• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

P: Drag and drop GPS tagging not working. Right click on map also not working

Explorer ,
Mar 04, 2019 Mar 04, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I cannot geotag photos in the 'Maps' module of Lightroom 8.2. Drag & Drop does nothing, and right click 'set selected photos GPS coordinates' does nothing. There is no error, no message, no metadata is updated at all. 

On initial startup, if I am very quick, I can drag & drop a photo successfully. But ~15 seconds after startup it stops working. 

My issue is identical to those posted here. https://feedback.photoshop.com/photoshop_family/topics/lightroom-8-latest-update-win10-drag-and-drop...

v8.2 seemed to solve the problem for many, but it did not help me. 

I have provided sample photos and logs to Adobe staff already and communicated with them, but as the original thread is now marked 'solved' I have created a new one. 

I have address book enabled. I am on OS Windows 7 Ultimate.

Bug Fixed
TOPICS
macOS , Windows

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
99 Comments
Explorer ,
Aug 08, 2020 Aug 08, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Fair enough. For me, it does not appear to be a preferences file issue.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Explorer ,
Aug 08, 2020 Aug 08, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

@Deleted User thank you for your response. The first official response in almost a year. I hope you won't disappear on me now...

Maybe 'corrupt' is the wrong word. But I have had this issue on multiple machines now, and a fresh catalog always fixes it, temporarily until I import photos that cause Address Lookup to hang. Unfortunately, I can't tell which photos these are without a very arduous process. 

Yes I have tested hardware, RAM, replaced RAM, and even replaced my machine. The last thing I heard, 18 months ago from Adobe engineers, was that they understood the problem, and it wasn't my hardware. Then they vanished. 

ALLOW US TO DISABLE ADDRESS LOOKUP please! Surely we don't need LR to require this option to fill in the county or city name in Metadata, at the expense of GPS tagging functionality for some users. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Adobe Employee ,
Aug 14, 2020 Aug 14, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

"       The last thing I heard, 18 months ago from Adobe engineers, was that they understood the problem, and it wasn't my hardware. Then they vanished. " 

Can you provide me with information about this interaction? I would like to review it. 
Rikk Flohr - Customer Advocacy: Adobe Photography Products

Votes

Translate

Translate

Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Your very own post in this thread, from 1 year ago, says you were in contact with the engineers. (?) I interacted directly with you and then silence until now...

In May 2019, I met on 'bluejeans' to share my computer with engineers 'Gopinath Srinivasan' and 'Smit Keniya'. Most of what was discussed was verbal. But here is their email response after the meeting: 

"Unfortunately, the requirement to have Address Lookup enabled is mandatory now. From the logs, it appears that there are sign-in issues that cause the Map Service to be blocked initially for certain Locations, and then the geocoding intermittently gets a chance to succeed."

Votes

Translate

Translate

LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi there,

Creating a new catalog from my old one has worked too BUT I should "pause" the "Address research" in order to make the GPS tagging work. That means I cannot resolve the addresses from GPS data automatically on pictures with integrated GPS data...

So now, I've switched to the new catalog. I don't know exactly the impact of such a move on my cache, previews, preferences, etc... Thus for now, I've kept the old catalog and all subfolders as a backup, just in case.
BTW : when switching like this to a new catalog, is it possible to copy the previews folder to the new catalog ? It's 50Go of data in my case...

One last thing : My catalog is quite big (2 Go, almost 124 000 pictures) : the process of creating the new catalog was really long (I had to let it run overnight).

Hopes it helps others to solve that issue,
Mickaël.

Votes

Translate

Translate

LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Just discovered something interesting : I've renamed my new catalog with the same name as the old one and geotagging was not working anymore... Giving it a "new" name and then working again...

Following the test (the best part) : just RENAMING my original catalog (and its subfolders of course) has made the geotagging working again >_<" !

So you can first try to rename your catalog and geotagging might work again.

