue.

If you could disable the Address Lookup autofill feature, it would fix the problem. But they won't do that. 

The simple fact is, they don't care about us. They don't even bother to respond any more. My suggestion, is to find a new product.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Nobody at Adobe cares about this. It's fixable, but they don't care. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Find a new product. They don't care about us. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The issue is that LR always populates place names using Address Lookup when you use the GPS tagging feature. Sometimes that gets stuck, and it crashes GPS tagging. Unfortunately, you can't disable the Address Lookup feature that is causing the issue.

A new catalog can help, because it might not include the photos that don't work with Address Lookup, but once those photos are back it crashes again.

Adobe knows about the issue and has for a long time, I spent many hours with their engineers reproducing it. But they won't fix it. They don't care. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have fixed this with a new catalog too. But the problem will come back. It's not fixed. And they won't fix it. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hello......????

Votes

Translate

Translate

LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I went all the way through troubleshooting with Adobe customer service agents (including seniors). After three or four weeks of emails, calls, uploading catalogs, screen grabs and video captures of the fault they called me to say they can’t fix the fault and it will be resolved in the next release

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Correct.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Did you try the steps I explained in this thread ? Are you successfull when you try to import your current catalog ? In other words, are you sure it is not corrupt ?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Did you try the steps I explained previously ? Are you sure your catalog is not corrupt ? To check, just try to import it in a new catalog first.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Yes. 

At least in my case (and my case is the original from 2 years ago!) the root cause is not a corruption issue. It is photos that Address Lookup can't handle. Photos off-shore, for example. Or sometimes, just really far from a road. 

I have identified with Adobe that these photos break GPS tagging due to Address Lookup hanging on them. And yes, the catalog becomes corrupted. If I make a new catalog, and exclude these photos, it works again. Of course, that's a huge pain in the ass. But inevitably, another photo breaks it again. And we start over. 

It's a known issue. it's solvable. They just don't care. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Yes. I have tried them.

At least in my case (and my case is the original from 2 years ago!) the root cause is not a corruption issue. It is photos that Address Lookup can't handle. Photos off-shore, for example. Or sometimes, just really far from a road. 

I have identified with Adobe that these photos break GPS tagging due to Address Lookup hanging on them. And yes, the catalog becomes corrupted. If I make a new catalog, and exclude these photos, it works again. Of course, that's a huge pain in the ass, because I never know which photo has broken the catalog. But inevitably, another photo breaks it again. And we start over. 

It's a known issue. it's solvable. They just don't care. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Adobe Employee ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Catalog corruption is normally a result of hardware failure, power failure or accidental disconnections of data cables. If you have a catalog that is repeatedly corrupting, it might be prudent to test hard drive, RAM, etc.  Have you done this?

Have you ever had your catalog repaired?
Rikk Flohr - Customer Advocacy: Adobe Photography Products

Votes

Translate

Translate

LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Jérôme - how do I identify the folder that was being imported when the corruption occurs? What happens to me is the import takes a very long time (seems abnormally long for 18,500 images) and gets to about 70% progress before changing to a “stacking images” message. I don’t get an actual error message .

Votes

Translate

Translate

LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Adobe took my lcat. catalog for repair but it hasn’t solved my issue. The speed or the import is improved on the repaired catalog but I still can’t add GPS information to any images once the import completes.

Works fine for 10 test images but the GPS completely stops working once I import from the repaired catalog

Votes

Translate

Translate

LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Jerome - your solution sounds the most promising/closest to what I am experiencing, I am not sure I am following your steps quite correctly though

Votes

Translate

Translate

Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

rick@tunespeak Flohr - from the other posts it sounds more like it is due to GPS tagging being broken due to address lookup - would you please comment on that more pressing issue?

Votes

Translate

Translate

LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

"It isn't a preferences file issue."

I don't think you can conclude that with Antonio's issue, which may not be "the same issue". Rereading all the posts in this thread and the one one two years ago, it appears Antonio is the only one who reports a seriously corrupted display of the map, which is why I suggested the troubleshooting steps above (update graphics driver, set Font Size, reset preferences).

Note that the preferences file stores a lot more than than just the user settings of options in the user interface. It stores a lot of the application's internal state. LR has a serious architectural flaw that allows the preferences file to get corrupted, and this has been shown to cause a wide range of LR misbehavior.

Votes

Translate

Translate