Finally it looks like this bug might be linked to some kind of preferences in user or data folder of the lightroom program, not because of the catalog itself...

Would be happy to hear about your own tests regarding renaming for this issue.

Mickael.

Votes

Translate

Translate

New Here ,
Aug 17, 2020 Aug 17, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

TO ADOBE:

My Map still not working properly.

I tried everything suggested in this board and the issue is still there.
Please, understand that some of the suggestions presented here takes a long time to implement due to the size of my catalog. So, that means I have spent a great deal of my personal time to fix the issue to no success.

I urge some tech guru at ADOBE Corporation to please look into the Map issue and if necessary release a software update with a fix. We are loyal subscription customers for years.

Thank you,
Sincerely,

Frustrated Adobe customer somewhere in the old' USA.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Adobe Employee ,
Aug 18, 2020 Aug 18, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Updates to Camera Raw, Lightroom Classic, and the Lightroom Ecosystem were released yesterday evening and contain a fix for this issue.  Please install the appropriate update and see if it solves this problem. 

You can read more about the updates here: https://feedback.photoshop.com/photoshop_family/topics/lightroom-and-camera-raw-february-2020-releas...

Thank you for your patience.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank you Rikk, I am confused as your link is a February update. Which version of LR has the fix?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'm a bit confused too, the link is for February 2020 and the link in there to other updates from August doesn't mention this issue? https://helpx.adobe.com/lightroom-cc/...

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

It's a mistake, looks like a text expander snippet. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Adobe Employee ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Yep - copy/paste mistake

Votes

Translate

Translate

Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Today Adobe announced this to be resolved in the release notes of LrC 9.4

Votes

Translate

Translate

Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

OK, might be worth asking them to update the changelog for the Aug 2020 release that I linked to above to mention this too? Definitely be glad to have this finally sorted though!

Votes

Translate

Translate

New Here ,
Sep 02, 2020 Sep 02, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Personnaly, the new release LRC 9.4 has solved the issue. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Also resolved the issue for me - thanks for sorting it Adobe and thanks for all the guidance on this thread

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Considering this issue is there for more than 2 years, I don't really think it is appropriate to thanks Adobe for fixing it today...

Votes

Translate

Translate

LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Fair point! 🙂

Votes

Translate

Translate

Explorer ,
Sep 03, 2020 Sep 03, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Sadly hasn't fixed it for me. I can use tracklogs OK but then if I try and manually place some photos onto the map with tracklog turned off it's still doing nothing 😞  Eventually after dragging about 6 times it places them (this is on 100MB broadband too, so not an internet connection issue)

Votes

Translate

Translate

LEGEND ,
Sep 04, 2020 Sep 04, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Nops. Not working on 9.4

Votes

Translate

Translate

LEGEND ,
Mar 07, 2021 Mar 07, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Got the same problem with tagging. When I place a point manualy, Lightroom sets the point a few meters away. Got LR 10.11.

Any solution in sight?

Votes

Translate

Translate

LEGEND ,
Mar 07, 2021 Mar 07, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Your issue is different. If you're on Windows, see this bug report:

https://feedback.photoshop.com/conversations/lightroom-classic/lightroom-classic-mapping-errors-wind... 

The first reply in that thread contains two workarounds for this bug.

Votes

Translate

Translate

New Here ,
Aug 20, 2023 Aug 20, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I also cannot drop a picture on the the map to geotag. The cmd-click also does not work.

When I set the font size to max it all works.

MacOs 13.4.1 LRc 15.5

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community Beginner ,
Sep 03, 2023 Sep 03, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Turning off the “Look up city, state and country of GPS coordinates to provide address suggestions” setting in “Catalog settings” prevents the problem in my case.

Seriously, how is this a thing? When we geotag something, the reverse geocoding (or failure to do so) should never stop the app from capturing the GPS data. How dumb is that?

Votes

Translate

Translate